+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2021 - Citizenship Applications

NRY

Star Member
Dec 15, 2016
I am moving to the US on a greencard (immigrant visa) mid next month. I applied for citizenship on Oct 31, 2021.

I called IRCC about 9 months ago and asked if this would pose any issues with my citizenship application, and the response was, "No, it wouldn't so long as you meet the eligibility criteria." Intent to reside in Canada after receiving citizenship has been removed as a criteria for becoming a citizen. So moving to the US in itself does not lead to denial of your citizenship application.

The IRCC agent did tell me, they might scrutinise my application more than usual. I expect this would translate into delays in processing (although when i asked her if it would mean delays, she said not necessarily.)

The biggest challenge I think is just ensuring you meet the Residency obligation (730 days of physical presence in Canada within the last 5 years as of the day of your oath), and are able to travel to Canada for test and oath. As for communication from IRCC, it is mostly over email, but you can also update a US address with them to send you any communication (US is the only other country besides Canada for which they accept communication address.)

The IRCC agent was very friendly and seem to perceive the move as negative at all. In fact she congratulated me on it and wished me luck.
Hi @Wacky1.nash,
1) Your citizenship application may be scrutinized more because you are going to the US as a PR whereas the original question was about going to the US to work - non-immigrant visa.
2) For Citizenship 1095 days of physical presence required - not 730 days.
3) 1095 days in the last 5 years as of the day you sign the Citizenship Application - NOT as of the day of your oath.
4) These days both the Test and Oath can be taken online - Outside of Canada

Thanks,

Reactions: Shining Moon

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Hi @Wacky1.nash,
1) Your citizenship application may be scrutinized more because you are going to the US as a PR whereas the original question was about going to the US to work - non-immigrant visa.
3) 1095 days in the last 5 years as of the day you sign the Citizenship Application - NOT as of the day of your oath.

Thanks,
only the test can be take from outside canada , not the oath

Reactions: Wacky1.nash

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Hi @Wacky1.nash,

Thanks,
1) Please provide a source of this. From my understanding it does not make any difference whether it is an immigrant or non-immigrant visa. That differentiation is only relevant from the point of view of US. Canada only cares about you being in Canada or not.
2) I never said that it was for citizenship. I was talking about eligibility for maintaining PR... It is 730 days in the last 5 years. You are conflating the two requirements.
3) Provide source for this. This is incorrect, based on precedence cases I have seen, and more importantly from what is on the govt website.
4) Test can be taken online, but upon grant of exemption from IRCC, which is not a guarantee. There is no precedence so far of Oath being taken online.

Last edited:

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Application Type: Single
Application method: Online
Application Location: Toronto
App Received: 26th-Oct-2021
Physical presence: 1197 days
AOR: 20-Jan- 2022

In progress: 21-Jan- 2022

No in-progress update email. But I created an account and the status says in progress.
Is "In progress" different from "in process?"

Last edited:

Shining Moon

Star Member
Feb 16, 2014
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 7th, 2014
Doc's Request.
August 28th, 2014
AOR Received.
October 13th,2014
File Transfer...
Sep 30th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront in Jan,2014
Interview........
In dreams
LANDED..........
Awaiting...
1) Please provide a source of this. From my understanding it does not make any difference whether it is an immigrant or non-immigrant visa. That differentiation is only relevant from the point of view of US. Canada only cares about you being in Canada or not.
2) I never said that it was for citizenship. I was talking about eligibility for maintaining PR... It is 730 days in the last 5 years. You are conflating the two requirements.
3) Provide source for this. This is incorrect, based on precedence cases I have seen, and more importantly from what is on the govt website.
4) Test can be taken online, but upon grant of exemption from IRCC, which is not a guarantee. There is no precedence so far of Oath being taken online.
He was just trying to help you. Although he mixed the residency obligation with citizenship requirements, it doesn't mean you should be rude to him. If I were you I would have simply put the word that he was mixing the two different requirements and let it roll. Just try to be nice to people who take time out of their lives to respond.

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
Hi guys so I finally received my AOR not sure what caused the delay.

Application Type: Family of 2
Application method: Paper
Application Location: Mississauga, ON
App Sent: October 2nd
App Received: Unknown as I had no tracking number
Physical presence: 1197 days
AOR: 28- Jan- 2022

Now I have a question. I only received one email on my email address but my wife didn’t receive any emails (we applied together in one package). Should we receive separate emails or the one I got confirms the receipt of our joint application? Thanks

Reactions: siju22

anthony81

Jan 13, 2022
Hi guys so I finally received my AOR not sure what caused the delay.
That's great! Finally!

Now I have a question. I only received one email on my email address but my wife didn’t receive any emails (we applied together in one package). Should we receive separate emails or the one I got confirms the receipt of our joint application? Thanks
I received separate emails for each family member, with a different application ID. I'd suggest that your wife calls them and ask about her application, by providing her UCI. I believe the phone number is 1-888-242-2100 and then press 2 1 1 4 1 1 to speak with an agent - usually could get in line within 10 attempts.

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
That's great! Finally!

I received separate emails for each family member, with a different application ID. I'd suggest that your wife calls them and ask about her application, by providing her UCI. I believe the phone number is 1-888-242-2100 and then press 2 1 1 4 1 1 to speak with an agent - usually could get in line within 10 attempts.
Thanks! So what’s next? Just wait?

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
He was just trying to help you. Although he mixed the residency obligation with citizenship requirements, it doesn't mean you should be rude to him. If I were you I would have simply put the word that he was mixing the two different requirements and let it roll. Just try to be nice to people who take time out of their lives to respond.
I’m sorry, I don’t think I was rude. Also I was not asking for help. I was offering advice to someone else originally, and @NRY responded with 4 comments, that were either straight out incorrect or questionable. So I responded to each point so to find their sources and also to correct their statements so others would not get misled.

Providing incorrect information here could have negative consequences to people who read them and assume them to be correct, and base their actions on that misinformation.

I was just being direct. Regardless, I apologise if I came across as rude. It was not my intent.

Last edited:

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
The tracking sheet has a column labelled, "In Process ecas"

When I check their online account, my status says "In Progress." (I only received AOR yesterday).

So at what point does one's application go into "In process," and how does one know the date.

Also what is the significance of it?

W

5Kent

Star Member
Nov 17, 2021
Ottawa, ON
The tracking sheet has a column labelled, "In Process ecas"

When I check their online account, my status says "In Progress." (I only received AOR yesterday).

So at what point does one's application go into "In process," and how does one know the date.

Also what is the significance of it?

W
It is the same thing. The online tracker says "in progress", and in the google spreadsheet it is recorded in the "in process ecas" column. The meaning is that your application is now officially in the pipeline, the system is "processing" it.

Reactions: Wacky1.nash

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
It is the same thing. The online tracker says "in progress", and in the google spreadsheet it is recorded in the "in process ecas" column. The meaning is that your application is now officially in the pipeline, the system is "processing" it.
Thank you.

I guess I am "in process" then :)

Application Type: Single
Application method: Online
Application Location: Toronto, ON
App Sent: October 31
App Received: October 31
Physical presence: 1117 days
AOR: Jan 27 2022
In Process: Jan 28 2022

Reactions: 5Kent and siju22

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Officially 'In Progress' for exactly 4 weeks - No movement - sigh :(

Let's see how the next 4 weeks progresses. Hopefully some movement. Congratulations to all those who got their AOR this week. Hopefully everyone from October now has their AOR.