+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Registration - permanent residency

pawnissimo

Mar 19, 2023
Hello,

I landed in Canada/Ontario a few months ago and became a PR when landing but only stayed for a month. I went back to my home in my country of origin for a few months and now I'm moving back to Ontario on a permanent basis.

How should I answer these questions when registering for OHIP?

1. When did you leave the above address (country of origin)?
2. When did you arrive to Ontario?
3. When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario?

I'm thinking I need to put the date of my 2nd arrival to Ontario for the 3 questions but wasn't sure since I technically became a Canadian PR the first time but I'm only settling permanently on my 2nd arrival?

Also for the proof of residency, is it acceptable if I show bank statements dating from before the date of my second arrival?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you need to use the 2nd arrival date for the first 2 questions. For 3rd question use original arrival date.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Also for the proof of residency, is it acceptable if I show bank statements dating from before the date of my second arrival?
That's false information. While you can do that, you are essentially cheating the system. The rule is that you have to be established in the province. In your case, you need to spend a month in the city in ON to satisfy that rule. Why month? ServiceOntario will accept your bank statements issued after your landing. Usually, bank statements are issued once a month.

joaquinfawler

Feb 20, 2023
Hello. I will do the same that you are doing in the future. What do you finally did? Where you admitted at OHIP? Did you have a waiting period?
Regarding your questions I think that became PR to the IRCC is different to take up permanent residence in Ontario and I would say that you should answer that third question with the date of your second arrival. But I still have doubts on this issue...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello. I will do the same that you are doing in the future. What do you finally did? Where you admitted at OHIP? Did you have a waiting period?
Regarding your questions I think that became PR to the IRCC is different to take up permanent residence in Ontario and I would say that you should answer that third question with the date of your second arrival. But I still have doubts on this issue...
It looks like Ontario is getting rid of pandemic programs so I wouldn’t be surprised if 3 month wait period it back very soon