+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

AvvK16

Feb 10, 2016
Hello all,

I recently received my Canadian citizenship and planning to apply OCI ASAP. I would like to seek advice/suggestion/information on an emergency issue in OCI application. My trip to India is scheduled for first week of April and have to get things done at earliest.

I landed with my spouse in 2005 and got PR in 2007. For family reasons, my spouse returned back to India in 2009 and never returned back and have no intention to come back. Right now, we're separated but not divorced. I would like to know what documents are required for OCI application in this case. Your reply to following questions will be of great help.

1. Should I specify as married or single in OCI application? There seem to be no separated option.
2. Spouse name is not in my passport, since I took it long before marriage. However, my name is in my spouse's passport, which got expired in 2012. Not renewed.
I have a copy of page of my spouse's passport where Canadian visa stamped. As, I do not have a copy of my spouse's passport, is this page sufficient for processing?
3. I have original landing document of both myself and my spouse. Should I submit both the landing documents with application?
4. I have a copy of our marriage certificate. Is this required?

I contacted BLS service centre to get information regarding this.. but was directed to Indian consulate for clarification. I could not get to speak to a representative in the consulate. So I send an email for information. No response till now.

All your help will be appreciated..
Thanks

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Hi friends,

Today went to the BLS office in Brampton and completed the first part of the OCI process:

1. Upload all the documents and take the screenshots of the upload and print our the registration forms . This link is useful in reducing the size of the documents to upload.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/wiki-how-to-create-a-pdf-file-to-upload-for-oci-application-t198732.html

You need to convert the jpeg into pdf format if you have them stored as jpg or jpeg. This link will help

http://smallpdf.com/jpg-to-pdf

2. Take photocopies of all the required documents (marriage certificate, 1st and last page of all Indian passports, Canadian Passport, Citizenship Certificate and Landing Paper)
3. Keep additional copies of the 1st and last page of the current Indian passport as they will ask for it though it is not a requirement listed in the form. You will have the option of taking photocopies there for 50 cents, but better to be prepared.
4. Keep all the originals. They only checked my passports and citizenship form and landing paper . They did not check the marriage certificate, though you can never be sure.
5. I did the draft through Scotiabank and they were able to print it out properly. I read on the forum that some people were finding it difficult to get the full line on the draft.
6. Go to the adjoining building (next to the actual BLS processing centre) and get the token and then come back to the main building and await your turn.
7. If children are minor then you need to take their birth certificate also.

If all the papers are complete and the originals, and photocopies and the screenshots are in place, then one visit to the BLS is enough. But I did see many people complaining that it was their 3-4th trip. So just read all the requirements carefully and go prepared.

I have to now wait to get confirmation from the consulate that the documents are in order. Then they will start the processing and it will be around 5-7 weeks before I get the OCI booklet.

Thanks ...

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
AvvK16 said:
Hello all,

I recently received my Canadian citizenship and planning to apply OCI ASAP. I would like to seek advice/suggestion/information on an emergency issue in OCI application. My trip to India is scheduled for first week of April and have to get things done at earliest.

I landed with my spouse in 2005 and got PR in 2007. For family reasons, my spouse returned back to India in 2009 and never returned back and have no intention to come back. Right now, we're separated but not divorced. I would like to know what documents are required for OCI application in this case. Your reply to following questions will be of great help.

1. Should I specify as married or single in OCI application? There seem to be no separated option.
2. Spouse name is not in my passport, since I took it long before marriage. However, my name is in my spouse's passport, which got expired in 2012. Not renewed.
I have a copy of page of my spouse's passport where Canadian visa stamped. As, I do not have a copy of my spouse's passport, is this page sufficient for processing?
3. I have original landing document of both myself and my spouse. Should I submit both the landing documents with application?
4. I have a copy of our marriage certificate. Is this required?

I contacted BLS service centre to get information regarding this.. but was directed to Indian consulate for clarification. I could not get to speak to a representative in the consulate. So I send an email for information. No response till now.

