+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

off-campus work permit count in CEC after graduation

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
YoungJC said:
Well obviously you can't gain 12 months experience on OCWP because most people have just a few months left on it anyways when they graduate from uni. That statement is only letting applicants know how to get a work permit that they'll be able to use to gain the experience in full.
Applicants can even gain experience without a work permit as long as the work is authorized. There is nothing written anywhere that states work done under OCWP after completion of studies is inadmissible. If it is inadmissible they'll state it, and not send subliminal messages.

Just to make it safe for the OP, I would advise to accumulate your whole 12 months experience on your PGWP just in case. There's no clear answer to this question, but you'll rather be safe than sorry.
Yes it confusing. But as far as I know off- campus work permit is only issued to students and its clearly stated on that, if you are not enrolled in full-time education then you can work 40 hours a week.

@ iam_toby: I am not being offensive to you. its just a discussion :)

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit).

They didn't say "ONLY PGWP" they set it as an example. So, its not limited to PGWP.

Another point is if they don't want to consider work done on OCWP then why would they mention it in OP25a?

"Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

They didn't mention this single time in OP25a, they mentioned it couple of times, and third time they explained it in short. The quote you showing me.

:)

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
hum_men said:
Hi,

When i start my full time job on off-campus permit i called CIC and they told me you can work as full time once you applied for PGWP and i already got a completion letter from my institution. I am confused weather should i apply or not ?

Some one has same experience ?

I asked that to CIC too. First they told me it wont be counted. But later when I mentioned that I graduated before I started working and I had valid OCWP. Then she told me that "Yeah well then it will be considered". she also confirmed it with his supervisor.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
So the question is:

Do you want to gamble with your PR application? "Hey maybe the officer will count my off campus experience"
Or
Do you want to be rock-solid?

Choice is yours.

prashjcha

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-10-2013
Med's Request
15-03-2014
Med's Done....
24-03-2014
Passport Req..
25-04-2014
Dont worry they do consider OCWP experience while you are waiting for your pgwp. I was in the same case because I added my OCWP experience for 1 year work experience and I was worried that whether they would consider it or not. I sent additional document explaining that I am not clear on how they calculate the work experience and attached some supporting documents with my email.

The reason why I am so sure is that in my latest GCMS notes there was a note mentioned by VO stating that OCWP experience is calculated after graduation until you receive your PGWP. Which means my OCWP experience was considered.

Also i have already received my MR and RPRF.

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
As per new updated op25a experience class manual which updated Jan 2014 if you finished your sstudy and have ocwp than its count toward your experience.

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
samir3132 said:
As per new updated op25a experience class manual which updated Jan 2014 if you finished your sstudy and have ocwp than its count toward your experience.
Can you please send a link here ?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
AK84 said:
Hi,

Where is written that OCWP counts after study in CEC?
Have you even read the document?!
Gee, please show some effort.

>>

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work
experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience
requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit).
and

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time
study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g.,
work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a
full-time student, and on-campus work permits).

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Dont take the risk...if u can gain more exp thats better..if u have no option just go for it

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
Hi,

I confirmed with CIC and they told me that experience gained after study on OCWP will not be count, it count from date of issue on PGWP. For example ( Study finished get a confirmation letter----Valid Off campus Work Permit---start full job on OCWP----PGWP is in process)...Its count once you received PGWP.

Anyone get a same reply

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
AK84 said:
Hi,

I confirmed with CIC and they told me that experience gained after study on OCWP will not be count, it count from date of issue on PGWP.

Anyone get a same reply
It's a grey area. But yes, I recommend to start counting the experience from the day you got your PGWP after the graduation.

zahirp

Oct 1, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-October-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
10-Feb-2015
Med's Request
10-March-2016
Med's Done....
11-March-2016
Interview........
RPRP Requested on 06 April, 2016. Paid same day
Passport Req..
14-April-2016
Just for the records.....
While we all were filling out the forms for CEC, there is a question asked to us ...WERE YOU A FULL-TIME STUDENT DURING ANY OF THE ABOVE LISTED PERIODS? {IMM0008_8e}

So here if you were a fulltime student you will be giving out the details and if not i.e. if you were already graduated and then you have gained that experience you will be leaving that section empty.
:) :) :)