+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
My OCI status says it is dispatched from MOIA New Delhi on 18th July 2016. I'm not sure if I get it before my travel on 1st August. Any idea how long it takes CGI Vancouver to receive it and then deliver to us??

VTG

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
2015-01-29
AOR Received.
2015-03-10
File Transfer...
2015-06-02
Wondering is anyone knows how long will i see under process ? My application was recvd June 16th 2016 and i plan to go to India in October
----
Applicant Name
File Acknowledgment Number CANV********
Date Of Acknowledgment 22-JUN-2016
Registration Status at Mission VANCOUVER
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS
-----

Thank you !

nyadlapati

May 3, 2016
I ve sent all my documents to BLS Vancouver on July 2nd, but the date of acknowledgement on the CGI says July 19th and status of the application is in process. the status page also displays a message that the maximum time for printing the OCI booklet is 42 days if everything is good. Are they strictly following this 42 days deadline. I wanted to book a trip at the end of the October. Can anyone who recently got their OCI card(meateater or Yogi) share their time line? Thanks in advance.

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
nyadlapati said:
I ve sent all my documents to BLS Vancouver on July 2nd, but the date of acknowledgement on the CGI says July 19th and status of the application is in process. the status page also displays a message that the maximum time for printing the OCI booklet is 42 days if everything is good. Are they strictly following this 42 days deadline. I wanted to book a trip at the end of the October. Can anyone who recently got their OCI card(meateater or Yogi) share their time line? Thanks in advance.
I suggest do not rely on the processing time of 42 days. My application is well over 3 months and I still do not have my OCI. You may wait since you have time. There are couple of options available in case if you do not receive your OCI in time.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ummaz said:
Hello every one,

I need help from Canadian posters. BLS India is asking latter immigration Canada, that i never applied for refugee status. I looked every where Canadian immigration site, but i couldn't find the application. i would really appreciate, if somebody help me find this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Why did BLS ask about it? Any specific reason?

As per the following link: http://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php it states "(3). If applicant will not be able to provide far back proof, they are required to submit a letter from CIC Refugee Board stating that they have not applied for Refugee Status in Canada.atip@irb-cisr.gc.ca"

DilipJoshi

Jul 27, 2016
Yogi3845 said:
I suggest do not rely on the processing time of 42 days. My application is well over 3 months and I still do not have my OCI. You may wait since you have time. There are couple of options available in case if you do not receive your OCI in time.
Just ignore 42 days notice. This is actually what happened to me:

Submission of documents at BLS: Jun 23
Date of Acknowledgement: Jul 5
Processed (New Delhi): Jul 19
Dispatched (New Delhi): Jul 23
Received Toronto: <blank> - Today is Jul 27

So, as you see it took less than 30 days for me from submission to dispatch from New Delhi ! Now the challenge is how soon it is received by Toronto. Hear that it could be anything upto 2 weeks, but no reliable info.

DilipJoshi

Jul 27, 2016
Does anyone know the exact process after the new OCI card is received at Toronto from New Delhi? Previously, one had to submit the new passport, old passport, old OCI card, etc. Does one just pick up the new OCI card in person or need to submit passports? The reason for asking is that I have travel coming up in 2 weeks, and OCI was dispatched from New Delhi on Jul 23rd, 2016. I need to make alternate arrangements, if the pick up process will add additional week turnaround. Any advise, feed-back?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
DilipJoshi said:
Does anyone know the exact process after the new OCI card is received at Toronto from New Delhi? Previously, one had to submit the new passport, old passport, old OCI card, etc. Does one just pick up the new OCI card in person or need to submit passports? The reason for asking is that I have travel coming up in 2 weeks, and OCI was dispatched from New Delhi on Jul 23rd, 2016. I need to make alternate arrangements, if the pick up process will add additional week turnaround. Any advise, feed-back?
Have you paid for courier charges at BLS Centre? If yes, then the OCI card and other originals that you have submitted gets delivered to your address. This is the process for Vancouver office. I am not too sure about Toronto office

Now a days VISA sticker is not stamped on the Canadian Passport.

nyadlapati

May 3, 2016
Yogi3845 said:

Hi Yogi, can u please suggest me what other options are available if the the OCI is delayed?

DilipJoshi

Jul 27, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
Have you paid for courier charges at BLS Centre? If yes, then the OCI card and other originals that you have submitted gets delivered to your address. This is the process for Vancouver office. I am not too sure about Toronto office

Now a days VISA sticker is not stamped on the Canadian Passport.

