+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP after the 3 months for pre-existing conditions

p3n

Jan 7, 2018
Hi

I am a Canadian citizen but have been abroad (UK) for 30 years - I am returning to Ontario with my family next year and have been diagnosed with two conditions. One which that requires medication (a lot of antihistamines) and the other where my joints have the tenancy to dislocate. I understand that I wont be covered with OHIP for the first 3 months and will get temporary heath cover however,what I cant figure out is if OHIP will cover me after the 3 months for my two conditions... or will OHIP never cover me for conditions that i had before returning to Ontario... Please can someone enlighten me? Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
There is no such thing as pre-existing conditions when it comes to OHIP. After the 3 months waiting period you are covered for every possible medical condition no matter what.

p3n

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you Rob_TO

Can someone advise regarding medication on OHIP ... eg: if ever one required cancer medication do you have to self fund this or does OHIP cover it? thank you :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will be covered by Ohip by any medication received in hospital. Any medication you get from a pharmacy must be paid out of pocket or through extended health benefits. There is a program called the Trillium program that covers the cost of some medication if your medication costs are very high compared to your income. You have to pay a deductible based on your income. Better than nothing if you qualify.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also since your conditions are pre-existing you won't be able to get private health insurance for those condition for 3 months.

azrazan

Feb 18, 2018
Hi..
can any one suggest private health insurance which covers pre existing medical conditions also.
for family(3) ,wife and daughter status in canada is visitor and husband is on PGWP.[ PR Is under process for 3 of us]..
looking for cashless treatment,is there any?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi..
can any one suggest private health insurance which covers pre existing medical conditions also.
for family(3) ,wife and daughter status in canada is visitor and husband is on PGWP.[ PR Is under process for 3 of us]..
looking for cashless treatment,is there any?
There are some policies that will cover pre-existing conditions under certain circumstances. Eg. https://www.manulife.ca/for-you/insurance/explore/travel/visitor-to-canada.html

However, if you are looking for an "all you can eat" coverage for services and medications, I think that you are out of luck.

I ran some sample information through the quotation pages and it comes out at an example 1600 CAD + taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: azrazan

p3n

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry for posting again but does anyone know the answer to the following

- My Mum is in remission for breast cancer (she will be 80 when we move) and requires medication - will cancer medications be covered in full or will she have to subsidise it ?

Also, I have been told that i will need blood tests every 3 months to check for Leukaemia - are routine blood tests covered or will i have to self fund them?

thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is your mother a Canadian citizen? Blood test will be covered. If you are under 65 your medication will not be covered. Over 65 have a deductible and pay a low monthly amount.

dpowellnt

Feb 25, 2019
I am an American moving to Canada with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. I understand that I can't get on OHIP for 3 months? I also have stage 4 cancer. After the three months will I get OHIP or be rejected. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an American moving to Canada with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. I understand that I can't get on OHIP for 3 months? I also have stage 4 cancer. After the three months will I get OHIP or be rejected. Thank you.
You will get OHIP after three months. No such thing as pre-exisitng conditions with OHIP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will take time to get into the health system so you will be without healthcare for numerous months unless you have some sort of private insurance that will cover you. Being without healthcare when you have stage 4 cancer is definitely a risky and stressful situation.

dpowellnt

Feb 25, 2019
Do you have PR?
I have not applied because of the border closure yet. I have insurance in the states, Medicare, and I was planning to go back and forth across the border for treatments until I can get Canadian Health. However, the border closure is complicating things as my wife is Canadian and might not be able to get through on the US side and I as American may not get through on the Canadian side. We just bought a home in BC and sold our home in America. We will be homeless soon so this is getting critical.