+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old visa expiring, how long before can I apply for new visa

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
My father passport and visa expires in January 2022, because of strict quarantine requirements his visit is being delayed to next year, however I’m not sure how long before we can apply for his new visit visa (from Pakistan)
Current visa was never utilized and was issued for 2uears only because his passport expire in 2022
Can we apply now?
thanks

Thomas1987

Apr 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW-DELHI/ WARSAW POLAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 August 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2nd 2015
IELTS Request
Sent along with the application.
File Transfer...
Jan 7th 2015
Med's Request
14th April 2015
Med's Done....
15th April 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 25th 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 5th 2015
LANDED..........
July 3rd 2015
My father passport and visa expires in January 2022, because of strict quarantine requirements his visit is being delayed to next year, however I’m not sure how long before we can apply for his new visit visa (from Pakistan)
Current visa was never utilized and was issued for 2uears only because his passport expire in 2022
Can we apply now?
thanks
renew the passport right away, then you can still travel with the visa which will be still valid on the old passport till Jan 2022. Once he is here he can apply for extension. I have travelled with a family member this way. You can always travel before the visa expires, given that it's covid, I would recommend traveling 30 days in advance (quarantine time) before the visa expires. The only rule is, your passport should have a 180-day validity.

Last edited:

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
renew the passport right away, then you can still travel with the visa which will be still valid on the old passport till Jan 2022. Once he is here he can apply for extension. I have travelled with a family member this way. You can always travel before the visa expires, given that it's covid, I would recommend traveling 30 days in advance (quarantine time) before the visa expires. The only rule is, your passport should have a 180-day validity.
Really? So does he have to get new pp stamped with old visa or just carry both passports together? Which passport number should we give to airline? Old or new?
also, if suppose we don’t get his pp renewed and he comes in September on old passport, would he not be let in by cbsa?
Thanks for replying :)

Thomas1987

Apr 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW-DELHI/ WARSAW POLAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 August 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2nd 2015
IELTS Request
Sent along with the application.
File Transfer...
Jan 7th 2015
Med's Request
14th April 2015
Med's Done....
15th April 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 25th 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 5th 2015
LANDED..........
July 3rd 2015
Really? So does he have to get new pp stamped with old visa or just carry both passports together? Which passport number should we give to airline? Old or new?
also, if suppose we don’t get his pp renewed and he comes in September on old passport, would he not be let in by cbsa?
Thanks for replying :)

Sorry for thé late response. For passport information for flight tickets etc.. you always give the new PP information, never give the old one because that record is expired. When you meet the airline staff or immigration you present both passports.

there is a rule that your passport should have atleast 6 month validity, but there is no such rule for a visa. We travelled in June and visa expiring in July 29th, we already applied for extension once we landed.

Brozachs

Jan 29, 2015
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
IRCC / Paris VO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Sorry for thé late response. For passport information for flight tickets etc.. you always give the new PP information, never give the old one because that record is expired. When you meet the airline staff or immigration you present both passports.

there is a rule that your passport should have atleast 6 month validity, but there is no such rule for a visa. We travelled in June and visa expiring in July 29th, we already applied for extension once we landed.
OK

Reactions: Winner Man

kingwil

Jul 2, 2011
Some countries are exempt from that 6 months passport validity. I travelled to Canada with my passport 2 months before it expired.