+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP on Implied Status/ Uninsured Pregnancy Info

mikeny

Jun 11, 2018
I love these forums, and thought they were exhaustive, but I've got something new(ish) to add for applicants in Ontario. OHIP can be approved while on Implied Status, and midwives can cover uninsured folks. Here's the whole story, including info about pregnancy without OHIP, but if you just want the letter we sent and our advice, skip the next 10 or so paragraphs.

I am Canadian, my wife is American, and we having applied for Permanent Residency for her as an Inland Spousal Sponsorship. We also submitted an open work permit application along with our Permanent Residency application.

My wife has been living and working in Canada on a one year work visa (through International Experience Canada). We applied for permanent residency and an open work permit in March 2018, received our AOR email (only I received one as Sponsor, not my wife, the PA) in April 2018. My wife's work permit expired in May 2018, and thus her OHIP expired then. She remained here on implied status. This wouldn't be that much of a problem, except that she is due to give birth in June 2018.

MIDWIFE AND PREGNANCY INFO
She was seeing an OBGYN through her pregnancy until her OHIP expired, then we asked her doctor how much it would cost to pay out of pocket. The prices we got were:

OBGYN services for the pregnancy, including delivery at the hospital (except for the hospital stay) - $4000
Since we only needed it for the last month, the price was actually - $2000
Hospital Stay - ~$1300/day
Blood Tests/Ultrasounds - No idea, we were already past most of those, probably at least $2000

These were doable prices, but the OBGYN let us know that they could refer us to a midwife, who would cover us regardless of OHIP coverage. So we went for that. My understanding is that you usually have to secure a midwife very early in pregnancy, but since we were being referred by our OBGYN and my wife was uninsured, we got a midwife no problem. She began visiting the midwife just last week.

My understanding (this may not be totally right) is that midwives in Ontario don't bill the government for each patient, but rather receive a lump amount to cover anyone that needs it. Thus, they can cover the costs for uninsured pregnancies. They cover tests, visits, delivery, any unexpected things at the hospital. The only thing we have to pay is:
Hospital stay - $500/day

OHIP INFO
Looking at these forums, I had seen people who had appealed their OHIP denial with their AOR and were successful. So we tried that route.

My wife went for her renewal appointment on May 2nd, with her AOR email printout, employment letter (stating full time employment, and intending to continue employ her for another year), insurance policy showing address, all that jazz. She was told they could not renew, but she couldn't get the denial letter until her OHIP actually expired on May 11th. So she made another appointment, went back on the 11th, got her denial letter (really its a 'transaction record' with some checkboxes on it). With that letter, we could appeal to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee.

I looked at the example appeal letters elsewhere on this forum, and at the Ontario Health Insurance Act Section 1.4, and did not like at all what I saw, didn't think it would work. I felt like my wife would fit into the work permit class for OHIP (paragraph 6) rather than the Permanent Residence application class (paragraph 5) that the forum had said would owrk. But I still drafted this letter:

----------------------------------
My Name: [NAME]
My Home Address: [ADDRESS]
My Home Phone#: [NUMBER]
My Email Address:

Dear OHIP Eligibility Review Committee Officer,

I have applied for the spousal sponsored immigration for Permanent Residency in Canada. The sponsorship application has been received by CIC (see attached email), the immigration application was received on [DATE], and the immigration application is still in process. I have also applied for an Open Work Permit with the Permanent Residency Application, which is a bridge between now and when my Permanent Residency application is approved. That application was received on [DATE] (see attached printout and receipt).

I was previously insured with OHIP from [DATE] to [DATE], while I was working in Ontario on a closed work permit (attached). This work permit has expired, but I am still employed full time while on implied status while I await my Open Work Permit, and Permanent Residency. I have also attached an apartment insurance policy to show my residency in Ontario.

I went to the OHIP office at Sheppard Avenue in North York on [DATE] for my OHIP Renewal, and the result was NO (see denial letter), which I disagree with. So I request a review.

The law: Regulation 552: Health Insurance Act 5. Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied.

The CIC application is in “different stages of Application, i.e. (1) Eligibility, (2) Medical”, so, as long as the application is received by CIC (see attached email), then the immigration applicant is ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR the immigration application. (Please note: “eligible for immigration” is NOT the requirement.)

