+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP Masters and PhD Stream 2018 - PR Paper Based

DPT

Sep 29, 2017
Hi DPT! When did you receive your Receipt of Complete Application? Earlier today I got one saying that is was complete and forwarded for assessment, but my status was changed to DIP yesterday. I'm very confused!
Hey Annie,
From what I understand sometimes the OINP system has glitches and changes to DIP randomly.
For instance I read on another forum that someone received their nomination letter and then the next day their status changed back to DIP.
Everyone seems to just chalk it up to system glitches.
Theses glitches seem to happen a lot after OINP has "system maintenance".
But hey, you never know, maybe you got lucky and it only took them a couple hours to assess your profile. ;)

Reactions: annie_s

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
The OINP opened up its Masters Graduate Stream for an Hour and a Half on Janurary 29th 2018.

For those of us lucky enough to register during that time lets discuss our timelines and keep in touch as we move through the process.

Submitted: January 30, 2018
Assessment: March 7, 2018.
Hi DPT,

I’m a new master’s graduate from Ontario, and I’m thinking of applying for the OINP-Master’s stream. Can you share your experience how you got into the queue and registered? Did you do it yourself or did you hire a representative?

Thanks!

DPT

Sep 29, 2017
Hi DPT,

I’m a new master’s graduate from Ontario, and I’m thinking of applying for the OINP-Master’s stream. Can you share your experience how you got into the queue and registered? Did you do it yourself or did you hire a representative?

Thanks!
Hey Jckailum,
I can only tell you about my experience.
I stalked the site everyday, checked for updates and prepared my documents in the meantime.
When the queue opened I tried registered as quickly as I could (though it took sometime as the site became very veeeerrrry slow as others were trying to register simultaneously, and I kept getting an error message for some reason).
I did it myself without a representative.
I wish I could tell you there was a trick or tip, but there isn't.
It took me an hour in total to register after about 15 error messages but I wasn't giving up.
Was it completely nerve wrecking?... Absolutely.

Hope this helped

mimi1980

Mar 5, 2018
Hey Jckailum,
I can only tell you about my experience.
I stalked the site everyday, checked for updates and prepared my documents in the meantime.
When the queue opened I tried registered as quickly as I could (though it took sometime as the site became very veeeerrrry slow as others were trying to register simultaneously, and I kept getting an error message for some reason).
I did it myself without a representative.
I wish I could tell you there was a trick or tip, but there isn't.
It took me an hour in total to register after about 15 error messages but I wasn't giving up.
Was it completely nerve wrecking?... Absolutely.

Hope this helped
Same here. I was eligible for the ONIP program last year but was unable to register despite the program opening the Master's stream three times I would be put in queue but the intake limit would reach in less than an hour. It was pretty frustrating but in the mean while I made sure I had all my documents ready, had my One Key ID set up and like DPT I stalked the site every single day for updates...multiple times a day in Jan of this year. And when the program opened on Jan 29th (between 10:00-10:30 am) I was fortunate enough to be able to register right away with 2 min of wait time. Just be persistent and don't give up. Make sure that you have all the required documents so that when you do get to register, your application will not be declined. By the way having a representative will not give you an edge over the other applicants. The process is the same....everybody has to wait in the queue.

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
Same here. I was eligible for the ONIP program last year but was unable to register despite the program opening the Master's stream three times I would be put in queue but the intake limit would reach in less than an hour. It was pretty frustrating but in the mean while I made sure I had all my documents ready, had my One Key ID set up and like DPT I stalked the site every single day for updates...multiple times a day in Jan of this year. And when the program opened on Jan 29th (between 10:00-10:30 am) I was fortunate enough to be able to register right away with 2 min of wait time. Just be persistent and don't give up. Make sure that you have all the required documents so that when you do get to register, your application will not be declined. By the way having a representative will not give you an edge over the other applicants. The process is the same....everybody has to wait in the queue.
Thanks for sharing. I'm freaking out of the huge amount of applicants and how crappy their online system is. I asked about hiring an attorney because I'm afraid that I might fail to get in the queue and occupy a place if I do it only myself, so I thought getting more people to help with this could increase the chance of success.

annie_s

Mar 21, 2018
I agree! It was constantly checking the OINP website for the updates and prepared my docs in advance. When the Masters stream was opened, it took me over an hour to get through. I guess it's all about patience and luck.

mimi1980

Mar 5, 2018
Thanks for sharing. I'm freaking out of the huge amount of applicants and how crappy their online system is. I asked about hiring an attorney because I'm afraid that I might fail to get in the queue and occupy a place if I do it only myself, so I thought getting more people to help with this could increase the chance of success.
They don't recommend doing that because it would slow down the server and make the wait times even longer.

