+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP Masters Graduate stream - Lost job

anniezw120

Sep 12, 2023
I was laid off during the application process for the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) Masters Graduate Stream. Will my application be revoked in this situation, and can I apply for EI (Employment Insurance)?

Reactions: Parthkumar Patel

Parthkumar Patel

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
You can check your Nomination Letter if there is employer restrictions on that. For master's stream it's related to the study so there would be no problem about employment, but better to be sure by calling them to explain the situation. You might start applying for other jobs to keep your funds strong. I advise you to call and ask them, I asked them if there is no problem in changing jobs, they were okay with that.

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
I was told by an immigration lawyer that one should not avail the "EI" if they are yet to become a Citizen of the country. I guess it reflects negatively on your file when you apply for citizenship in the future. Wish you the best in finding a new job, try avoiding the EI route.

Also, the OINP Masters/ PhD streams are the ones that do not require a job offer, unless you used it as your proof of funds. Try finding a job soon and when you submit the docs again, share the new offer letter. Alternatively, you can write an email to OINP and attach the new offer letter.

Feb 20, 2024
I am in the same situation as anniezw120. I submitted the EOI for masters stream, got the invitation, and i have used the job offer letter as settlement funds. It was all done on 01 Feb 2024. Now my company is laying off people and I am in it. Should I do something or wait for IRCC to mail me, and then request them to change the settlement funds to bank account funds ( have 14k in bank account)?
Also, i have heard that, since master stream does not require a valid job offer, it is very rare that they verify the employment.