waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
BrianDell said:
I substantially agree that it doesn't hurt to try, not least because there was a legal case where CIC decided someone was inadmissible for not disclosing a previous TRV denial and the denied person's lawyer successfully argued that the failure to disclose was not material as it would not have affected the processing or outcome of the PR application, but I do note that CIC apparently didn't agree with that view until told to comply by a judge (it could be that CIC just didn't like the misrepresentation as opposed to what the misrepresentation was about, but the reality is that previous denials are asked about and therefore presumptively relevant).
i'm not saying to NOT mention a denied visitor visa in a pr application. i am saying any past failed application to enter canada or a refusal of entry ALONE does not cause a pr application to be rejected. I received an exclusion order, it was noted in my application, and it had absolutely no impact on my application. yes, it was noted in my notes, because it's part of my history. my point is that having that exclsuion order did not weight too heavily in the decision to issue me pr. being rejected for a visitor's visa or entry into canada ALONE doesn't hurt someone's changes to become pr. that is percisely the reason why a person applies for pr... for permission to be in canada with their spouse. you are confusing 2 issues here. misrepresentation is one thing. being deny a visa is something different. misrepresentation will cause rejection, being denied entry ALONE without any other red flags won't.

kerryannbailey

Star Member
Mar 26, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/10/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
20/11/2014
File Transfer...
/SA: 26/11/2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
29/09/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
21/07/2015
LANDED..........
10/08/2015
DanSlh said:
Keep in mind that most of people just add their initial informations on spreadsheet and get abducted by aliens and never come back.
Most likely there's more good news than it appears.
No they're talking about it. I stalked almost the entire thread first before I read the spreadsheet. I wanted to see if people just weren't updating thier stuff on the little side panel.

Visnid14

Mar 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 26th, 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 18th, 2015
File Transfer...
Feb 25th, 2015
Med's Request
Re-med Dec 07th, 2015
Med's Done....
Dec 11th, 2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 15th, 2016 sent to Ottawa same day.
LANDED..........
April 09th, 2015 on TRV
Divyanjali said:
Hii did anyone apply for TRV???
Any updates..people are gettin positive response...well i am in no mood to risk my file
Better be late than never ...but happy for those who nailed it rite...
My wife got one year multiple entry and we are november 26th applicants. I searched everything before I applied for her visa and you can check yourself at canadian consulate website for India where they clearly state that the TRV have no impact on PR application and will be granted if you are eligible.

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
DM: Mar 20 2016
draxz1289 said:
Congrats everyone, its great to see updates on this thread.

Divyanjali: this was the conversation on this thread earlier
Yes it is necessary to inform CRA of a marital change and it can be done online or by calling them. While filing it will ask for your marital status as of Dec 31, 2014 so if you were married by then you will have to file as being married.

This link show the rules

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it513r/it513r-e.html#P178_25861

In terms of filing taxes for your spouse:
You dont need to file the taxes for your spouse since they are not in the country

In terms of adding your spouse (non-resident) to your taxes:
The person filing for taxes is able to add a non-resident spouse to the filing. I called the CRA and confirmed with two agent; they said I will have to declare her world income and have to show proof if requested of us being married (they suggest that if you are supporting your spouse, you can show the payment receipts but I presume a marriage certificate etc will also help). This was the same story told by my tax consultant at H&R block with whom I have been filing.

Since my wife is not working and has no income other than mine, I added her to my taxes and claimed her (I think her base was 11,000 odd) and got a bigger tax refund Smiley Smiley
Wow!!! This is great advise draxx!!! It will definitely bring me a bigger refund this year if this is true.

I got married in December of 2014 and doing my tax returns today and was pretty sad to see that I had to pay the govt a small amount. Now with the info you have provided I am able to get some moneyt back!!!! Yipppee!!!

