+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old passport number on Work Permit

yakuku

Mar 6, 2018
Hello, I renewed my Work permit last Saturday, i went to the border and flag poled, then came back and got my new work permit without real issues, but today that i scanned the paper to send to my employers and i noticed the permit had my old Passport number.

I imagine the officer at the border might have got mixed up and did not realize that the number on the application was outdated, since i handed him my old passport which expired almost the same day as my permit, and my new passport for him to staple the new permit, but in the middle of that he probably got mixed up which was the new one and saw no issue with the number on the application.

Does anyone know how to rectify this? or whats steps to take, i'm planning on calling CIC tomorrow morning anyways, but i'm mostly wondering if someone already knows what to do, since i saw a similar case for a student that had the wrong number on his permit, but did not really specify what his process was in that thread, since the forms he points to (1436E) do not have a specific area to amend passport numbers.

Thanks.

hnd2018

Mar 6, 2018
Hello,
The Application for Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM5545 is the guide and the form is IMM 5009) is what you will need.
Ensure you explain the reason you are requesting for replacement as you mentioned above: incorrect passport number on the work permit.
Hope this helps.

marinajb

Nov 18, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
17-08-2020
Hey can you tell me what happen with you, they had fixed the problem? What did you do?

Hello, I renewed my Work permit last Saturday, i went to the border and flag poled, then came back and got my new work permit without real issues, but today that i scanned the paper to send to my employers and i noticed the permit had my old Passport number.

I imagine the officer at the border might have got mixed up and did not realize that the number on the application was outdated, since i handed him my old passport which expired almost the same day as my permit, and my new passport for him to staple the new permit, but in the middle of that he probably got mixed up which was the new one and saw no issue with the number on the application.

Does anyone know how to rectify this? or whats steps to take, i'm planning on calling CIC tomorrow morning anyways, but i'm mostly wondering if someone already knows what to do, since i saw a similar case for a student that had the wrong number on his permit, but did not really specify what his process was in that thread, since the forms he points to (1436E) do not have a specific area to amend passport numbers.

Thanks.

yakuku

Mar 6, 2018
Hey there, it has not being resolved yet but, i did find this form that lets you specify the field to amend, since the Application for a Replacement seems to be for specific cases:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

I filled it and its already at their offices, i'm currently just waiting for it to return, but it may seem it is in process and i will get an amended Work Permit, since they didn't return it immediately.

marinajb

Nov 18, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
17-08-2020
Hey there, it has not being resolved yet but, i did find this form that lets you specify the field to amend, since the Application for a Replacement seems to be for specific cases:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

I filled it and its already at their offices, i'm currently just waiting for it to return, but it may seem it is in process and i will get an amended Work Permit, since they didn't return it immediately.
Thank you

maismais

Jul 12, 2018

Hey, where you able to travel (most importantly come back to Canada) with that error on your permit? I just realized my passport number does not match on my permit and I am traveling on Monday. Thanks

Alfaz

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017

Thanks.
Hello Yakuku,

I have exact the same scenario that you have. I also went to Coutts Border for renewal of my work permit and they mentioned my old passport number instead of my new passport.

Have you received any clarification from CIC or any updates?

Please let me know as I also have to amend the work permit document.

Regards,
Alfaz

yakuku

Mar 6, 2018
Hello Yakuku,

I have exact the same scenario that you have. I also went to Coutts Border for renewal of my work permit and they mentioned my old passport number instead of my new passport.

Have you received any clarification from CIC or any updates?

Please let me know as I also have to amend the work permit document.

Regards,
Alfaz
Hello sorry for taking a while, I did get a clarification, and they denied to fix my permit since the issue came from my employer it is technically not their fault and so they are not responsible to give me another permit.

It also mentions that if i want to get my permit fixed it would need to be a completely new permit created by my employer, but they did not comment on the validity of it, since they did not mention any urgency to do so.

So for what i understand the Permit remains technically valid, but still i wouldn't risk travelling with it.

Jun 29, 2016
Hello
today i got same problem when i went to border to get my new Workpermit by mistake border officer made same thing than After that i saw and i was discuss with officer that problem so he was did it immediately update in the system of my new passport number but he didn’t giving me new work permit print out .he said dont worry about it .
But i am still sceared in future is getting problem