+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCTOBER 2015 - OUTLAND SPOUSAL APPLICANTS

Kellyvalentine123

Mar 26, 2016
TracyCa64 said:
Hey October Family!

I landed yesterday!! WOOHOO!!!
I landed at the Rainbow Bridge crossing in Niagara Falls. It went really smooth and I am very happy.

We went over to the US side and stayed there for about an hour. We walked around and checked out the American Falls. Not much to see over there, but it was cool to finally see it. We came back into Canada and told the border officer that I was landing. He asked me a few questions and completed a yellow paper and told me to take that into the CBSA office. I think I waited 30 min before they called my name. The agent actually took a new photo of me for my COPR form. I knew that CIC had changed the size and was never asked to send the new size in. I thought that was pretty cool. She was super nice through the whole process. It can take up to 12 weeks to receive my PR card.

I have goods to follow so I had my form and list all ready to go. I had to go over to a different agent to show him my goods to follow info. He stamped my list and then photocopied it. He attached this accounting form that he got from the Cashier. It basically had the info to show that I won't be paying any duty tax on my items when they get shipped here.
I had two copies of my list of items and the B4 forms, but the agent told me he only needed one set. He actually just photocopied it after he stamped each page. For the value I just put down a garage sale value for each of my boxes. Some boxes had no value so I put zero.
He didn't question anything on my list.

I am so happy for this chapter to be complete. I feel like a real person again. LOL

Thank you to everyone here on the forum who contributed to my journey. I appreciate every bit of advice and all the support and smiles.
I will still be around on the boards to help anyone if I can.

Smiles!! :D
Tracy

congrats!!! you say it takes 12 weeks to get PR card? in the meantime are you allow to work?

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Kellyvalentine123 said:
congrats!!! you say it takes 12 weeks to get PR card? in the meantime are you allow to work?
I need to go to Service Canada to get a SIN#. I was told that I could work with that. I really am not completely sure if I can work without the PR card though.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TracyCa64 said:
I need to go to Service Canada to get a SIN#. I was told that I could work with that. I really am not completely sure if I can work without the PR card though.
That's all you need , however you will need a photo ID , like a drivers license or passport , if you are in Ontario you can get an ID Card from Service Ontario .
You don't need the PR Card to work . Good to re-enter Canada

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
TANMEX said:
That's all you need , however you will need a photo ID , like a drivers license or passport , if you are in Ontario you can get an ID Card from Service Ontario .
You don't need to PR Card for nothing , it's only an ID Card . or to get back to Canada if you are not from a visa exempt country .
Oh cool! Good to know. I haven't gotten an Ontario DL or ID yet. I sent off for my driving record from California. I am hoping I can just exchange my drivers license withour having to take the test.
Thanks for the good info!!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Oh cool! Good to know. I haven't gotten an Ontario DL or ID yet. I sent off for my driving record from California. I am hoping I can just exchange my drivers license withour having to take the test.
Thanks for the good info!!
"You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:

any Canadian province or territory
Canadian Forces Europe
U.S. States"

and

"2+ years driving experience (with exchange)
You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence."

Edit: I was looking at the wrong section. So, I think, you might not need a driving record if your California license is at least 2 years old.

Catherine27

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2015
Doc's Request.
25-02-2016
AOR Received.
No AOR1 / AOR2: 21-01-16
File Transfer...
SA by mail 30-12-2015 (letter date: 14-12-2015)
Med's Request
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
28-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
10-03-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Hey October Family!

I landed yesterday!! WOOHOO!!!
I landed at the Rainbow Bridge crossing in Niagara Falls. It went really smooth and I am very happy.

We went over to the US side and stayed there for about an hour. We walked around and checked out the American Falls. Not much to see over there, but it was cool to finally see it. We came back into Canada and told the border officer that I was landing. He asked me a few questions and completed a yellow paper and told me to take that into the CBSA office. I think I waited 30 min before they called my name. The agent actually took a new photo of me for my COPR form. I knew that CIC had changed the size and was never asked to send the new size in. I thought that was pretty cool. She was super nice through the whole process. It can take up to 12 weeks to receive my PR card.

I have goods to follow so I had my form and list all ready to go. I had to go over to a different agent to show him my goods to follow info. He stamped my list and then photocopied it. He attached this accounting form that he got from the Cashier. It basically had the info to show that I won't be paying any duty tax on my items when they get shipped here.
I had two copies of my list of items and the B4 forms, but the agent told me he only needed one set. He actually just photocopied it after he stamped each page. For the value I just put down a garage sale value for each of my boxes. Some boxes had no value so I put zero.
He didn't question anything on my list.

I am so happy for this chapter to be complete. I feel like a real person again. LOL

Thank you to everyone here on the forum who contributed to my journey. I appreciate every bit of advice and all the support and smiles.
I will still be around on the boards to help anyone if I can.

Smiles!! :D
Tracy
TracyCa64!!!!!

Welcome to Canada❤❤❤

Octobre family is happy☀☀☀

The best for you and your family

Catherine27

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
"You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:

any Canadian province or territory
Canadian Forces Europe
U.S. States"

and

"2+ years driving experience (with exchange)
You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence."