Any other members have the same experience? My spouse back home is still studying and has zero world income and I support her by sending money every few weeks. I hope I am not doing anything wrong by claiming her as my dependednt and getting a tax refund. Also, wouldnt I have to put my non-resident spouses SIN number which she obviously doesnt have yet?

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
I was married on Sept 26 the 2013 and claimed my husband last year on line 303 as I support him I sent copy of his I'd card from Cuba And a copy of his passport as well as an estimate of his previous income in Canadian dollars as I was requested to do by the tax department after they received my income tax file I also sent copies of receipts and explained that we were applying for sponsorship. This year I will send our file numbet , uic numbers for both of us.

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
Galano1213 said:
I was married on Sept 26 the 2013 and claimed my husband last year on line 303 as I support him I sent copy of his I'd card from Cuba And a copy of his passport as well as an estimate of his previous income in Canadian dollars as I was requested to do by the tax department after they received my income tax file I also sent copies of receipts and explained that we were applying for sponsorship. This year I will send our file numbet , uic numbers for both of us.
Thank you so much for such a quick reply!! What is "uic" numbers?

Also, do you mind me asking how much of a difference it made on your tax reyturns after adding your spouse? I am asking as I only got married end of Dec 2014 and I am getting a tax refund of close to 1k more than in the case of not aadding her.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
UIC number i the number you get from CIC when you receive your aor. I received over 1k as well

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
No, I'm not "confusing 2 issues here." There's only one issue: whether a visitor visa rejection is relevant. Misrepresentation only comes into this in that Section 40 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act mentions "material facts relating to a relevant matter" and the cases that that section concerns happen to be misrepresentation cases (the section implies that "not material" is a defence to a charge of misrepresentation). What we're interested in is what CIC and the courts have had to say about materiality and relevance.

On that point, I note that failure to disclose a temporary resident visa has been held to be "material" by the courts, for example by the federal court in Edmonton, as Justice Strickland ruled in September 2013:
"The Respondent [CIC] submits that [Lochandath Goburdhun]'s failure to disclose the previous temporary resident visa application constituted a material misrepresentation. ...
In my view, the misrepresentation in this case was material."

Justice Strickland calls attention to CIC's policy document entitled ENF 2/OP 18 Evaluating Inadmissibility. In it we read,
"10.4. Materiality
(1) information requested from applicants will be considered relevant, otherwise this information would not be requested; ..."

I think rcohen's "absolutely no impact" statement is too, well, absolute. Even if one could be "absolutely" certain about that, it might matter for someone else. It's not just me asking why visitor visa refusals are asked about in the PR application, it says right there in CIC's manual that they wouldn't be asking for this if they didn't think it relevant to the PR application.

Having said all that, I note that I agree that it's reasonable to believe that the "impact" on whether one will eventually get PR is likely to be negligible. And, indeed, that's why I pointed to another case where, according to Bellissmo Law Group, a judge ruled that for a PR applicant (Goburdhun was applying for another temporary resident visa), it wasn't material. Indeed, the CIC policy document continues from what I quoted above to say "relevant" is not equivalent to the "material" used in section 40:
"(2) this relevant information will not always affect the process undertaken by an officer or the final decision. Only when it affects the process undertaken, or the final decision, does it become material. At this point, misrepresentation of the information means section A40 would apply, regardless of the decision outcome."

Would a TRV refusal make or break a PR application? No, not least because of the precedent that Bellissmo says they won, but that doesn't mean that that's our standard here. The question is whether it could potentially delay things. We know that it's "relevant" in CIC's view and it can furthermore be "material" in the view of the courts depending on the applicant's circumstances such as what the applicant is applying for.

The bottom line is that just because it's typically true that a family class PR applicant applying for a TRV does so in order "to be in canada with their spouse", that doesn't mean it's always true in the eyes of CIC to the extent that CIC will invariably just wave it by without spending time scrutinizing the TRV rejection. It could be that the family class PR applicant applying for a TRV is doing so because they want to enter the country for some other purpose and have decided to try every route that could get them in the door.