This is quite important for me, because I am 8 months pregnant and my expected delivery date is near the end of June. I had expected that given that I am married to a Canadian citizen, and that CIC has acknowledged that I have applied for permanent residency, would mean that I am eligible to apply for permanent residency. And, since I am working and paying taxes, that would make me eligible for OHIP.

Thank you for your consideration.

XXXXXX
----------------------

I sent this as a fax to (613) 548-6557, sent it on May 18th, and included in the fax:
-Printout of AOR email
-Printout of Permanent Residency Application on CIC website
-Denial letter from OHIP
-Expired work permit
-Copy of Passport Photo Page
-Copy of Expired Health Card
-Copy of insurance policy (as proof of residency)
-(I would have included the letter from my employer, but the OHIP renewal person took it from her)

(Please note that I know the letter wasn't very well written, fairly clunky and unclear, but I tried to stick to what had worked for other people in the forum)

On May 30th we received an email from an associate at the appeals board. She asked us to fill out and send back a consent form for CIC to release personal information to a designated individual (so that they could check on our Work Permit/Permanent Residency application).

Then on June 11th, we received a letter from the Appeals board saying that they approved our OHIP appeal (yay!) and granted my wife 6 months of OHIP coverage. But, like I thought, it wasn't for paragraph 6 (permanent residency application), it was because of implied status qualifying her for paragraph 5 (temporary foreign worker).

To quote a few paragraphs from the approval letter we received:

"Temporary foreign workers have an OHIP-eligible status provided that they meet the requirements under paragraph 6 of section 1.4 of Regulation 552. Specifically a temporary foreign worker must hold a valid work permit or other document issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) that permits the person to work in Canada..."

"A review of documentation confirms that you met the requirements for OHIP coverage as a temporary foreign worker as of [DATE] and held a work permit that expired on [DATE]"

"...the ministry contacted the IRCC who confirmed that as they received an extension application for your work permit before the work permit expiry date, you currently have implied status on your work permit."

So IMPLIED STATUS can grant you OHIP coverage.

My advice:
- If you are on implied status, you will be denied at the renewal office (they will have no idea what you're talking about, and will tell you your appeal won't work)
- Get a letter of transaction showing they denied you, and appeal the decision
- Unless you have reached eligible to apply status, (this is different than AOR), don't bother appealing under paragraph 5.
- Rewrite the appeal letter above to include paragraph 6 from section 1.4 of the Health Insurance Act. And specifically mention that you are on Implied Status.

It worked for us, it could work for you too. Let me know if you have any further questions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think there are quite a few inaccuracies in this story. IEC participants have to come with their own insurance so not sure how your wife had OHIP. Don't believe there is implied status in general with IEC it is only due to the fact that you applied for the OWP with the spousal sponsorship. You should be hugging your midwife because although the OB/GYN was not willing to work for free the midwife is. If you are able to pay even part of the fee or pay her/his fee in payments you should. She deserves to be paid for her work.

Ok read the rest of the posting. Still doesn't make sense if your wife was on IEC she didn't have a closed work permit. Think you got lucky because if she was truly on IEC you encountered many people who didn't know what they were doing.

Last edited:

mikeny

Jun 11, 2018
Think there are quite a few inaccuracies in this story. IEC participants have to come with their own insurance so not sure how your wife had OHIP. Don't believe there is implied status in general with IEC it is only due to the fact that you applied for the OWP with the spousal sponsorship. You should be hugging your midwife because although the OB/GYN was not willing to work for free the midwife is. If you are able to pay even part of the fee or pay her/his fee in payments you should. She deserves to be paid for her work.

Ok read the rest of the posting. Still doesn't make sense if your wife was on IEC she didn't have a closed work permit. Think you got lucky because if she was truly on IEC you encountered many people who didn't know what they were doing.

Hi Canuck78, thanks for vetting the story. I understand it seems a bit unlikely.

Regarding the insurance on IEC: I thought she wouldn't be allowed OHIP as well, but there wasn't any problem. She had to buy her own insurance when she initially came for the entire length of her stay (they wouldn't give her the IEC work permit without it), but we applied for OHIP as a temporary foreign worker and it worked. According to the OHIP eligibility:

"you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive month"

which IEC seems to qualify for.

Regarding the implied status: I agree that I wasn't certain that she qualified for implied status because she wasn't 'extending' her work permit, she was applying for a different one. But, it worked, so either we got lucky that people didn't know what they were doing, or this situation did give her implied status.

