+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for spouse

Sarah Bisker

Apr 15, 2020
Toronto
Category........
Other
Hello everyone,

I've been living with my husband in Toronto, Canada for a year now.
He is a PR and I have an Open Work Permit (exp in 2021).
I applied for spousal sponsorship 2 months ago (still no news from CIC).
I tried to apply for OHIP with my WP but my Canadian employer (Starbucks) refuses to sign the employment letter because it's company policy... result : application rejected.

I would like to ask you guys if I can apply for the OHIP as a Permanent Resident's spouse??
PS: I know that it's possible for WP couples but I don't know about PR !

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I've been living with my husband in Toronto, Canada for a year now.
He is a PR and I have an Open Work Permit (exp in 2021).
I applied for spousal sponsorship 2 months ago (still no news from CIC).
I tried to apply for OHIP with my WP but my Canadian employer (Starbucks) refuses to sign the employment letter because it's company policy... result : application rejected.

I would like to ask you guys if I can apply for the OHIP as a Permanent Resident's spouse??
PS: I know that it's possible for WP couples but I don't know about PR !

Thanks.
No, being the spouse of a PR doesn't qualify you for OHIP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume Starbucks also could not promise that you will be a full-time employee for the next 6 months which is one of the reasons they didn't provide the letter. Are you on PGWP? If not, how do you have OWP?

Sarah Bisker

Apr 15, 2020
Toronto
Category........
Other
Assume Starbucks also could not promise that you will be a full-time employee for the next 6 months which is one of the reasons they didn't provide the letter. Are you on PGWP? If not, how do you have OWP?
Well, it is not a PGWP. but under SCLPC class !
In fact, after landing here with my visitor visa I directly applied for an OPW and they sent it to me 4 months later (They do this as a family reunification thing).

And for Starbucks, I already worked more than 6 months and they actually gave me an employment letter with the infos I needed.. but my managers categorically refuse to sign it, and the Service Ontario agent could not help neither since they follow strict orders...

Sarah Bisker

Apr 15, 2020
Toronto
Category........
Other

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, they are most certainly tied together. If you did not apply along with an inland spousal sponsorship app, it would appear you were issued an OWP in error.

Directly from the link you've posted yourself: Under this pilot program, applicants may apply for an open work permit with, or any time after, the submission of their application for permanent residence in the SCLPC class.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your fast reply.
Do you think there's another way for me to apply? I am starting to get really scared especially with this COVID 19 situation!
You would have to get the required employment proofs to qualify. Other than that, you will qualify once you land as a PR.

COVID-19 testing and treatment is covered regardless of whether a person has OHIP or not.

Reactions: Sarah Bisker

Sarah Bisker

Apr 15, 2020
Toronto
Category........
Other
You would have to get the required employment proofs to qualify. Other than that, you will qualify once you land as a PR.

COVID-19 testing and treatment is covered regardless of whether a person has OHIP or not.
Well, It seems like I will be waiting for a while to see a doctor !
Especially that I don't have any updates regarding the sponsorship application... I can't even link it to my online account even after trying all the possible combinations and using tips from this forum.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, It seems like I will be waiting for a while to see a doctor !
Especially that I don't have any updates regarding the sponsorship application... I can't even link it to my online account even after trying all the possible combinations and using tips from this forum.
Normally takes 6-8 weeks to get AOR and there have been delays because of covid. You should have purchased emergency health insurance when you arrived.

standbyme

Apr 10, 2015
Sarah Bisker, what IMM forms did you have to fill for the OWP?

I am currently on PR status in Canada and applying for my wife's PR application who is living with me in Canada on a visitor visa. I am applying under Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada (SPLPC) Class and need to include the application for Open Work Permit as well. However, I could not find the right IMM form for the OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sarah Bisker, what IMM forms did you have to fill for the OWP?

I am currently on PR status in Canada and applying for my wife's PR application who is living with me in Canada on a visitor visa. I am applying under Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada (SPLPC) Class and need to include the application for Open Work Permit as well. However, I could not find the right IMM form for the OWP.
Right in the guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#work