+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP expiry date

nickmurph89

Feb 25, 2018
Hello all,

I have just become a permanent resident and my first OHIP card has just arrived in the post.
My card is only valid for 9 months - is this normal? I thought they were supposed to be valid for 5 years.

Any help/advice would be great.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The renewal date is based on your birthdate. Did you previously have OHIP? They want you picture to be updated every 5 or 10 years.

nickmurph89

Feb 25, 2018
The renewal date is based on your birthdate. Did you previously have OHIP? They want you picture to be updated every 5 or 10 years.
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me.

No, this is my first OHIP card. I recently became a permanent resident and applied for OHIP when I received AIP in September.

I just didn’t understand why my first card is only valid for 9 months as the photo was only taken 3 months ago.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me.

No, this is my first OHIP card. I recently became a permanent resident and applied for OHIP when I received AIP in September.

I just didn’t understand why my first card is only valid for 9 months as the photo was only taken 3 months ago.
Would check with OHIP. This sounds like a clerical error.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
It is not an error.

It is based on the applicants immigration status, where some documents are not clarified yet, or based on drivers licence expiry date if that applies, or based on travel history regarding residency requirements.

Nothing is wrong, you just have to be there 9 months after and proof that you're still here, and next time would be again either 2 years or 5 years. Each of us will have 5 years expiration date every time we renew our OHIP.