Regarding the midwife payment: The midwife didn't work for free. "Midwives are funded to provide care to all residents of their catchment area, regardless of whether or not they have OHIP." (from the Association of Ontario Midwives). My impression (talking to a colleague who is married to a midwife) is that they don't bill to OHIP in the same way that doctors do. The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care pays midwives to provide care, regardless of the insurance status of the people they service. They are paid the same regardless of if they are working with an OHIP covered person or an uninsured person.

Hopefully that clarified things a bit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78, thanks for vetting the story. I understand it seems a bit unlikely.

Regarding the insurance on IEC: I thought she wouldn't be allowed OHIP as well, but there wasn't any problem. She had to buy her own insurance when she initially came for the entire length of her stay (they wouldn't give her the IEC work permit without it), but we applied for OHIP as a temporary foreign worker and it worked. According to the OHIP eligibility:

"you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive month"

which IEC seems to qualify for.

Regarding the implied status: I agree that I wasn't certain that she qualified for implied status because she wasn't 'extending' her work permit, she was applying for a different one. But, it worked, so either we got lucky that people didn't know what they were doing, or this situation did give her implied status.

Regarding the midwife payment: The midwife didn't work for free. "Midwives are funded to provide care to all residents of their catchment area, regardless of whether or not they have OHIP." (from the Association of Ontario Midwives). My impression (talking to a colleague who is married to a midwife) is that they don't bill to OHIP in the same way that doctors do. The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care pays midwives to provide care, regardless of the insurance status of the people they service. They are paid the same regardless of if they are working with an OHIP covered person or an uninsured person.

Hopefully that clarified things a bit.
Lots of inaccuracies and you seem to have gotten very lucky. When IEC expires your wife had no right to work in Canada until she received her OWP with her inland sponsorship. She also wasn't allowed to start the 3 month waiting period for OHIP until she hits the AIP stage of her spousal sponsorship. Midwife practices are paid baed on a set patient load that bill OHIP, UHIP or the Refugee health. program. Most doctors have no idea who qualifies for OHIP and sent you to a midwife because it is known they sometimes take some uninsured cases usually in the case of financial need. The cost of your birth was likely absorbed by the midwifery practice by taking on another insured patient to make up for your uninsured birth. If OHIP has set a guaranteed income based on their previous regular billing the midwife must of thought your OB felt you were in need if she was contacted directly. Although midwives work is based on their catchment area they are paid to service insured patients. Most practice limit how many uninsured patients because they are paid by OHIP and UHIP and either bill per client or their salaries are based on proof of their insured patient load. I am pretty shocked that if they only take a few uninsured patients per year in their midwife centre there is no means testing because there is a huge demand for those "free births". Also your wife got a spot with a midwife while an OHIP PR r Canadian got refused which seems wrong given the huge demand for midwifery services. If you feel like you got lucky you should consider paying the midwife centres. They don't make a lot of money based on the hours they put in and are always needing to purchase new supplies. Many are run as non-profits.

Shubh777

Aug 25, 2018
I love these forums, and thought they were exhaustive, but I've got something new(ish) to add for applicants in Ontario. OHIP can be approved while on Implied Status, and midwives can cover uninsured folks. Here's the whole story, including info about pregnancy without OHIP, but if you just want the letter we sent and our advice, skip the next 10 or so paragraphs.

I am Canadian, my wife is American, and we having applied for Permanent Residency for her as an Inland Spousal Sponsorship. We also submitted an open work permit application along with our Permanent Residency application.

My wife has been living and working in Canada on a one year work visa (through International Experience Canada). We applied for permanent residency and an open work permit in March 2018, received our AOR email (only I received one as Sponsor, not my wife, the PA) in April 2018. My wife's work permit expired in May 2018, and thus her OHIP expired then. She remained here on implied status. This wouldn't be that much of a problem, except that she is due to give birth in June 2018.

She was seeing an OBGYN through her pregnancy until her OHIP expired, then we asked her doctor how much it would cost to pay out of pocket. The prices we got were:

OBGYN services for the pregnancy, including delivery at the hospital (except for the hospital stay) - $4000
Blood Tests/Ultrasounds - No idea, we were already past most of those, probably at least $2000

These were doable prices, but the OBGYN let us know that they could refer us to a midwife, who would cover us regardless of OHIP coverage. So we went for that. My understanding is that you usually have to secure a midwife very early in pregnancy, but since we were being referred by our OBGYN and my wife was uninsured, we got a midwife no problem. She began visiting the midwife just last week.