All your help will be appreciated..
Thanks
In your case, if you were the main sponsor as family applicant while coming to Canada then no problem and I don't think they need your spouse's passport copy. But if your spouse was the main applicant then the 1st time landing page with front and back+ original Indian passport of your spouse is a must. Indian consulate just want to ensure that there is no refugee applying getting OCI. ( there were few instances when PIO/ OCI scheme started many refugees of 84 era got OCIs/ PIOs- so they have streamlined the process)

kannadiga

Sep 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2011
File Transfer...
02-12-2011
Med's Done....
09-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012
LANDED..........
22-03-2012 (Insha Allah)
abemats2000 said:
Hi friends,

Today went to the BLS office in Brampton and completed the first part of the OCI process:

1. Upload all the documents and take the screenshots of the upload and print our the registration forms . This link is useful in reducing the size of the documents to upload.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/wiki-how-to-create-a-pdf-file-to-upload-for-oci-application-t198732.html

You need to convert the jpeg into pdf format if you have them stored as jpg or jpeg. This link will help

http://smallpdf.com/jpg-to-pdf

2. Take photocopies of all the required documents (marriage certificate, 1st and last page of all Indian passports, Canadian Passport, Citizenship Certificate and Landing Paper)
3. Keep additional copies of the 1st and last page of the current Indian passport as they will ask for it though it is not a requirement listed in the form. You will have the option of taking photocopies there for 50 cents, but better to be prepared.
4. Keep all the originals. They only checked my passports and citizenship form and landing paper . They did not check the marriage certificate, though you can never be sure.
5. I did the draft through Scotiabank and they were able to print it out properly. I read on the forum that some people were finding it difficult to get the full line on the draft.
6. Go to the adjoining building (next to the actual BLS processing centre) and get the token and then come back to the main building and await your turn.
7. If children are minor then you need to take their birth certificate also.

If all the papers are complete and the originals, and photocopies and the screenshots are in place, then one visit to the BLS is enough. But I did see many people complaining that it was their 3-4th trip. So just read all the requirements carefully and go prepared.

I have to now wait to get confirmation from the consulate that the documents are in order. Then they will start the processing and it will be around 5-7 weeks before I get the OCI booklet.

Thanks ...
Hi abemats2000,

Thanks for the detailed info. This is really helpful. One quick question, you mentioned we need to take screenshots of the uploads? This is not mentioned in the checklist. Are we supposed to take a printout of the screenshot? Why is this required?

Thanks.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
What I write on the mandatory field profession in OCI application form
the profession I studied and worked back home or the profession for work right now
Do we have to submit documents as proof of profession.
Thanks in advance

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
kannadiga said:
Hi abemats2000,

Thanks for the detailed info. This is really helpful. One quick question, you mentioned we need to take screenshots of the uploads? This is not mentioned in the checklist. Are we supposed to take a printout of the screenshot? Why is this required?

Thanks.
[/quote

Glad to be of help. The information is mentioned vaguely on the BLS site. Once you have finished the uploads, you will see a screen which will show you the uploads with a "Submit" button. Just take a screenshot and print it in the landscape mode. Then press submit. There is no option to directly print this page. BLS needs this as a proof of the 'document upload" since that page is missing in the final printout of the application. YOu may be asked to write against each upload on that page "Front and back page uploaded".

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
canmozu said:
What I write on the mandatory field profession in OCI application form
the profession I studied and worked back home or the profession for work right now
Do we have to submit documents as proof of profession.
Thanks in advance
Hi you need to write your current profession. No documents as proof for profession are required.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Sounds Good
Thanks abemats
One more question how many photos needed for surrender certificate and oci application in total.
Thanks.

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
canmozu said:
Sounds Good
Thanks abemats
One more question how many photos needed for surrender certificate and oci application in total.
Thanks.
Only one photo for OCI application. No photos are required for surrender certificate. They need 2" x 2" photo, with an off white background. They charge around CAD 15 at the OCI centre. You can take from Walmart or epassport.com. for less.

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
I just wanted to add one more point"

If you have unmarried children who are majors and are unable to accompany you to the BLS office for OCI (because of university etc), then be sure to take some blank papers with you. They will ask you to write down an undertaking stating that the children are unmarried as of that date. You can sign for them. Or you can take some signed papers from the children.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks abemats
it will save extra trip to BLS now.
I am just curious what information is shown on OCI booklet apart from photo, name and date of birth.

never_alone

Mar 7, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what the process for OCI was or if I am eligible at all in my case. I have an OCI (parents born in India), my wife is an Indian Citizen born in 1990, can our child apply and receive an OCI or not?

Thanks.

VTG

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
2015-01-29
AOR Received.
2015-03-10
File Transfer...
2015-06-02
I am wondering can I apply for e-visa and travel to India with a Canadian passport even though my OCI and surrender paperwork has not been submitted yet ??

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VTG said:
I am wondering can I apply for e-visa and travel to India with a Canadian passport even though my OCI and surrender paperwork has not been submitted yet ??
Yes you can travel on evisa without surrender or OCI. Do carry your Indian passport with you.