+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP-Pregnancy

Tashu

Dec 28, 2016
Hİ Everyone,

I would really appreciate your help in this matter.
I am currently living overseas and have been for the last few years. My health card Expired in 2012. I am not pregnant and due to give birth in April.
If I go to Toronto and renew my health card the first week of January Will OHIP cover my pregnancy? I am so confused and cannot afford to pay for it.
Any help Will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Tashu said:
Hİ Everyone,

I am currently living overseas and have been for the last few years. My health card Expired in 2012. I am not pregnant and due to give birth in April.
If I go to Toronto and renew my health card the first week of January Will OHIP cover my pregnancy? I am so confused and cannot afford to pay for it.

Thank you
OHIP coverage will not commence until you have completed the 3 months physical presence in Ontario upon your return. You can apply for the replacement card any time however. In other words, you are cutting it close... You also have to comply with the remaining physical presence requirements even after coverage commences or they will come after you for repayment.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Tashu said:
As mentioned there is a 3 month waiting period for returning Ontario residents. If you arrive back in Ontario first week of January, you will not receive any OHIP coverage until first week of April.

Any checkups/ultrasound/doctor/hospital etc visits that happen during these first 3 months you will need to pay out of pocket for. And if you have an early delivery during the 3 months waiting period, you will also need to pay out of pocket for everything.

You will also need to be very careful if getting travel medical insurance to cover you during the 3 months waiting period, as pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition so need to read in detail what emergencies private insurance will and won't cover.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Make sure you have a plan in place in case the baby comes early and you're not covered by OHIP yet. If the baby comes before you have OHIP coverage, you'll be on the hook for the costs of the delivery. If you cannot afford to pay for the delivery, it may be wiser to have the baby where you are now.

Sweet slim

Jan 5, 2017
Hi I am on my first trimester of pregnancy, and a temporary foreign worker with a valid work permit. I just want to ask if OHIP will cover my entire pregnancy and my hospital cost when I give Burt to my child? Even I'm not open work permit or PR.?
Thank you in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sweet slim said:
Hi I am on my first trimester of pregnancy, and a temporary foreign worker with a valid work permit. I just want to ask if OHIP will cover my entire pregnancy and my hospital cost when I give Burt to my child? Even I'm not open work permit or PR.?
Thank you in advance.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx
You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories:
-you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;

Do you satisfy this condition?
If so, you would be eligible for OHIP so after 3-month waiting period would be fully covered for pregnancy and hospital delivery costs.
If not, you are not eligible for OHIP so should be prepared to pay out of pocket for all pregnancy and hospital costs. Or try to find a midwife still taking clients with your due date, in which case the costs will be significantly reduced with many services done for free

Sweet slim

Jan 5, 2017
Yes I do have a valid work permit and have my OHIP card,and I've been working to my employer for almost 6 months now. Thank you so much for your reply. Highly appreciated