My understanding (this may not be totally right) is that midwives in Ontario don't bill the government for each patient, but rather receive a lump amount to cover anyone that needs it. Thus, they can cover the costs for uninsured pregnancies. They cover tests, visits, delivery, any unexpected things at the hospital. The only thing we have to pay is:
Hospital stay - $500/day

OHIP INFO
Looking at these forums, I had seen people who had appealed their OHIP denial with their AOR and were successful. So we tried that route.

My wife went for her renewal appointment on May 2nd, with her AOR email printout, employment letter (stating full time employment, and intending to continue employ her for another year), insurance policy showing address, all that jazz. She was told they could not renew, but she couldn't get the denial letter until her OHIP actually expired on May 11th. So she made another appointment, went back on the 11th, got her denial letter (really its a 'transaction record' with some checkboxes on it). With that letter, we could appeal to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee.

I looked at the example appeal letters elsewhere on this forum, and at the Ontario Health Insurance Act Section 1.4, and did not like at all what I saw, didn't think it would work. I felt like my wife would fit into the work permit class for OHIP (paragraph 6) rather than the Permanent Residence application class (paragraph 5) that the forum had said would owrk. But I still drafted this letter:

My Email Address:

I have applied for the spousal sponsored immigration for Permanent Residency in Canada. The sponsorship application has been received by CIC (see attached email), the immigration application was received on [DATE], and the immigration application is still in process. I have also applied for an Open Work Permit with the Permanent Residency Application, which is a bridge between now and when my Permanent Residency application is approved. That application was received on [DATE] (see attached printout and receipt).

I was previously insured with OHIP from [DATE] to [DATE], while I was working in Ontario on a closed work permit (attached). This work permit has expired, but I am still employed full time while on implied status while I await my Open Work Permit, and Permanent Residency. I have also attached an apartment insurance policy to show my residency in Ontario.

I went to the OHIP office at Sheppard Avenue in North York on [DATE] for my OHIP Renewal, and the result was NO (see denial letter), which I disagree with. So I request a review.

The law: Regulation 552: Health Insurance Act 5. Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied.

The CIC application is in “different stages of Application, i.e. (1) Eligibility, (2) Medical”, so, as long as the application is received by CIC (see attached email), then the immigration applicant is ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR the immigration application. (Please note: “eligible for immigration” is NOT the requirement.)

This is quite important for me, because I am 8 months pregnant and my expected delivery date is near the end of June. I had expected that given that I am married to a Canadian citizen, and that CIC has acknowledged that I have applied for permanent residency, would mean that I am eligible to apply for permanent residency. And, since I am working and paying taxes, that would make me eligible for OHIP.

XXXXXX
----------------------

I sent this as a fax to (613) 548-6557, sent it on May 18th, and included in the fax:
-Printout of AOR email
-Denial letter from OHIP
-Expired work permit
-(I would have included the letter from my employer, but the OHIP renewal person took it from her)

(Please note that I know the letter wasn't very well written, fairly clunky and unclear, but I tried to stick to what had worked for other people in the forum)

On May 30th we received an email from an associate at the appeals board. She asked us to fill out and send back a consent form for CIC to release personal information to a designated individual (so that they could check on our Work Permit/Permanent Residency application).

Then on June 11th, we received a letter from the Appeals board saying that they approved our OHIP appeal (yay!) and granted my wife 6 months of OHIP coverage. But, like I thought, it wasn't for paragraph 6 (permanent residency application), it was because of implied status qualifying her for paragraph 5 (temporary foreign worker).

"Temporary foreign workers have an OHIP-eligible status provided that they meet the requirements under paragraph 6 of section 1.4 of Regulation 552. Specifically a temporary foreign worker must hold a valid work permit or other document issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) that permits the person to work in Canada..."

"A review of documentation confirms that you met the requirements for OHIP coverage as a temporary foreign worker as of [DATE] and held a work permit that expired on [DATE]"

"...the ministry contacted the IRCC who confirmed that as they received an extension application for your work permit before the work permit expiry date, you currently have implied status on your work permit."

