+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Odd Job or Study Field Related?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 4 months vacation this summer, im not sure if i should get into an odd job (paid) or a job/volunteer/ or anything related kind of work (paid/unpaid) which is related to my field of study?

is there even a chance on finding a position which is related to my field, even entry level is fine.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Finding a job related to your field of study depends on your field and how much demand there is. If you're able to find an internship, I would suggest to go for it. even if it is unpaid. If you manage to impress them with your work, they might hire you back after your graduation.

Odd jobs are easy to find, you can always go for them as a last resort.

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
Submitted pp with application (paper based)
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
razerblade said:
Finding a job related to your field of study depends on your field and how much demand there is. If you're able to find an internship, I would suggest to go for it. even if it is unpaid. If you manage to impress them with your work, they might hire you back after your graduation.

Odd jobs are easy to find, you can always go for them as a last resort.
Can we go for unpaid Internship even if our course doesnt offer Co-op??
I am planning for a Masters course from Concordia University College of alberta. My course is Master of Information System security Management.
This course doesnt have a co-op. So if i go for unpaid internship during the vacations, then do i have to seek permission of the institute or what??

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
parul154 said:
I am planning for a Masters course from Concordia University College of alberta. My course is Master of Information System security Management.
This course doesnt have a co-op. So if i go for unpaid internship during the vacations, then do i have to seek permission of the institute or what??
According to the new rules, you should be able to work full time during scheduled breaks:

Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.
Check here for more information:
Work Permit
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

New Rules
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
parul154 said:
as of now u dont need permission from college however u need a OCWP. after june u dont need OCWP either to work.
Co-op is preferred as most of the time u get course credit for it and u dont have to do all the courses(courses=subjects)
That being said finding a internship is a bit difficult.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
as of now u dont need permission from college however u need a OCWP. after june u dont need OCWP either to work.
Co-op is preferred as most of the time u get course credit for it and u dont have to do all the courses(courses=subjects)
That being said finding a internship is a bit difficult.
so those who applied for OCWP this month are scammed in some way? i mean to say, they just lost $155 for nothing.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
hell911 said:
so those who applied for OCWP this month are scammed in some way? i mean to say, they just lost $155 for nothing.
we dont know for now if people who currently have study permit will be able to work on their study permit only or not.....we will have to see once new rules come out