I nonetheless stand by what I said earlier, "I substantially agree that it doesn't hurt to try [to get a visit visa]" since "substantially" doesn't mean "absolutely".

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
missmywife said:
Wow!!! This is great advise draxx!!! It will definitely bring me a bigger refund this year if this is true.

I got married in December of 2014 and doing my tax returns today and was pretty sad to see that I had to pay the govt a small amount. Now with the info you have provided I am able to get some moneyt back!!!! Yipppee!!!

Any other members have the same experience? My spouse back home is still studying and has zero world income and I support her by sending money every few weeks. I hope I am not doing anything wrong by claiming her as my dependednt and getting a tax refund. Also, wouldnt I have to put my non-resident spouses SIN number which she obviously doesnt have yet?
You can still refile I think (though I am not sure how that works) You dont need a SIN for non-resident spouse addition to your taxes SIN is needed only when they filing.

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
draxz1289 said:
You can still refile I think (though I am not sure how that works) You dont need a SIN for non-resident spouse addition to your taxes SIN is needed only when they filing.
Hi draxz....I hadn't filed my tax returns for 2014 yet......I was just entering all my info into Ufile and thats when I stumbled on your awesome post.

As I mentioned in my post earlier...I dont want to do anything to invite the wrath ofCRA by claiming something I shouldnt have.

In my case I am a canadian citizen who got married in Dec of 2014 to an Indian citizen....She is a student still and I have been sending her money to support her studies and day to day expenses. if I were to claim her as dependent on my tax returns for 2014 I am getting over 1K back instead of owing to theCRA. ;D

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
You are supposed to notify Revenue Canada when your marital status changes. Am sure you are good to go, my first thought was they maybe prorate the months or days in your case and count only when you were married. And subtract her income, but you say she's unemployed. Then I went on Google and it says if at any time you were married in that year you can claim for your spouse as a non resident. You will probably have to provide a copy of marriage certificate in case they ask.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
MaryL said:
You are supposed to notify Revenue Canada when your marital status changes. Am sure you are good to go, my first thought was they maybe prorate the months or days in your case and count only when you were married. And subtract her income, but you say she's unemployed. Then I went on Google and it says if at any time you were married in that year you can claim for your spouse as a non resident. You will probably have to provide a copy of marriage certificate in case they ask.
I found this to be very beneficial re: taxes and a foreign spouse
http://www.howlandtax.com/articles/nonresident-spouse.htm

missmywife

Star Member
Mar 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
21-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-06-2015
Med's Request
25-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Interview........
MaryL said:
Thank you MaryL and bigredmoose. That gives me confidence that I am doing it right! :)

Just had my moment of doubt seeing that I am able to get over 1k back fromCRA just by adding a non-resident spouse who I got married to end of Dec. Now I am confident that I am doing it right. I should prepare myself with providing proof though which I'm sure they will ask.

shortyp2000

Mar 15, 2015
Hamilton
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2015
Med's Done....
24-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 9, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov 12, 2015!!!
warzo said:
My item has been sitting at "Out for Delivery" for a few days now.

I am so worried. I have called Canada Post and they are now investigating. Chances are that the signature is not updated but I am frustrated that we paid so much to get the package delivered next day, and expect that the information would be updated at least within 24 hours if not immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this before. It's all our hard work that I would hate to lose.
That happened to me as well, and a few days later it showed that it had been accepted days before hand.... i think its just Canada Posts website not being updated properly

august10

Star Member
Sep 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october 27 2014
AOR Received.
February 11 2015
File Transfer...
February 24 2015
Med's Done....
September 17th 2014
I haven't received AOR2 till now. A month has already passed since I got my SA . Shall I call cic and let them know ? Would they be able to help ? NDVO is right now looking at july applicants , the wait just makes everyone so sad. Iam going to visit my hubby in august as its our anniversary :) thinking about that makes me happy that I will be there with him for even a month .