+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Eligibility Requirement

aby001

Nov 26, 2017
Hi Experts,
Need your help here. I did my soft landing in October 2018 and went back after 12 days. I have now permanently landed in Toronto in May 2019. Upon checking the eligibility requirement for applying for OHIP, i found out that i have to be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.
But the issue is that since i did my soft landing in October 2018 and came back after more than 6 months, i would not able to fulfill the above requirement.
What should i do ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You have to wait three months and then apply for OHIP. Once you have the card, then you have to stay for 153/180 days.

You are now establishing residency in Ontario. It's not the same thing as landing and getting your CoPR stamped - it's when you actually move here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Experts,
Need your help here. I did my soft landing in October 2018 and went back after 12 days. I have now permanently landed in Toronto in May 2019. Upon checking the eligibility requirement for applying for OHIP, i found out that i have to be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.
But the issue is that since i did my soft landing in October 2018 and came back after more than 6 months, i would not able to fulfill the above requirement.
What should i do ?
As said above, you established residency when you actually moved in May. That is when the 3 month waiting period started.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you happen to have applied for ohip during your soft landing incorrectly and then not advised them of your long absence you can either call or wait for 3 months from your May landing date to use the card. using the card before that would be healthcare fraud. There are actually different residency requirements for healthcare so even if you have a valid card you may not have coverage and could be asked to pay back any healthcare services used. I would encourage you to spend some time reading the ohip website.