+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

SSV70

Jun 17, 2015
Hi Calgary15;

Please find my write up on the OCI application, applied in Calgary, bit long sorry as I tried to explain everything I guess. This is only my experience and I had no problems; I always carried as per the document requirement, but had to shed out lot of papers.

I have applied for OCI on the 14th Dec2015 and received the OCI passports on 19th Feb2016 via courier (2adults and 2 children).
The following are the difference than what I had expected as the rules have changed recently

1) one has to upload the photo, Signature - size cannot exceed 30kb, file has to be jpeg - height, width has to be exactly as asked
I scanned as photo with size as close as possible 51cmX51cm and used paint to get the exact size while maintain the aspect ratio. Same for Signature. Signed on the paper and scanned as picture or photo. While scanning use 150dpi as the setting, I did it in my HP photo scanner, use trial first to get the hang of it

2) Documents can not exceed 500kb and so while scanning use 100-200dpi setting. if more pages like passport, use lower dpi. While uploading, there is a pull down menu and that has options for only Indian passport proof, Current passport (Canada), marriage Certificate and relationship certificate (birth certificate) and no specifics for Canadian citizenship certificate and landing papers. But you have to use india visa and pia card options to upload the these two documents. I did not upload before applying and asked them that there is no specific option for citizenship and landing papers and then later when I returned home I uploaded however they accept the application form

3) All the documents needed to be self attested. we all four signed in respective applications. On the application of children, both parents need to sign. Scan after signature

4) The checklist is not the exact need. The took only the following irrespective of what the checklist is demanding

If you apply for the entire family (passport surrender and OCI can be applied together)

Surrender Application, Canada Passport copy, Citizenship copy and the latest Indian passport copy - for each application (Original India Passport will be sent with application)

OCI:

Application form A and B for each applicant (they will ask a question in form-B, do you have relative in India, answered yes and provided parents, siblings names upto four, while printing it comes as family members, so do not worry). After printing stick a photo in the part-A form. There will be additional pages in the print, not taken as well (Information)
Latest India Passport copy - self attested
Canada Passport copy - Self Attested
Marriage Certificate - for adult, self attested
Birth Certificate - for children, self attested (Original if born outside India will be sent) If you did not want original to go, then notary
Landing papers - for each self attested (Original Landing papers will be sent as well) - If you did not want original to go, then notary
Canadian Citizenship certificate copy - self attested

If you are applying separately then parents passport for children, your passport for your spouse is needed

The checklist we filled was NOT taken for both surrender and OCI. Also the surrender form says at the bottom three copies of passport forms and 3 photos. So we went with three surrender application copies after filling, four photos, one for OCI and three for surrender but not taken

Please let me know if any questions. One more thing is that if you are paying by debit card make sure tour daily limit is 2500$ for that day (4applications). I did not have and I had call my bank and that took an hour or so

Hope this helps;

Reactions: vvarma

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
I got the below notification on the BLS tracking site :(

"Incomplete / Insufficient data - Contact BLS Centre
Photo is dark, plz re-upload photo as per MHA instructions"

How do you re-upload picture?

Is it here? http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome

Also, what is the Online Registration No? is it the number on the receipt from BLS? the one that starts with "OCI"

I presume the Passport number is the Canada passport number.

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fedex682 said:
I got the below notification on the BLS tracking site :(

"Incomplete / Insufficient data - Contact BLS Centre
Photo is dark, plz re-upload photo as per MHA instructions"

How do you re-upload picture?

Is it here? http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome

Also, what is the Online Registration No? is it the number on the receipt from BLS? the one that starts with "OCI"

I presume the Passport number is the Canada passport number.
You can re-upload the images by clicking on 'OCI Image Upload/Re-upload'

Online Registration No is the number starts with 'CAN'. You can find this number under the bar code in your printed form.

Don't forget to reprint the documents after uploading new photo.

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
WindsorFeb15Aspirant said:
You can re-upload the images by clicking on 'OCI Image Upload/Re-upload'

Online Registration No is the number starts with 'CAN'. You can find this number under the bar code in your printed form.

Don't forget to reprint the documents after uploading new photo.
Thanks for the reply!

I had a chat with the BLS contact center and they said that I only need to reupload the picture and I am not require to reprint the document because the consulate already has my documents.

Should I reprint just in case and head down to the BLS office?

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
We have planned to visit India in August, we are expecting my Canadian Passport by 6th May

so to be on safe side, thinking to give-up Indian passport & application for OCI after coming back.

- while traveling to India, which passport I should use new (Canadian) or existing (Indian)?

any suggestions please :-[ ? ? ?

Is there any dead line (period) to give up existing passport ?

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
You would need to use Canadian passport only. It is illegal to travel on Indian passport if you are a Canadian Citizen.

Notes from BLS website:

The Mission/Consulate would levy penalty if the Indian passport has not been cancelled for more than 3 years, or if it was utilized to visit India or any other consular service was obtained after acquiring foreign nationality. The penalty would be in addition to the Renunciation Fee. Following are the provisions relating to penalty:

1. Penalty for retention of Indian passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship for a period in excess of three years from the date of acquiring Canadian citizenship
a) If your Passport expired on or before 31 December, 2004 - no penalty
b) If your passport expired on or after 1 January, 2005 - C$ 343
(Note: Retention Penalty (C$343) is different from Renunciation Fee (C$ 240). The latter needs to be paid by those who acquire foreign nationality on or after 1 June, 2010.)
2. Penalty for travelling on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 343 for each time, subject to a maximum of C$ 1711
3. Penalty for getting Indian Passport renewed or re-issued after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 856 for each such renewal or reissue.
4. Penalty for obtaining any miscellaneous passport service (name change, etc.) on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 343 for each such service.