Edit: I was looking at the wrong section. So, I think, you might not need a driving record if your California license is at least 2 years old.
Hey Decoy24601!
Thanks for the info. That sounds easy and great, just what I am looking for. LOL
My current DL isn't 2 years old yet, but that is because I just renewed it. I have been driving since I was 20 and I am almost 52, does that count? hahaha

I will at least have my driving record even if they don't require it. I requested it just in case.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Hey Decoy24601!
Thanks for the info. That sounds easy and great, just what I am looking for. LOL
My current DL isn't 2 years old yet, but that is because I just renewed it. I have been driving since I was 20 and I am almost 52, does that count? hahaha

I will at least have my driving record even if they don't require it. I requested it just in case.
Ah, if your license itself isn't at least 2 years old then I think that's when you need the driving record. I'll be having the same issue when I get my PR here in BC. With the driving record you should only need to do an eye exam. Transferring a driver's license from the US here in BC is actually just as easy and the same as ON, even though I think the requirements in general for getting a full license is more difficult. I'm so glad that I'll be able to transfer mine. I'd hate to have to go through the whole process again, and a more difficult one at that. I actually learned how to drive in winter in Alaska without studded tires in a small car ;D never had an accident.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Ah, if your license itself isn't at least 2 years old then I think that's when you need the driving record. I'll be having the same issue when I get my PR here in BC. With the driving record you should only need to do an eye exam. Transferring a driver's license from the US here in BC is actually just as easy and the same as ON, even though I think the requirements in general for getting a full license is more difficult. I'm so glad that I'll be able to transfer mine. I'd hate to have to go through the whole process again, and a more difficult one at that. I actually learned how to drive in winter in Alaska without studded tires in a small car ;D never had an accident.
That is kind of strange that the actual DL needs to be 2 years old. I renewed it a year ago I think and it's good for 5 years. At least my driving record will show my years of experience.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
That is kind of strange that the actual DL needs to be 2 years old. I renewed it a year ago I think and it's good for 5 years. At least my driving record will show my years of experience.
Eh, it makes sense to me. If the issue date is less than 2 years from the current date then they don't have a way of knowing you have 2+ years of driving experience. But with a driving record you'll be fine.

However, you might need to wait for your actual PR card to get your DL transferred. I know in BC the COPR is not a valid document for getting a DL. I'll try and see what I can find out about this in ON.

Edit: The COPR shows up on their accepted list of documents, so I think that with your old DL and your passport you will be fine.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Catherine27 said:
TracyCa64!!!!!

Welcome to Canada❤❤❤

Octobre family is happy☀☀☀

The best for you and your family

Catherine27
Hi Catherine!
Thank you so much! It's a very happy feeling to be done.

How is your application going? Any updates?

Hugs!!

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Eh, it makes sense to me. If the issue date is less than 2 years from the current date then they don't have a way of knowing you have 2+ years of driving experience. But with a driving record you'll be fine.

However, you might need to wait for your actual PR card to get your DL transferred. I know in BC the COPR is not a valid document for getting a DL. I'll try and see what I can find out about this in ON.

Edit: The COPR shows up on their accepted list of documents, so I think that with your old DL and your passport you will be fine.
Yeah, that is true if they only have the issue date to go by.

Do you know if I get this done at the Drive Test office or at Service Ontario? I know you are in BC, but wondered if you knew.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Yeah, that is true if they only have the issue date to go by.

Do you know if I get this done at the Drive Test office or at Service Ontario? I know you are in BC, but wondered if you knew.
From what I found on their website, you should be able to transfer your license at a Drive Test office: "You may apply at any of our 55 DriveTest Centres province-wide. For information on our DriveTest Centres, please refer to the Locations page." http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

There's also a more detailed breakdown of the licensing agreements between US states and Ontario: "Current, valid full class drivers licence with documentation to satisfy all three (3) identification requirements2. An IRE search is mandatory for all applicants and may present a delay in processing an exchange if a successful search is not completed. It is therefore recommended that you obtain a driving record (dated within six months of your application and indicating the date the licence was first issued) to prevent any delays in processing. The driving record must be an original; fax and photocopies are not acceptable."

So, for California DL a driving record is mandatory no matter what your DL says.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
From what I found on their website, you should be able to transfer your license at a Drive Test office: "You may apply at any of our 55 DriveTest Centres province-wide. For information on our DriveTest Centres, please refer to the Locations page." http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

There's also a more detailed breakdown of the licensing agreements between US states and Ontario: "Current, valid full class drivers licence with documentation to satisfy all three (3) identification requirements2. An IRE search is mandatory for all applicants and may present a delay in processing an exchange if a successful search is not completed. It is therefore recommended that you obtain a driving record (dated within six months of your application and indicating the date the licence was first issued) to prevent any delays in processing. The driving record must be an original; fax and photocopies are not acceptable."

So, for California DL a driving record is mandatory no matter what your DL says.
Cool! I am glad I sent off a request for it.
Thank you so much for helping me.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
TracyCa64 said:
Cool! I am glad I sent off a request for it.
Thank you so much for helping me.
No problem ;D. Congratulations on your PR by the way.

Edit: I have a question of my own. If you fill out a B4 goods to follow list does that mean you can ship items duty free too? I always assumed I had to take them across in person later on. What's the cheapest shipper to use? My sister went ahead and packed up all my stuff to get a quote for when the time comes, and she was quoted over $200 just for shipping fees (she didn't say where). This is only from Bellingham, WA to Vancouver, BC. so paying that much seems outrageous.