No you misunderstand my question - I already got all my original documents back via Courier. I am talking about AFTER that, the OCI application is sent and processed in New Delhi. Currently it is showing that OCI is 'Processed" on Jul 19th and 'Dispatched' from MOIA on Jul 23. The question was more what happens after the new OCI document arrives in Toronto. Do I just go to the BLS centre and pick up my new OCI once it shows received in Toronto OR expect to go to BLS Centre and submit my Passport, old OCI and old passport again? In other words, is it just handed over OR does it take another week before I get it.

DilipJoshi

Jul 27, 2016
nyadlapati said:
Hi Yogi, can u please suggest me what other options are available if the the OCI is delayed?
Though I have not received mine yet, there is nothing anyone can do UNTIL your application shows "Processed" and "Dispatched" from MOIA. Once that happens, I am thinking that you may be able to approach OCI officer at the Consulate and see if they are able to expedite the pick up process. Few days after the status shows "Dispatched", just go to the consulate and explain your circumstances and request help. Apart from that there is nothing else anyone can do.

I know it is frustrating. I am in the same boat.

Hope that helps.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
DilipJoshi said:
No you misunderstand my question - I already got all my original documents back via Courier. I am talking about AFTER that, the OCI application is sent and processed in New Delhi. Currently it is showing that OCI is 'Processed" on Jul 19th and 'Dispatched' from MOIA on Jul 23. The question was more what happens after the new OCI document arrives in Toronto. Do I just go to the BLS centre and pick up my new OCI once it shows received in Toronto OR expect to go to BLS Centre and submit my Passport, old OCI and old passport again? In other words, is it just handed over OR does it take another week before I get it.
If you have paid BLS the courier fees, usually the OCI card gets delivered to your address.
If not, you may get a call from BLS or you can check status online and then visit BLS centre to grab your OCI.
If you have already received your originals back, BLS may not ask you to resubmit those again.
Did you submit your old OCI when submitting the application? If not, BLS might ask you to resubmit it again.

My question for you: If you already had OCI, why did you reapply? Name change/particulars change or the age issue < 20 years or more than 50 years?

In 2014 when Indian Consulate used to issue U visa sticker, what happened was that I was called by BLS to bring my son's Canadian passport and when I submitted it, they sent the originals back to me along with the canadian passport stamped with the U VISA sticker.

Now a days, Indian Consulate does not issue any U VISA sticker thus you won't be required to submit your canadian passport.

canadaon

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happens after the passport gets expired? Does the OCI card is transferred to the new passport? How much does it cost to do so?

DilipJoshi

Jul 27, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
If you have paid BLS the courier fees, usually the OCI card gets delivered to your address.
If not, you may get a call from BLS or you can check status online and then visit BLS centre to grab your OCI.
If you have already received your originals back, BLS may not ask you to resubmit those again.
Did you submit your old OCI when submitting the application? If not, BLS might ask you to resubmit it again.

My question for you: If you already had OCI, why did you reapply? Name change/particulars change or the age issue < 20 years or more than 50 years?

In 2014 when Indian Consulate used to issue U visa sticker, what happened was that I was called by BLS to bring my son's Canadian passport and when I submitted it, they sent the originals back to me along with the canadian passport stamped with the U VISA sticker.

Now a days, Indian Consulate does not issue any U VISA sticker thus you won't be required to submit your canadian passport.
Thank you, Coolguysam - you are really cool !

- Yes, I paid for the courier fees when originally submitted application. So, if I understand you correctly, I should also expect to receive my new OCI document delivered via Courier too;
- Yes, I received all originals back already, including my new passport, old original OCI, old expired passport with OCI stamp, expired Indian passport, Surrender certificate, etc. A week after submission;
- Why applied - actually it is for my daughter. She crossed 20 years and applied for OCI miscellaneous application for transfer to her new Canadian passport

The confusion was that when the original documents were returned via courier, the package had Acknowledgement Slip with a note "For collection/Pick up - Documents needed: Canadian Passport, online status, acknowledgement slip AND OCI Card and old Canadian Passport". That is what threw me off, raising couple of questions - (1) what happens to the old OCI card, which is NOT cancelled as yet; (2) what happens to old sticker, which is not cancelled as yet. Hence I started thinking that I have to return these documents for cancellation before they hand over the new one. Maybe it is not necessary. Please advise if this is your understanding too.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canadaon said:
What happens after the passport gets expired? Does the OCI card is transferred to the new passport? How much does it cost to do so?
If passport expires, you need to carry old passport, new passport and the OCI card.

When the person is below age of 20 or beyond age of 50 and if canadian passport expires and a new one is reissued then the OCI card needs to be renewed as well with nominal fee of around 28+ dollars.