My advice:
- If you are on implied status, you will be denied at the renewal office (they will have no idea what you're talking about, and will tell you your appeal won't work)
- Unless you have reached eligible to apply status, (this is different than AOR), don't bother appealing under paragraph 5.
- Rewrite the appeal letter above to include paragraph 6 from section 1.4 of the Health Insurance Act. And specifically mention that you are on Implied Status.

It worked for us, it could work for you too. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks so much, it worked for me, got OHIP extended for 6 months today

Reactions: Cherry Kola

AnnaCan

Aug 16, 2019

Hospital stay - $500/day

OHIP INFO

My Email Address:

XXXXXX
----------------------

-Printout of AOR email
-Denial letter from OHIP
-Expired work permit

My advice:

Thank you for writing such a thorough and clear experience sharing. I'm on a similar boat (implied status, PR approved but had not done landing, not giving birth to a baby, though - congratulations to you on having a new family member) and will go ahead to contact our provincial health care coverage for an extension.

Reactions: Cherry Kola

AnnaCan

Aug 16, 2019
Lots of inaccuracies and you seem to have gotten very lucky. When IEC expires your wife had no right to work in Canada until she received her OWP with her inland sponsorship. She also wasn't allowed to start the 3 month waiting period for OHIP until she hits the AIP stage of her spousal sponsorship. Midwife practices are paid baed on a set patient load that bill OHIP, UHIP or the Refugee health. program. Most doctors have no idea who qualifies for OHIP and sent you to a midwife because it is known they sometimes take some uninsured cases usually in the case of financial need. The cost of your birth was likely absorbed by the midwifery practice by taking on another insured patient to make up for your uninsured birth. If OHIP has set a guaranteed income based on their previous regular billing the midwife must of thought your OB felt you were in need if she was contacted directly. Although midwives work is based on their catchment area they are paid to service insured patients. Most practice limit how many uninsured patients because they are paid by OHIP and UHIP and either bill per client or their salaries are based on proof of their insured patient load. I am pretty shocked that if they only take a few uninsured patients per year in their midwife centre there is no means testing because there is a huge demand for those "free births". Also your wife got a spot with a midwife while an OHIP PR r Canadian got refused which seems wrong given the huge demand for midwifery services. If you feel like you got lucky you should consider paying the midwife centres. They don't make a lot of money based on the hours they put in and are always needing to purchase new supplies. Many are run as non-profits.
I like how thoroughly you have thought through this case. Perhaps I could add one piece of opinion: Temporary workers pay taxes when they had a valid work permit, and continue to pay taxes when they are on implied status. The amount of tax that I pay is quite high in my opinion, and I seldom need to use any of the benefits and services provided by the government, because I'm healthy and have no kid and no dependent to support. When we do talk about dollar to dollar situation, I feel I should be eligible to health care coverage when on implied status - this opinion most likely will not change, until a day when CRA will refund all the taxes that I paid during the implied status period. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I like how thoroughly you have thought through this case. Perhaps I could add one piece of opinion: Temporary workers pay taxes when they had a valid work permit, and continue to pay taxes when they are on implied status. The amount of tax that I pay is quite high in my opinion, and I seldom need to use any of the benefits and services provided by the government, because I'm healthy and have no kid and no dependent to support. When we do talk about dollar to dollar situation, I feel I should be eligible to health care coverage when on implied status - this opinion most likely will not change, until a day when CRA will refund all the taxes that I paid during the implied status period. :)
The issue is that others aren’t in your same position on implied status and also may not be approved for the permit they are waiting for. Many apply knowing or not realizing they don’t actually qualify and are buying time. You may be working and paying taxes but not everyone else is.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You don't use roads, bridges,parks or any other public space? You don't create any garbage/waste, which is processed with tax dollars? You don't eat any food, which is inspected, monitored and regulated through tax dollars? If you had an emergency, you wouldn't call 911 for fire/police/ambulance? You realize what would happen without border/immigration controls protecting Canada?

Make no mistake, you use and benefit from government services every single day.

Cherry Kola

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Med's Request
15-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Similar situation. I totally agree with you. My partner who is on implied status at the moment, pay a large amount of taxes and lost access to the free health coverage. It is obviously not right and anybody with a bit of common sense would understand that. Thank you for describing your experience and how you have remediated to it.

Reactions: Xiena and AnnaCan