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
+1, that's gr8, and thanks for sharing that there is buffer period of 3 years... we would give it up in last week of August 2016 (once we are back)....

one more help please - Since we would be traveling to India on Canadian passport, Do we have to apply for Indian Visa here (in Canada) or can we get Indian visa on arrival at Indian airport... which is easy to process?
(I don't have good experience with BSL service in the past, so if possible I wish to avoid visit at BSL office - any suggestions please...)

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
ok I found something Good & Interesting,

Good
----
In order to simplify the India visa application process, the Online e-Tourist Visa system implemented by the Indian Government allows, starting November 2015, foreign nationals from certain countries to travel to India for business or pleasure, for stays of up to 30 days with a e-Tourist Visa (eTV), requested and delivered electronically.

Interesting
-----------
if you apply more than 30 days in advance to your expected date of arrival, you will get reply [decision] once 20 - 25 days are left from your arrival date.

- you may get approve or reject decision
- there will be no reason given to you for rejection
- there won't be refund to paid Visa fee

Sasky

Apr 7, 2015
BLS: Brampton, Ontario
Date of Acknowledgement: March 29, 2016
Originals sent back: April 1, 2016
Printing status: Under process

When can I expect my OCI. Also, I will be away for the next 2-3 months from Toronto area. How can I designate someone on my behalf to go pick up OCI and submit Canadian passport for sticker?

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
sunafi said:
+1, that's gr8, and thanks for sharing that there is buffer period of 3 years... we would give it up in last week of August 2016 (once we are back)....

one more help please - Since we would be traveling to India on Canadian passport, Do we have to apply for Indian Visa here (in Canada) or can we get Indian visa on arrival at Indian airport... which is easy to process?
(I don't have good experience with BSL service in the past, so if possible I wish to avoid visit at BSL office - any suggestions please...)
Wow! So u thought it was so easy. U need to surrender to get visa, even the eTV needs to be approved before u fly ( it's not really a visa on arrival, it only means preapproved visa is stamped or stuck on to the passport upon arrival to select airports in India).
If u want to fly without having to deal with Indian bureaucracy, fly using Indian passport, but then how do u get back to Canada? u wouldn't have the PR card any more!!

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
sunafi said:
We have planned to visit India in August, we are expecting my Canadian Passport by 6th May

so to be on safe side, thinking to give-up Indian passport & application for OCI after coming back.

- while traveling to India, which passport I should use new (Canadian) or existing (Indian)?

any suggestions please :-[ ? ? ?

Is there any dead line (period) to give up existing passport ?
Surrender /relinquish Indian passport/ citizenship. Takes only a week and $250/ passport. Easy money for them.

Get the eTV visa (valid for 2 months) I believe... It should be all done well before Aug.

Grace period 3 yrs is all hogwash, true only on paper as is the visa for life shit!

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks,

I am putting together documents for OCI app. Need a quick suggestion - How to make photo and signature ready for uploading on OCI application (in respective sizes and quality)? Did you use any software? Please suggest..

Thanks,

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
cprak0 said:
Wow! So u thought it was so easy. U need to surrender to get visa, even the eTV needs to be approved before u fly ( it's not really a visa on arrival, it only means preapproved visa is stamped or stuck on to the passport upon arrival to select airports in India).
If u want to fly without having to deal with Indian bureaucracy, fly using Indian passport, but then how do u get back to Canada? u wouldn't have the PR card any more!!
+1 Thanks a lot for your reply and saving from doing mistake...

So you meant, before I could apply eTV, surrendering existing Indian passport is must. We are flying around 30th July , hopefully possible to complete during 3 months (you have shared takes a week, thanks for the info).

Last time experience with BSL Brampton was really bad, long queues and wait outside in cold, my application for renewal pp was verified on counter and I got token to wait, but had to reach office, so left after an hour; next time someone else on same counter rejected the form and said you have written DOB as Calcutta and in existing pp it's Calcutta (w.b), so go back fill online again and comeback. When I talked to supervisor mentioned that during last visit guy on the desk even gave me counter, she said rule got changed, when I asked when, she said last night. That was horrible. I went immediately to North yorh BSL office and it worked fine.

I wish I could avoid BSL, but seems left no choice.
Pray for us.

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
cprak0 said:
Surrender /relinquish Indian passport/ citizenship. Takes only a week and $250/ passport. Easy money for them.

Get the eTV visa (valid for 2 months) I believe... It should be all done well before Aug.

Grace period 3 yrs is all hogwash, true only on paper as is the visa for life *censored word*!
$250/ passport. Easy money for them :eek:
cash / debit card only

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
sunafi said:
$250/ passport. Easy money for them :eek:
cash / debit card only
Wait for 3 yrs and it will jump to $500 and u will still get 1 paper with 2 lines written on it within a week!!