mimi1980

Mar 5, 2018
Just being curious, so do you guys get any prior notice of reopening on OINP's official page?
Check the official site daily for updates.
Sometimes they give you a weeks notice:International Masters and PhD Graduate Streams and Human Capital Priorities Stream to reopen next week with online application systems
Other times not: OINP now accepting applications to the Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate Streams

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
Check the official site daily for updates.
Sometimes they give you a weeks notice:International Masters and PhD Graduate Streams and Human Capital Priorities Stream to reopen next week with online application systems
Other times not: OINP now accepting applications to the Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate Streams
Sure, thanks for your info!
One more problem, do you guys know how they issue PGWPs based on the length of study programme?
For instance, if my master's degree usually requires 1.5 years to finish, but it actually took me 2 years, is my PGWP going to last for 2 years?

bella2017

Mar 26, 2018
OINP Master Stream
Submitted: Feb 6th, 2018

Already around one and half month and the status still shows submitted. As the OINP website said it always take 30-60 days to process. Is that the normal timeline?

ezk

May 1, 2017
Hi DPT,

Thanks!
Here is how I got my file number and to monitor OINP's updates page.
1. Get a Ontario Onekey account.
2. Get a Distill web monitor plug-in in Chrome. You can use paid(Cloud monitoring) or free version (local Chrome browser monitoring, and you must keep your browser on).
3. Setup a watch-list to check http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNEW.html every 10 to 30 mins.
4. Do not check this page too often like 30s, or they may block your IP add and return 404.
5. Distill will send a text or email to you once there is a new update on the updates page.
6. OINP will issue a new update saying "This is to inform you about an important OINP update to be announced on www.ontarioimmigration.caearly in the week of January 29, 2018." if the Master's stream will be open next weekday.
7. Change Distill monitoring interval to 2 mins. (Actually, you shall NOT do this. Ask for leave for one day and check the update page manually at home.)
8. OINP usually opens Master's stream 9:30-10:30 AM or 1:00-2:30 PM if there is no a major technical problem on that day.
9. Before OINP starts to take Masters applications (45 mins -90 mins) the e-Filing portal will show some system glitches i.e. unable to continue on Im not a robot page or New applicant page showing all gray icons.
10. The best way to avoid the queue is to register/get your file number within 5 mins once they start to accept applications.
11. If you get into the system 45 mins after they start to take applications and your queue is still 30-45 mins, they you are out of luck this time.
12. Triple check your docs to avoid any kinds of reassessment and delay.
13. Take your language test every 3-4 months. You still need to submit your language score to IRCC on federal stage (Master's stream).
14. Using a representative or a lawyer will not guarantee to get a file number. They do not have any ways to register their clients in the efiling in batches. But, they will check and make sure that your docs are complete. Caution, some immigration firms are too small or too busy to monitor OINP's updates. I do have a representative to check my docs or answering my questions.
15. You can setup a VPS and use some python scripts to monitor the updates page.

Here is my timeline.
2018-01-26 3:22:02 pm, Distill via email "IMPORTANT NOTICE This is to inform you about an important OINP update to be announced on www.ontarioimmigration.ca early in the week of January 29, 2018."

2018-01-26 4:54:00 pm, Distill via email "Express Entry – Human Capital Priorities Notification of Interest Please be advised that the OINP has commenced issuing NOIs under the HCP stream. "

2018-01-29, Waked up in the early morning and started to refresh the updates page.

2018-01-29 between 12:00 PM and 12:45 PM, e-Filing portal was showing some system glitches i.e. unable to continue on Im not a robot page or New applicant page showing all gray icons, unable to click (I sill had one session logged-in and found this).

2018-01-29 1:02:00 pm, Distill via email "IMPORTANT NOTICE Re: OINP now accepting applications to the Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate Streams"

2018-01-29 between 1:02:00 to 1:05:00 pm, Fresh logged-in in my primary Onekey account, registered without queuing, no choose the road signs/apartment buildings games, got the confirmation email. My secondary Onekey account was still login before the new announcement but the New Applicant pages was still showing gray icons(You need to sign in again).

2018-01-29 between 1:25:00 to 1:30:00 pm, logged-in in my secondary Onekey account, it was queuing at least 30 mins, but finally got in just before 2:00PM, did not submit any applications.

2018-01-29 between 2:05:00 to 2:12:00 pm, some said OINP stopped Master's intake at this moment.

2018-01-29 2:28:08 pm, Distill via email "IMPORTANT NOTICE Re: OINP has paused intake to the Masters Graduate Stream"

Last edited:
Reactions: ba3qil