+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP after the 3 months for pre-existing conditions

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have not applied because of the border closure yet. I have insurance in the states, Medicare, and I was planning to go back and forth across the border for treatments until I can get Canadian Health. However, the border closure is complicating things as my wife is Canadian and might not be able to get through on the US side and I as American may not get through on the Canadian side. We just bought a home in BC and sold our home in America. We will be homeless soon so this is getting critical.
If you haven’t even applied for spousal sponsorship it may be 6-12 months before you even qualify to apply for oHIP and start the 3 month wait times. Without being a resident of that state don’t think you would qualify for Medicare.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you haven’t even applied for spousal sponsorship it may be 6-12 months before you even qualify to apply for oHIP and start the 3 month wait times. Without being a resident of that state don’t think you would qualify for Medicare.
Are you applying for OHIP or MSP?

OakBar

Nov 9, 2011
Ontario has waived 3 month waiting period...I suggest you check BC's health coverage rules too as I guess they also have waived few things

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
After how many months you got health care benefits?? I am going to Canada after 6 years. Do I need to take pvt health insurance for 6 months. . When do I apply for healthcare?? After 3 or 6 months

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
After how many months you got health care benefits?? I am going to Canada after 6 years. Do I need to take pvt health insurance for 6 months. . When do I apply for healthcare?? After 3 or 6 months
Which province given there are different requirements to qualify

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes valid Pr
If you have been out of Canada for 6 years you aren’t compliant with your RO because you must be in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years on any day. Currently the 3 month wait period has been waived. There are long backlogs for appointments and procedures due to lockdown because of covid. It is unclear for how long the 3 month wait period will be waived. Would make sure you arrive with enough savings to support yourself for at least 6 months because many employers are not hiring at the moment.

Reactions: mashulia_26