+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligilbility

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
It's not confusing. The waiting period is waived so you can apply immediately. Of course you still need proof of address so it may take a few days in practice. But your question has now been answered several times.
Please do not feel obligated to answer if you don't understand the question. You are responding without reading the thread. Craigb2424 and I are trying to understand whether the waiting period refers to the 3 month period after we apply for Ohip. However , per the official website , in order to even apply for Ohip you have to have lived in Ontario for 153 days I. E. 5 months before application which he has done, which seems different from the 'waiting period' post application.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Please do not feel obligated to answer if you don't understand the question. You are responding without reading the thread. Craigb2424 and I are trying to understand whether the waiting period refers to the 3 month period after we apply for Ohip. However , per the official website , in order to even apply for Ohip you have to have lived in Ontario for 153 days I. E. 5 months before application which he has done, which seems different from the 'waiting period' post application.
The 3 month waiting period is not after you apply, it's before, and it's currently waived. That's what it says on the official website. The 153 day stipulation would apply only if you left Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just want to clarify. The 3 month waiting period that is currently waived is just to apply for OHIP. In order to qualify to apply for OHIP you must meet the OHIP Residency requirements like being present in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months, the next 6 out of 12 months and becoming a resident in Ontario. If you don’t plan on meeting the residency requirements you shouldn’t apply or else you can be charged for any services you used. Even though you may have a valid OHIP card you must meet the OHIP residency requirements or could be asked to pay for services you obtained. For example those doing short landings should not apply for OHIP.

Reactions: ca_hopeful

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Agree with primaprime. Once you have acceptable proof of ontario residency you can apply without any wait period. I applied about 6 weeks after landing. As a newcomer you don't have to be in Ontario for past 153 days but must plan to reside here permanently. Also, this entire process and waivers are very clearly mentioned on the OHIP Web page. Just be careful with the proof of address they are very selective on documents they accept.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with primaprime. Once you have acceptable proof of ontario residency you can apply without any wait period. I applied about 6 weeks after landing. As a newcomer you don't have to be in Ontario for past 153 days. Also, this entire process and waivers are very clearly mentioned on the OHIP Web page. Just be careful with the proof of address they are very selective on documents they accept.
As a newcomer you must remain in Ontario for 153 of 6 months and 6 out of 12 months .

Reactions: yyzstudent

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you all for the clarification. Appreciate it.
Would read the residency requirements because they change a bit after the first year. The 3 month waiting period will return eventually. It is there so people do not return to Canada just to access healthcare. Even citizens who have been living abroad need to reapply and wait the 3 months (during normal times).

Reactions: ca_hopeful

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Actually you are the one who don't understand. You can apply for ohip as soon as you land and have a fixed address in Ontario.
Currently they are waving the mandatory 3 months of waiting, due to Covid-19. See link:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Documents you need to apply for OHIP
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card