+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Off campus work permit expiring before Post Graduate Work Permit received

callalily

Jul 21, 2012
I applied for the post graduate work permit on 11th June and it has not yet come through. In the meantime, my off campus work permit expires 31st July. As I am working, my employer wants proof that I can still work legally until the PGWP is received. Can anyone direct me to the relevant
legislation showing this falls under implied status? or that states I can continue working.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Call the CIC call center and explain the situation and ask them to forward the information to your email. That's what I did and it wasn't a problem.

Read page 27: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

See this: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/reports/sin/cop/section3.shtml

Working with expired SIN when work permit expires: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/expiry.shtml

Laisa

Apr 27, 2012
Could you update here when you get your permit? My husband sent his application for open work permit based on my PGWP a week after you.
Timelines for these work permit are not the same as for the work permits that need an LMO.
I received mine within 20 days at the time the processing time stated it would take 37 days.

callalily

Jul 21, 2012
Yes, I'll let you know. At the time I submitted it, it said 26 days..but that is obviously no longer the case...and I have not been able to find timelines for pgwp since.

kazen

Jul 16, 2012
Have you received it? I submitted mine on July 11th and my study permit expires August 31st, am hoping that I don't have to be in an implied status.

callalily

Jul 21, 2012
Still haven't received it but I did email the call center as suggested above explaining my situation and asking them if they could
send me an email I could show my boss..which they did. They emailed confirmation that as long as my study and work permit
were valid at the time I applied for my pgwp
, I am legally authorised to work until I receive the pgwp.

kazen

Jul 16, 2012
good to know, I've just realized that I'm not sure how to interpret the processing times in the cic website, say I've submitted my application on July 11th and on that day the processing time is 44 days, while now it's 50 something, should I still be counting 44 days or 50 something from July 11th?

callalily

Jul 21, 2012
Well this just gets more confusing...my sister applied for her Post Graduate Work Permit on 25th June and received hers today 2nd August..
If mine does not arrive tomorrow, I will call or email them again, in case it's just lost in the mail.

Laisa

Apr 27, 2012
Have you tried calling CIC? That way you'll know if the decision was made and it just got lost in the mail or if there is a delay.
You should have received it before she did.
If you don't have the number, it's 1-888-242-2100 and then you choose 1, 2, 7 and put in your file number and date of birth.

callalily

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks Laisa and everyone...my pgwp arrived today - not sure why a week after my sister when I applied two weeks before her...but
am very glad it has arrived.