+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

off-campus work permit count in CEC after graduation

hum_men

Feb 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I graduated in June,2013 and start full time job in july on my off-campus work permit i got my PGWP in August,2013 . does my off-campus work permit counts under CEC if i apply or i need to show from my issue date of PGWP....?

Reply me,

Humi

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
hum_men said:
Hi,

I graduated in June,2013 and start full time job in july on my off-campus work permit i got my PGWP in August,2013 . does my off-campus work permit counts under CEC if i apply or i need to show from my issue date of PGWP....?

Reply me,

Humi
Only experience gained on PGWP can be counted.
As per document checklist:

If you are a student and graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, you can gain the work experience required for CEC through the Post-Graduate Work Permit.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
hum_men said:
Hi,

Reply me,

Humi

It does counts as you were not a full-time student in July.

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS.

OP25a - Bottom of Page 9.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Goku said:
It does counts as you were not a full-time student in July.

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS.

OP25a - Bottom of Page 9.

Maybe read that again.

And as per recently updated instruction guide:

If you are a student and graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, you can gain the work experience required for CEC through the Post-Graduate Work Permit.

arnaud

Star Member
Mar 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
AOR Received.
08-07-2013
Med's Request
01-02-2014
Med's Done....
06-02-2014 Received 18-02-2014
LANDED..........
05-03-2014

hum_men

Feb 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

It saying during full time study............but what i completed my studies in June and institution gave me letter of completion then i applied for PGWP during process i started my job as full time on off-campus work permit.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........

iam_toby: my friend read it carefully.

He was not a full-time student when he started working.

YoungJC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Passport Req..
03/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
03/26/2014
LANDED..........
03/31/2014
iam_toby said:
Maybe read that again...
I guess it's subject to interpretation, but it does say experience will not be counted while a full time student. It doesn't say experience will not be counted under OCWP or experience will only be counted under PGWP. Hence, if you have experience gained under OCWP, you'll have to prove you'd graduated and were no longer a full time student during the period of your gained experience.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
YoungJC said:
I guess it's subject to interpretation, but it does say experience will not be counted while a full time student. It doesn't say experience will not be counted under OCWP or experience will only be counted under PGWP. Hence, if you have experience gained under OCWP, you'll have to prove you'd graduated and were no longer a full time student during the period of your gained experience.
In that case you can provide your OCWP to show that you were eligible to work, and graduation letter or graduation certificate to show that he graduated before he started working.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Goku said:

iam_toby: my friend read it carefully.

He was not a full-time student when he started working.
Let me post the quote again.

This implies you've already graduated and it says you can gian work exprience through the PGWP, and not off-campus or on-campus.

It's a grey area and always will be until the OB get's updated. But with the updated instruction guide it's pretty clear.

hum_men

Feb 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

When i start my full time job on off-campus permit i called CIC and they told me you can work as full time once you applied for PGWP and i already got a completion letter from my institution. I am confused weather should i apply or not ?

Some one has same experience ?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
hum_men said:
Hi,

When i start my full time job on off-campus permit i called CIC and they told me you can work as full time once you applied for PGWP and i already got a completion letter from my institution. I am confused weather should i apply or not ?

Some one has same experience ?

Things change during the course of time. And so do CEC immigration rules. If you want to play
it save, complete the 12 months on the PGWP, if you want to risk it, apply with experience gained on off- or on-campus
work permits. It's as easy as that.

YoungJC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Passport Req..
03/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
03/26/2014
LANDED..........
03/31/2014
iam_toby said:
Let me post the quote again.

This implies you've already graduated and it says you can gian work exprience through the PGWP, and not off-campus or on-campus.

It's a grey area and always will be until the OB get's updated. But with the updated instruction guide it's pretty clear.
Well obviously you can't gain 12 months experience on OCWP because most people have just a few months left on it anyways when they graduate from uni. That statement is only letting applicants know how to get a work permit that they'll be able to use to gain the experience in full.
Applicants can even gain experience without a work permit as long as the work is authorized. There is nothing written anywhere that states work done under OCWP after completion of studies is inadmissible. If it is inadmissible they'll state it, and not send subliminal messages.

Just to make it safe for the OP, I would advise to accumulate your whole 12 months experience on your PGWP just in case. There's no clear answer to this question, but you'll rather be safe than sorry.

YoungJC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Passport Req..
03/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
03/26/2014
LANDED..........
03/31/2014
By the way, I remember someone on this forum who stated that work gained under his OCWP was counted for his application. It may well be at the discretion of the VO

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
YoungJC said:
By the way, I remember someone on this forum who stated that work gained under his OCWP was counted for his application. It may well be at the discretion of the VO
That's correct. But we all know that rules change. And yes, it's at the VOs discretion in individual cases.