+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - seems like a sure thing. Am I missing something?

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
I'm a US citizen looking to move to Toronto, ON and am a bit shy of enough points on my EE (I come in about 430 points). Based on the advice here, my best bet is to apply to the OINP as a FSW. I've been reading the information on it, and my understanding seems to contradict with what I've seen alluded to here. I have some questions I'm hoping someone can clarify:

1. The PDF states:
Note: You may not apply directly to the Human Capital Priorities Stream. You must have received a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your MyCIC account before you can apply to OINP under this stream.
If I put down that I am interested in moving to Ontario in the EE application (and meet the other point criteria) is this automatic? Random? What triggers it.
2. How long after applying for the EE pool should I expect to receive the PT Notification?
3. Best I can tell, provided I meet the criteria, I pay my $1500 and nomination is guaranteed. This almost seems too simple - is that right? What am I missing?
4. The program mentions having a finite number of applications per calendar year, but makes it sound like they will refuse applications once this has been met. They seem to be still taking applications - does this mean that they have not hit their cap? Is there any reason I would want to wait till 2016 (instead of applying in 2015)?

Thanks!

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I have read on this Forum and on the OIPNP website the process for handing out PNPs is selective and based on meeting strict criteria.

Paying the $1,500 does not guarantee they will give you a nomination. It guarantees they will process your application based on existing criteria requirements.

Also from reading this forum, some people have created a profile and got an 'Invitation to apply for a nomination' and others have submitted and re-submitted and have received nothing for many days. It seems like a 50:50 gamble.

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
JoacRy said:
From what I have read on this Forum and on the OIPNP website the process for handing out PNPs is selective and based on meeting strict criteria.

Paying the $1,500 does not guarantee they will give you a nomination. It guarantees they will process your application based on existing criteria requirements.

Also from reading this forum, some people have created a profile and got an 'Invitation to apply for a nomination' and others have submitted and re-submitted and have received nothing for many days. It seems like a 50:50 gamble.
Is that criteria anywhere? All I've found is http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/prodconsum/groups/csc/@oipp/documents/document/oi_en_hcps.pdf and it all seems very definitive, which is why I'm confused.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The criteria requirements you have found are for the 'Human Capital' priorities stream under the OINP. They evaluate based on these factors but there are some others such as:

1) Whether your employer is a designated/registered organization within the OINP framework

I think there are a few others but I don't know them by heart.

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
JoacRy said:
The criteria requirements you have found are for the 'Human Capital' priorities stream under the OINP. They evaluate based on these factors but there are some others such as:

1) Whether your employer is a designated/registered organization within the OINP framework

I think there are a few others but I don't know them by heart.
My understanding is that you don't need an offer of employment to apply for OINP. I do not currently have one and was planning on applying without it. Am I missing something here?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just an update, rather than re-create my profile from start to finish, I have edited it to say that I would consider living in all 'Provinces and Territories' as I have received some genuine job offers in the past from other Provinces.

Will update you on if I get a nomination invitation from any or no province.

heeru_maan

May 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TheMaze said:
My understanding is that you don't need an offer of employment to apply for OINP. I do not currently have one and was planning on applying without it. Am I missing something here?
You are correct. One does not need an offer of employment to apply for OINP.

Applicants do not have the details of the criteria and system that OINP uses to send out letters of interest.

It might also interest you to note that if you meet the criteria, are sent a letter of interest, apply within the given time period with the fee and your submitted forms and documents are in order, you will be nominated.
So far, only one member of this forum has decided to send an appeal against his rejection (the reason stated was that his chosen NOC didn't match the job description).
More often than not, they call/email if they require explanations and/or additional documents.

Also, it is not certain if they will be issuing letters of interest during the months of December and January. You might want to recreate your profile early in February to make sure you get the coveted letter.

Meanwhile, start collecting the documents mentioned in the guide.

Good luck!