+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Offer Letter Vs. Employments record/reference letter Vs. Letter of employment

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
Can someone please calrify this. I have gone through previous threads and googled it as well. I dont quite understand why CIC is asking for the pretty much the same thing atleast twice if not three times. The following has been copied/pasted from my CEC profile.

CIC's description of offer letter:
"You must provide a job offer letter from the employer who wants to hire you. It must be printed on company letterhead, and state that you will be employed permanently in Canada by that company. The letter must specify whether the job is:

for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week),
for work that is permanent and not seasonal,
skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
(Note – in most cases, the job offer must be for a permanent job. For some types of jobs, it has to be for at least one year.)

The job offer letter must include contact information for the company (address, telephone number and email address)."

CIC's description for reference letter in the employments record:
You must provide proof of work experience for your current job and for each past position you listed. Proof must include a reference letter from your employer and pay stubs, if you have them. The reference letter must:
be an official document printed on company letterhead
include your name, the company's contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
show all positions held while employed at the company
include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits.
You must scan all documents for this period of employment and save them as one file. (You must create a separate file for each period of employment.)

No description provided for letter of employment.

Questions:

1) My offer letter does NOT state an NOC code. And im worried about this, is this ok? I plan to upload my offer letter as is - This offer letter was signed in 2015 and I dont think its right to ask my company to write a new offer letter and then back date it to 2015. HOWEVER my offer letter clearly states my job title/description which easily ties to a NOC code since it is a specialized field/job.

2) My employer has drafted a reference letter clearly stating the NOC code, full time, weekly hours, hourly wage and annual salary, when i started work etc and all other requirements. Will this letter suffice for the letter of employment as well. So il be uploading the same document/letter in two different spots.

It's really strange that they have asked for three letters that are pretty much the same but have not provided any description for the letter of employment. For those who havent gotten to this stage yet, it asks you to upload documents for each of the following titles (Description provided above):
1. Offer Letter
2. Employment record/reference letter
3. Letter of Employment.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
frustrated121 said:
No description provided for letter of employment.
Letter of employment = letter of reference. Same thing. In common usage in Canada, letter of employment refers to current employment. (Letter of reference can be current or past employment).

Questions:

1) My offer letter does NOT state an NOC code. And im worried about this, is this ok? I plan to upload my offer letter as is - This offer letter was signed in 2015 and I dont think its right to ask my company to write a new offer letter and then back date it to 2015. HOWEVER my offer letter clearly states my job title/description which easily ties to a NOC code since it is a specialized field/job.

This is not what IRCC is asking for. A job offer letter is for FUTURE employment (not past). It is required if you are claiming to have a "valid job offer," (extra 50/200 pts depending on NOC), but not if you do not (and you should say "no" to the question about having a valid job offer).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

2) My employer has drafted a reference letter clearly stating the NOC code, full time, weekly hours, hourly wage and annual salary, when i started work etc and all other requirements. Will this letter suffice for the letter of employment as well. So il be uploading the same document/letter in two different spots.

letter of employment = letter of reference. Job duties and responsibilities are key.

BTW - you're either remunerated on an hourly wage basis, OR an annual salary, but not both. I suppose you could've meant annual earnings rather than salary, but hourly wage and salary are two distinct forms of compensation.

It's really strange that they have asked for three letters that are pretty much the same but have not provided any description for the letter of employment. For those who havent gotten to this stage yet, it asks you to upload documents for each of the following titles (Description provided above):
1. Offer Letter I don't know if you have a valid job offer or not, but you have not described it.

2. Employment record/reference letter

Employment records are documents that support the information in the letter, and can include things like the Record of employment (ROE), T4, NOA, (paystubs if you don't have the other documents), contracts, sometimes an extra reference letter or two may be required if there are deficiencies in any of the previous documentation.

3. Letter of Employment - this is the main letter.

nsood

Jan 5, 2017
just looking for clarification as soon I will be applying for EE under CEC.

as mentioned (you should say "no" to the question about having a valid job offer). - doesn't it mean we don't have a job offer as of now or in other words we don't have a job at all as of now. then how can we be eligible for CEC!

I am guessing I might be wrong but some more light on this topic will be really appreciated.

Lastly I guess almost everybody will be having T4's and pay slips. We can just upload last few of these (pay stubs - last 4-5 & T4 for last year) to upload under Employment record/reference letter category. Is that sufficient!!

rahimpal

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
China
NOC Code......
i cannot get frm the supervisors , my collegeaus can mention the job duties on letter head and sign it.is this accepted ?

company seal on letter head is it mandatory?

Mystico_90

May 11, 2013
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Halifax, NS
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
05-09-2017
i cannot get frm the supervisors , my collegeaus can mention the job duties on letter head and sign it.is this accepted ?

company seal on letter head is it mandatory?
What I know, letter from a manager using letter is perfect. You can also get letter from your co-worker, in that case try to get 2-3 letters from different people and make sure they mention their role and details under their signature. Company letter head is a must.