+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP card & EI issue

ChloeLitchi

Mar 26, 2019
Hi all,

I am holding Work Permit now, and it will expire in 2021. I just lost my job recently and submitted my EI application to ServiceCanada, but really worried my OHIP card might go invalid because of unemployment. not sure if ServiceCanada EI system may report it to ServiceOntario OHIP department or not :(

The end date of my OHIP card should be same as my Work Permit expiry date. Will my health card break off if I don't get work before 2021 ?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your OHIP will expire at the same time as your work permit. If your work permit expires in 2021 you must have only started working pretty recently. You had to show that you had employment for 6 months to qualify in the first place. Would be more focused on finding new employment if you are on an open work permit. Is there a reason you are worried about ohip? Most would be more concerned about unemployment.

Last edited:

ChloeLitchi

Mar 26, 2019
Your OHIP will expire at the same time as your work permit. If your work permit expires in 2021 you must have only started working pretty recently. You had to show that you had employment for 6 months to qualify in the first place. Would be more focused on finding new employment if you are on an open work permit. Is there a reason you are worried about ohip? Most would be more concerned about unemployment.
OK, I see. I worried about my OHIP coz I might have a surgery recently. Anyway, thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long did you work and have OHIP? To qualify you had to prove that you would be employed for over 6 months.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi, I am searching for the same info. How did your surgery go (OP) and was your OHIP able to cover it or you had to get private insurance ?
Can the OP, or anyone with knowledge, please kindly elaborate ?
OHIP for me & family, was issued based on job contract (which was intially for the duration of my OWP till 2024). I was recently downsized at company. While i am searching/looking for new work, will also be applying for EI. I'm just worried on applying for EI, will we loose OHIP coverage (or have we already lost it since i was let go)? I'm worried as we're expecting a child in the next few weeks.
I googled this info, but couldn't find anything satisfactory in this regard.
Please kindly advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am searching for the same info. How did your surgery go (OP) and was your OHIP able to cover it or you had to get private insurance ?
Can the OP, or anyone with knowledge, please kindly elaborate ?
OHIP for me & family, was issued based on job contract (which was intially for the duration of my OWP till 2024). I was recently downsized at company. While i am searching/looking for new work, will also be applying for EI. I'm just worried on applying for EI, will we loose OHIP coverage (or have we already lost it since i was let go)? I'm worried as we're expecting a child in the next few weeks.
I googled this info, but couldn't find anything satisfactory in this regard.
Please kindly advise.
Fid you work for over 6 months after you got OHIP? Do you meet the residency requirements fir OHIP (live in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months, live in Ontario the first 6 months of a year and make your permanent home in Ontario). You won’t be able to get insurance to cover pregnancy and labour and delivery at this point. Babies need to be born so it is guaranteed you will need a certain amount of healthcare so it doesn’t make sense for insurance companies to cover you unless they charged the full cost of labour and delivery with c-section and epidural at a minimum.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Fid you work for over 6 months after you got OHIP? Do you meet the residency requirements fir OHIP (live in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months, live in Ontario the first 6 months of a year and make your permanent home in Ontario). You won’t be able to get insurance to cover pregnancy and labour and delivery at this point. Babies need to be born so it is guaranteed you will need a certain amount of healthcare so it doesn’t make sense for insurance companies to cover you unless they charged the full cost of labour and delivery with c-section and epidural at a minimum.
Yes, I've been in Ontario for a few years now. I came as an international student, graduated and got a full time job, in 2021. I switched jobs in August last year. So I have been working full time for 1.75 years (since start of 2021). My contract was terminated without cause (i was on contract, but still a full time employee). My intial contract, at the recent firm, was for 2 years, but i was let go after a year due to slowdown in the company i was working for.
So yes, to answer your question, i worked for more than a year plus some months, after i got OHIP.
I have been looking for a job in my field since the past 2-3 weeks. While i have had some interviews, but no offers yet.
Actually i have googled this question and searched Health Ontario website, but could not find anything official on this issue (that is mentioned on Ontario website or on a rules pages of the government).
Sometimes people take EI for parental leave, but they don't lose their OHIP coverage, right (even if on OWP) ?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I've been in Ontario for a few years now. I came as an international student, graduated and got a full time job, in 2021. I switched jobs in August last year. So I have been working full time for 1.75 years (since start of 2021). My contract was terminated without cause (i was on contract, but still a full time employee). My intial contract, at the recent firm, was for 2 years, but i was let go after a year due to slowdown in the company i was working for.
So yes, to answer your question, i worked for more than a year plus some months, after i got OHIP.
I have been looking for a job in my field since the past 2-3 weeks. While i have had some interviews, but no offers yet.
Actually i have googled this question and searched Health Ontario website, but could not find anything official on this issue (that is mentioned on Ontario website or on a rules pages of the government).
Sometimes people take EI for parental leave, but they don't lose their OHIP coverage, right (even if on OWP) ?
As a student you didn’t qualify for OHIP so when you got PGWP you had to show proof that you had a full-time job that would last over 6 months to qualify. Depending on if your first job after you graduated was over 6 months in length you qualified for OHIP at that point. When did your spouse receive OHIP? EI parental leave is different than regular EI. Whether you qualify depends on different requirements. If you received any severance pay that would also factor into when you receive EI due to layoff. You need to decide whether you want to take parental leave or EI due to unemployment. Neither are a lot of money.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
As a student you didn’t qualify for OHIP so when you got PGWP you had to show proof that you had a full-time job that would last over 6 months to qualify. Depending on if your first job after you graduated was over 6 months in length you qualified for OHIP at that point. When did your spouse receive OHIP? EI parental leave is different than regular EI. Whether you qualify depends on different requirements. If you received any severance pay that would also factor into when you receive EI due to layoff. You need to decide whether you want to take parental leave or EI due to unemployment. Neither are a lot of money.
Yes, as a student I was on Private insurance. I only applied for OHIP after i had been working full time for 7 months ( my private insurance had been extended by a year after graduation, so i hadn't worried about it back then). My work was in the IT field. After OHIP i have worked more than a year as full time in the company from where i was laid off.
I know EI is not a lot, that is why i am not relying on it. I have been applying almost everyday for jobs since past 2-3 weeks, and also had 2 interviews but unfortunatley no offers yet. I will take a break for 2 weeks to help my wife once our child is born, then plan to start work again. I have not thought about EI for parental as yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, as a student I was on Private insurance. I only applied for OHIP after i had been working full time for 7 months ( my private insurance had been extended by a year after graduation, so i hadn't worried about it back then). My work was in the IT field. After OHIP i have worked more than a year as full time in the company from where i was laid off.
I know EI is not a lot, that is why i am not relying on it. I have been applying almost everyday for jobs since past 2-3 weeks, and also had 2 interviews but unfortunatley no offers yet. I will take a break for 2 weeks to help my wife once our child is born, then plan to start work again. I have not thought about EI for parental as yet.
You qualify for OHIP until your WP ends. No issue.

Reactions: fooqs