+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Card Delivery Time

ctr

Jan 27, 2018
We landed as PRs about two months ago. I'm aware to be eligible for OHIP there is a 3 month waiting period. I wanted to know when is the earliest we can apply? Do we have to wait till the 3 month waiting period is over before we can apply? Is it possible to apply a couple of weeks before the 3 month waiting period is up so we will card in time after the 3 month waiting period is up?

Also, once we do apply how long does it take for the actual card to be mailed out?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We landed as PRs about two months ago. I'm aware to be eligible for OHIP there is a 3 month waiting period. I wanted to know when is the earliest we can apply? Do we have to wait till the 3 month waiting period is over before we can apply? Is it possible to apply a couple of weeks before the 3 month waiting period is up so we will card in time after the 3 month waiting period is up?

Also, once we do apply how long does it take for the actual card to be mailed out?
You could have applied when you got here 2 months ago. There is no need to wait for the 3 months to be done before applying.

Probably a few weeks. Once your coverage is active, you don't need the card to seek medical care.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You could have applied when you got here 2 months ago. There is no need to wait for the 3 months to be done before applying.

Probably a few weeks. Once your coverage is active, you don't need the card to seek medical care.
Just want to clarify that you certainly need to carry your OHIP card at all time. If you don’t have your card you can be denied medical care (obviously not during an emergency).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just want to clarify that you certainly need to carry your OHIP card at all time. If you don’t have your card you can be denied medical care (obviously not during an emergency).
Never heard that, just that the health number is required. Otherwise, people with valid coverage who have lost cards or are waiting for new cards would be denied medical care.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I had a seizure , got carted off to the hospital. In the rush of things I did not have my OHIP card , I was treated, HOWEVER, the card was needed . I was going to have to pay . My partner at the time was told it's HIGHLY recommended you go get that card at home and return to the hospital
So in my situation, the card was needed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Never heard that, just that the health number is required. Otherwise, people with valid coverage who have lost cards or are waiting for new cards would be denied medical care.
You can be refused a test, appointment, etc. If you only gave a number it could be someone else’s number. The picture ID part is critical. If you lose your card service Ontario will provide you a temporary paper that acts as a card until you get your new card.