+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Eligibility : Living outside of Canada right now. I am pregnant and planning to goto canada in my 7th month of pregnancy.

Saharsheikh

Jun 28, 2020
Hello, we became permanent resident of Canada in 2018 August and applied for health card but then we came to uae. Now I am pregnant so planning to go there on 7th month of pregnancy in mid of October and my due date is mid of January. So i will have to get family Doctor's appointment there right after landing and then only i can take Ob / gynae's appointment and i heard it takes a lot of time. So visits to doctor will be covered by OHIP? what if i won't be able to complete 183 days, will my delivery be covered?

2nd option: Should i get private insurance ?

3rd option: if i can't use Ohip benefits, is it better to deliver outside of Canada and then i can add

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlanticCat

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You will most likely not be covered if you haven't been in Canada since 2018.

As you are currently pregnant, private insurance will typically not cover pregnancy expenses as pregnancy and giving birth are both foreseeable and expected.

Saharsheikh

Jun 28, 2020
You will most likely not be covered if you haven't been in Canada since 2018.

As you are currently pregnant, private insurance will typically not cover pregnancy expenses as pregnancy and giving birth are both foreseeable and expected.
Thankyou for the reply. Should i call service Ontario to discuss my case. I read somewhere Ohip is giving health card right away. Is this right?

In my second option, if i deliver outside of Canada then what's the procedure of adding baby and how much time it can take?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thankyou for the reply. Should i call service Ontario to discuss my case. I read somewhere Ohip is giving health card right away. Is this right?

In my second option, if i deliver outside of Canada then what's the procedure of adding baby and how much time it can take?
This is temporary and the 3 months wait period could be back anytime.
You can't add your child since you're a PR already. You will have to come to Canada and sponsor your child from here.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The real question here is: do you have an OHIP card? Did you ever receive one?

If you did, you likely have coverage. They last 5 years between renewals.

If you never received nor applied for OHIP, it introduces more complexities.
Even if they got it, OHIP may ask or may find out that they were not in Canada for the residency period. You are obligated to inform OHIP, but sometimes they can check...

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello, we became permanent resident of Canada in 2018 August and applied for health card but then we came to uae. Now I am pregnant so planning to go there on 7th month of pregnancy in mid of October and my due date is mid of January. So i will have to get family Doctor's appointment there right after landing and then only i can take Ob / gynae's appointment and i heard it takes a lot of time. So visits to doctor will be covered by OHIP? what if i won't be able to complete 183 days, will my delivery be covered?

3rd option: if i can't use Ohip benefits, is it better to deliver outside of Canada and then i can add
you don't live in Canada
good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The real question here is: do you have an OHIP card? Did you ever receive one?

If you did, you likely have coverage. They last 5 years between renewals.

If you never received nor applied for OHIP, it introduces more complexities.
This is incorrect. Just because you have a valid health card does not mean you have health coverage. There are residency requirements for just health coverage that are unrelated to other residency obligations. You can be asked to pay back any healthcare you received when you were not entitled to it.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

if you aren’t going to complete the 183 days there is no point coming to Ontario to have your child. You will not meet the requirements for coverage and women arrived just to give birth are looked at more carefully than others. You can also be asked to pay back all the health coverage you received. You were also supposed to advise OHIP of your long absence and it actually seems like you never were entitled to OHIP coverage in the first place. Given that you are seeking care at 7 months it will be clear that you have not been in Canada.

• Love
Reactions: mpsqra

Saharsheikh

Jun 28, 2020
Thankyou guys for all the replies. Last day i called OHIP, they are giving health card right away and this 3 months waiting period is exempted. So there is a chance that i will get the health card before completing the 183 days but i will definitely call them before landing to check it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thankyou guys for all the replies. Last day i called OHIP, they are giving health card right away and this 3 months waiting period is exempted. So there is a chance that i will get the health card before completing the 183 days but i will definitely call them before landing to check it.
You still need to complete the residency requirement if you do attempt to come to Canada. If you don’t meet the residency requirements you can be asked to pay back any of the medical care you received. In general the 6-12 month requirement, depending on the province, is there so taxpayers are the ones receiving healthcare not those coming into Canada just to use healthcare.

Reactions: Buletruck

Saharsheikh

Jun 28, 2020
You still need to complete the residency requirement if you do attempt to come to Canada. If you don’t meet the residency requirements you can be asked to pay back any of the medical care you received. In general the 6-12 month requirement, depending on the province, is there so taxpayers are the ones receiving healthcare not those coming into Canada just to use healthcare.
Okay thankyou for the reply

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Okay thankyou for the reply
Even if you get your coverage right away (depending if they wont return the 3 months wait time by October), you still need to
  • be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province

Saharsheikh

Jun 28, 2020
I plan to stay there. We will be moving to Canada permanently. So in that case, i will be covered.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes i got my ohip health card delivered in 2018 but never used being outside canada
If you didn’t remain in Canada you weren’t entitled to get an OHIP card and you ware supposed to notify OHIP when you were living abroad to prevent fraudulent use of Canada’s health system. There is a good chance your card may be frozen because you see never entitled to a card. You seem to have now changed your plans. Your original question suggested you were not planning on remaining in Canada permanently after the birth.