+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP renewal while PR renewal is pending

vabishek17

Mar 24, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My wife's OHIP card will expire in about 90 days (Jan 21, 2023) and we are looking at renewing it soon. Is it possible to renew it while PR renewal is in process? The current PR card expires in March 2023.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My wife's OHIP card will expire in about 90 days (Jan 21, 2023) and we are looking at renewing it soon. Is it possible to renew it while PR renewal is in process? The current PR card expires in March 2023.

Thanks!
Are you current residents of Ontario?

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
I have one question I did soft landing and now out of canada with no OHIP registration , now planning to reenter in canada after 6 months. As per assumptions if Ontario waiting period of 3 month resume after some time before my entry.
As currently my wife pregnant, we are planning to land in mid trimester, does she still have to wait for 3 months or exception are there for pregnanat women in ohip coverage if we thought old waiting period of ohip resume?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have one question I did soft landing and now out of canada with no OHIP registration , now planning to reenter in canada after 6 months. As per assumptions if Ontario waiting period of 3 month resume after some time before my entry.
As currently my wife pregnant, we are planning to land in mid trimester, does she still have to wait for 3 months or exception are there for pregnanat women in ohip coverage if we thought old waiting period of ohip resume?
Currently the 3 month wait period is on hold due to Covid but will return at a certain point. You will need to check closer to your landing date to see if it has returned. If it has returned she will have to wait 3 months before qualifying for OHIP coverage and you would need to pay out of pocket for medical costs. You will have to register for OHIP as well as long as you plan on meeting the residency requirements which are being in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months, being in Ontario for 6 months of the first year and making Ontario your permanent home.

Reactions: YVR123