+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Offer of Employment and Letter of Employment

Blu3

Oct 11, 2018
Hi, I have a couple of question regards to these two documents. It's great if anyone can help.

1. What is the different between this two documents? Offer of Employment (The job offer letter???) Letter of Employment (Employment contract???); Can I use my employment contract for both?
2. Our company does not have HR department (a subsidiary of a company) hence my job offer letter was issued by the HR department and written on company letterhead of our parent company. This is not aligned with the employment record (was written on company letterhead of the subsidiary). Does it matter?
3. My employment contract was drafted by a lawyer through a law firm. It was not written on company letterhead. Is that alright?

According to the instruction:
Offer of Employment
You must provide a job offer letter from the employer who wants to hire you. It must be printed on company letterhead, and state that you will be employed permanently in Canada by that company. The letter must specify whether the job is:
  • for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week),
  • for work that is permanent and not seasonal,
  • skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
(Note – in most cases, the job offer must be for a permanent job. For some types of jobs, it has to be for at least one year.)
The job offer letter must include contact information for the company (address, telephone number and email address).

Letter of Employment
An employment letter is an official document printed on company letterhead stating that you will be employed in Canada by that company for a specified period of time. The employment letter must include your name, the details of your employment in Canada, and the company's contact information.
It may also include:
  • details such as your tenure with the company
  • your title, position and duties
  • approved vacation periods (if travelling to Canada for holidays), or information about whether the company will cover all your travel expenses (if travelling on business for this company), etc