+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - International Masters Graduate Stream

Asdx66

Mar 19, 2018
Hi,

I am thinking of doing a masters degree in Ontario and then applying for PR through OINP - Masters stream. What are the other criteria they look for apart from studying a masters in the Ontario Province for 1 year or more.

Does the school really matter?
Are Ivy League Masters Graduates given more priority?

Is Course Completion Just Enough?
No need of high marks or attendance (over 90%)?

Is 1 year masters + 1 year Post Grad work permit enough?
Do you need more than 1 year for OINP to process after Graduation?
Especially since it takes time to build express entry profile and enter the pool.

Is OINP-Masters stream the best for International Master's grads looking for PR?
Any other methods?

How can I check the next date for online application for OINP-Masters?
Since a lot of people tend to miss it?

Any Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamy2536

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
1. No. As long as your school is on the list, there's no difference.
2. Complete the course and get your degree. That's it
3. No one year is not enough. It takes Ontario a few months to process and issue you the nomination. You then send the PR application to IRCC which will generally take them more than a year to process. However the good thing is you can leave Canada and wait for your PR application to be processed. It doesn't affect your nomination.
4. IMO no it's not. EE is still the preferred pathway. OINP has a limited number of nomination they can issue compared to the number of people trying to apply. If you have been paying attention, in 2018 their registration windows closed within hours or minutes of opening, But if you can manage to grab one, it's easier than EE in the sense that you are not required to have any work experience.
5. Keep an eye on OINP website. That's all you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamy2536

Asdx66

Mar 19, 2018
That sounds like luck plays a big part in it.

If I was to get a permanent employer within that 1 year.

Would they help to extend my visa after PGWP is over?
Do you think the chances are slim within a year to find a permanent employer?

What do you think is my best path to obtain PR after doing Masters? (Ontario, or elsewhere)

Appreciate your help for my earlier inquiry. Cheers! :)

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can apply for a bridge work permit if you can submit a PR application to IRCC before your PGWP runs out. In theory it's doable in one year but it will be tight. Largely depends on when you graduate and when OINP opens up registration.

The best path IMO is Express Entry. Even if you have to leave Canada after your PGWP expires, Canadian education + Canadian work experience will give you valuable points. If you have work experience in your home country then it all adds up. OINP can be your plan B.

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Hi,

I am thinking of doing a masters degree in Ontario and then applying for PR through OINP - Masters stream. What are the other criteria they look for apart from studying a masters in the Ontario Province for 1 year or more.

Does the school really matter?
Are Ivy League Masters Graduates given more priority?

Is Course Completion Just Enough?
No need of high marks or attendance (over 90%)?

Is 1 year masters + 1 year Post Grad work permit enough?
Do you need more than 1 year for OINP to process after Graduation?
Especially since it takes time to build express entry profile and enter the pool.

Is OINP-Masters stream the best for International Master's grads looking for PR?
Any other methods?

How can I check the next date for online application for OINP-Masters?
Since a lot of people tend to miss it?

Any Help is much appreciated.

I am struggling to maintain above 75% in all my courses. I am also curious if completion is enough or we need to have a certain percentage:(

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
1. No. As long as your school is on the list, there's no difference.
2. Complete the course and get your degree. That's it
3. No one year is not enough. It takes Ontario a few months to process and issue you the nomination. You then send the PR application to IRCC which will generally take them more than a year to process. However the good thing is you can leave Canada and wait for your PR application to be processed. It doesn't affect your nomination.
4. IMO no it's not. EE is still the preferred pathway. OINP has a limited number of nomination they can issue compared to the number of people trying to apply. If you have been paying attention, in 2018 their registration windows closed within hours or minutes of opening, But if you can manage to grab one, it's easier than EE in the sense that you are not required to have any work experience.
5. Keep an eye on OINP website. That's all you can do.
This stream requires x amount of fund in bank account. Around 13k or something. Would I still be eligible if that fund was from my family members?

Delfim

Sep 17, 2020
Hello all,
I know that I have to keep an eye on the portal everyday and see which stream they are accepting, but are there common times in the year that I should pay more attention on the portal for the OINP Masters Graduate Stream ?

Thank you

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Ok, I did a 1-year certificate program and I was lucky enough to be offered a job of 9 months. This month I have 1 year of Canadian work experience and I was able to get in on ONIP International Student Stream. I have a permanent job but my PGWP expires in December. If the ONIP falls out, I can still start my EE outside of Canada and the 1year of Canadian work experience will help.

Doing a 1-year program is short and if you cannot take the 2 years, you need to be really lucky and all should follow. A lot of risk as PGWP is only once in your lifetime.

If you do 1-year program, you should think about getting that 1 year of Canadian work experience rather than PR. This is the first step to secure some pts in EE. That was my goal actually.

This is not a simple decision, take wisely!

Mkumari

Aug 7, 2019
Hello All,

I am thinking of doing 2 years PMP program in Ontario,Algoma University and then applying for PR through OINP - Masters stream.

But I have a below doubts ,

Is this Program help me OINP- Masters stream.

also, 2 years PMP Graduate certificate Program will consider as Master to apply for PR through OINP - Masters stream.

Oct 26, 2023
Hey need to ask on thing after applying for the OINP master's stream invitation and waiting for OINP response can I travel to India during that time?