+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period - returned PR

Hakai

Oct 21, 2016
Hi everyone, for someone who holds a health card and absent from Canada for 2+ years, will there be converage start immediately after returning or there is waiting period?

I saw policy for waiving the waiting period during pandemic, not sure if it’s still in effect as of now?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, for someone who holds a health card and absent from Canada for 2+ years, will there be converage start immediately after returning or there is waiting period?

I saw policy for waiving the waiting period during pandemic, not sure if it’s still in effect as of now?
The 3 month wait period is still in place but could return at any time. You’ll need to reapply no matter what.

Hakai

Oct 21, 2016
The 3 month wait period is still in place but could return at any time. You’ll need to reapply no matter what.
Thanks for your reply! I went today to ServiceOntario and they are going to issue me a new health card, no waiting period in Ontario as of now.

Rameshvs30

Nov 13, 2016
Thanks for your reply! I went today to ServiceOntario and they are going to issue me a new health card, no waiting period in Ontario as of now.
Hi, we are in same situation. We returned in July 2022. I was planning to visit a Service Ontario and get our OHIP cards. They are expired since 2019 July, when we left. We have valid PR cards.
What documents did they need? I have our PR cards, Passports for ID proof and bank statements and Phone statements for address proof. Did they want anything else?
Thanks!
Ramesh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, we are in same situation. We returned in July 2022. I was planning to visit a Service Ontario and get our OHIP cards. They are expired since 2019 July, when we left. We have valid PR cards.
What documents did they need? I have our PR cards, Passports for ID proof and bank statements and Phone statements for address proof. Did they want anything else?
Thanks!
Ramesh
All documents will be online. You can only apply if you are permanently returning to Ontario since you must be able to meet the residency requirements of staying 153 out of the first 6 months and 6 out of 12 months. You must also be making Ontario your permanent home. If you are not returning to Intario permanently don’t apply or else you will be committing healthcare fraud.

Reactions: Rameshvs30

Hakai

Oct 21, 2016
Thanks!
Ramesh
For documents needed, you could refer to here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card. I don't think they would ask for anything else in your case. I also showed the agent my old health card - wasn't expired and she punched a hole in it so it's invalid. You would need to let them know that you were returning from abroad. Also, be sure to go to a full-service Service Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For documents needed, you could refer to here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card. I don't think they would ask for anything else in your case. I also showed the agent my old health card - wasn't expired and she punched a hole in it so it's invalid. You would need to let them know that you were returning from abroad. Also, be sure to go to a full-service Service Ontario.
You actually also have to tell OHIP when you leand Canada so they can flag your OHIP# so that nobody uses it yo commit fraud. Agree that if you still have a valid PR card it’s important to advise the agent that you have been out of Canada and no longer meet the residency requirement. Seems like a waste of time at the moment ((although legally required so must be done) but especially important when the 3 month wait period returns.

kuldip25

Mar 23, 2021
I HV been issued eCOPR for virtual landing on the basis of PGP on 15th September.

Can I apply Ontario health card immediately.

I HV two documents I.e. eCOPR and Passport.

I can't apply for driving licence due to age.
Please guide

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I HV been issued eCOPR for virtual landing on the basis of PGP on 15th September.

Can I apply Ontario health card immediately.

I HV two documents I.e. eCOPR and Passport.

I can't apply for driving licence due to age.
Please guide
You have to be planning on meeting the OHIP residency requirements to apply for OHIP. You have to be planning on remaining in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months, 6 months out of the next year and making your permanent home in Ontario to apply. If you aren’t planning on meeting these requirements you shouldn’t apply.

kuldip25

Mar 23, 2021
You have to be planning on meeting the OHIP residency requirements to apply for OHIP. You have to be planning on remaining in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months, 6 months out of the next year and making your permanent home in Ontario to apply. If you aren’t planning on meeting these requirements you shouldn’t apply.
Can you elaborate more, as it is not clear to me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are not planning on remaining in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months, the first 6 out of 12 months and make your permanent home in Ontario you don’t actually qualify to receive OHIP. If you don’t meet the residency requirements and use healthcare you can be asked to pay the govern,ent bank for any services you used. In general, O ratio wants to make sure people are not using healthcare and leaving. In general these residency requirements limits healthcare to mostly Ontario taxpayers.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Currently I think there is no wait for OHIP (still have the COVID exemption), you can get the OHIP and visit a doctor.
What canuck78 said is that if you use any medical service but do not live in Ontario and full fill the requirement to be covered by OHIP, they can go after you for the cost of the medical service that you recivied.
So it's best to plan and settle in Ontario before you calim/use any OHIP services.

Lobster_a

Star Member
Jun 27, 2019
Currently I think there is no wait for OHIP (still have the COVID exemption), you can get the OHIP and visit a doctor.
What canuck78 said is that if you use any medical service but do not live in Ontario and full fill the requirement to be covered by OHIP, they can go after you for the cost of the medical service that you recivied.
So it's best to plan and settle in Ontario before you calim/use any OHIP services.
@YVR123 what doc can we show as proof of residency for someone that just landed and has no bank statements or utility bills on their name? @canuck78

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@YVR123 what doc can we show as proof of residency for someone that just landed and has no bank statements or utility bills on their name? @canuck78
Check other discussions. I do not live in Ontario and is not familiar with the current documents needed.
I saw some wait to get their Ontario ID (4 weeks wait) and some start a bank account and wait for statement.