+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Coverage - Pregnancy

AM_120991

Jul 13, 2017
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen however my girlfriend just recently got approved for permanent residency.
She used to have OHIP when she was a "foreign worker" it has since expired (NOV 2016)

She has been in the country under a student visa since her worker visa expired in November.
Since she has been in the country the entire time and not once left the country will she need to wait the 3 months since essentially she is just renewing her old health card and has not left the country in 2 years?

baby is due in September and worried we would be on the hook for payment.

Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen however my girlfriend just recently got approved for permanent residency.
She used to have OHIP when she was a "foreign worker" it has since expired (NOV 2016)

She has been in the country under a student visa since her worker visa expired in November.
Since she has been in the country the entire time and not once left the country will she need to wait the 3 months since essentially she is just renewing her old health card and has not left the country in 2 years?

Thanks.
Did you apply for her PR using the INLAND or OUTLAND method?

If INLAND, then as of the AIP (Approval In Principle) stage of the inland app, she would have qualified to start the 3-month waiting period. If you brought proof of when you reached AIP stage during processing, OHIP should back-date the waiting period to then.

If OUTLAND, then if you go to any OHIP office they will insist that the 3-month waiting period start only after officially landing as a PR. Time spent in Ontario before being a PR (and not OHIP eligible) is irrelevant to them.

However, there is actually a stage in the outland app that she would have qualified. So if you send an appeal request to the OERC (OHIP Eligibility Review Committee) they may be able to back-date the 3-month waiting period to an earlier time. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/review.aspx

In the meantime while all this is sorted out, I would budget around $10K for potential delivery related costs. If it takes a while to go through process with OERC and they eventually decide in her favor, but it's already after the delivery date, I think they will reimburse any charges you paid when she should have been covered (but not sure on the details).

alisonv

Feb 15, 2017
Hello,

Thanks.
Look into midwives. I have been told they fall into a different coverage

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Look into midwives. I have been told they fall into a different coverage
Midwives are unfortunately in extremely short supply. Technically they are a very good alternative option. Realistically, it seems to be very difficult to secure one.