+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Coverage

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
I want to ask if anybody has experienced the following type of situation and how did you resolve it.
- I returned to Canada in Feb 17
- Went to apply for OHIP with my Bank Statement for March 17 which had my address.
- The Rep at Service Ontario asked me for several other documents which I do not have.
- Finally told me to come with the March/April Statements + a Cell Phone Bill in my name
- I did not submit my application.
- In April I faced some personal emergency and had to return to my country.
- I came back in March 18
- When I came back I got a letter dated May 17 in which OHIP has written that since I did not submit the requested documents, my eligibility for OHIP is cancelled.

Has anybody faced a situation like this and how did you resolve it. Now I have to approach Service Ontario after waiting for 3 months. So please help me. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thiis is all correct. When you arrived in February 2017 you had to wait 3 months to get your OHIP. Since you left the country and did not prove that you were in the country in March and April 2017 you no longer qualified to OHIP. Now that you are back in Ontario you must go to Service Ontario and show when you returned and your proof of address. 3 months from your arrival date in March 2018 your OHIP should be valid again.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Thiis is all correct. When you arrived in February 2017 you had to wait 3 months to get your OHIP. Since you left the country and did not prove that you were in the country in March and April 2017 you no longer qualified to OHIP. Now that you are back in Ontario you must go to Service Ontario and show when you returned and your proof of address. 3 months from your arrival date in March 2018 your OHIP should be valid again.
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I hope it works out well. I was under the impression that I am permanently disqualified and will have to do a lot of paper work to reinstate my eligibility. I could not understand since I did not apply how did they get my new address. May be they did take it in the process of verifying my record.