+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Health Coverage for New PR's during COVID-19, Does 3-month waiting period still exists during this COVID-19.

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Hi there! Anyone aware is 3-month waiting period still exists for new PR's in Ontario to get the health coverage during this COVID-19?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there! Anyone aware is 3-month waiting period still exists for new PR's in Ontario to get the health coverage during this COVID-19?
Yes it is still waived. Are you moving to Ontario permanently? You still need to meet the OHIP residency requirements. If you won't be meeting the requirements you shouldn't apply for a health card.

Reactions: S Kennedy

S Kennedy

Oct 1, 2016
Banff, Alberta.
Visa Office......
CIO Ottawa
Thanks @canuck78.
Do you mean, meeting "OHIP residency requirements" that i have to stay 3 months straight in Ontario before applying health card!
Or
Can i apply health card on my day 1 of landing as part of the waiver (I'm assuming this is part of the waiver right?)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @canuck78.
Do you mean, meeting "OHIP residency requirements" that i have to stay 3 months straight in Ontario before applying health card!
Or
Can i apply health card on my day 1 of landing as part of the waiver (I'm assuming this is part of the waiver right?)
Currently people qualify for OHIP on theor 1st day of landing. they still need to meet the OHIP residency requirements or they could be asked to pay back any treatment they use. I would read through the OHIP website.

Reactions: S Kennedy

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
S Kennedy, how was your flight? I hope that you arrived well.
Please share with us your experience and journey/ I am planning to go to Canada in a month or so. esp for the travel journey; and also for applying for the health card. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
S Kennedy, how was your flight? I hope that you arrived well.
Please share with us your experience and journey/ I am planning to go to Canada in a month or so. esp for the travel journey; and also for applying for the health card. Thanks
You should only be applying for a health card only if you are settling permanently in that province for 6-12 months depending on the province. You should read about the residency requirements for each province just to receive healthcare. If you apply and don’t meet the residency requirements you can be asked to pay back any healthcare you use.

Reactions: Omar34