+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Kaurbal

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
It says "Place of Birth" should be as per Canadian passport. I am not sure how New Delhi to Delhi error (in Canadian passport) happened, but I think it is better to get that fixed.
My file got returned for the same reason as previously I filled as per Indian passport but bls want it according to Canadian passport.

Kaurbal

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
So did you end up providing an affidavit ?
If yes can you suggest the format ?
I just went to one of the notary in the area, showed my passports (indian and Canadian) and he wrote everything for me. That as per canadian passport my place of birth is mentioned is only the city and Indian passport its city/state, it is the same person.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I just went to one of the notary in the area, showed my passports (indian and Canadian) and he wrote everything for me. That as per canadian passport my place of birth is mentioned is only the city and Indian passport its city/state, it is the same person.
Thank you I will reach out to local notary for this document

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
It says "Place of Birth" should be as per Canadian passport. I am not sure how New Delhi to Delhi error (in Canadian passport) happened, but I think it is better to get that fixed.
This happened with daughters passport
Passport Canada said they cannot include New Delhi as a place of birth because the birth certificate only mentions Delhi in birth certificate

wink

May 25, 2021
This happened with daughters passport
Passport Canada said they cannot include New Delhi as a place of birth because the birth certificate only mentions Delhi in birth certificate
Oh.. okay... sorry about that...
Then you may have to start from Delhi to get birth certificate fixed. It would take much longer, I guess... and if you take OCI with Delhi for now, then when you have the corrected birth certificate, you have to apply for the corrected CA passport and OCI card again, I think. Even if it takes longer, hope it is possible to do that.

AMR2011

Aug 20, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Dec-2011, Federal App Rec. in NS: 29-June-2015(Sent:18/6)
Doc's Request.
CSQ: 04-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ: 29-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2012; Federal AOR: 7-August 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
Med's Request
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Interview........
NIL
Passport Req..
"Medical Received": 26-02-2016; PPR: 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: 29-02-2016; Visa Issued: 3/3/2016
LANDED..........
4-Oct-2016; PR Card received: 15th Dec 2016!!!!!
Is there anyone here who is eligible for OCI, but not applying for it & instead planning to use visa? I am assuming that only those who will be traveling very less to India will opt for visa instead of OCI. Any other reason for anyone? In terms of cost comparison I think OCI cost is approx 3 times Visa cost.
Lets not compare the visa with OCI. OCI is a proof that you are of Indian Origin by birth. Visa is for Foreign nationals. If you think you have become a foreign national by just getting the Citizenship, you can very well use Visa. But you have to see India with the same intentions like how the foreigners see. I hope it is completely absurd to compare both. You can use visa if there is an absolute need of urgent travel to India in case of situations like covid when your OCI gets delayed for some reason. But as a person born in India, i hope OCI is the way to go. This is completely my view and it is not intended to hurt anyone here. Today they will give Visas, again the e-visas might stop and then what is your situation? Think about it! Your are not a foreigner who visits India for vacation to push the travel to when the e-Visas open.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Oh.. okay... sorry about that...
Then you may have to start from Delhi to get birth certificate fixed. It would take much longer, I guess... and if you take OCI with Delhi for now, then when you have the corrected birth certificate, you have to apply for the corrected CA passport and OCI card again, I think. Even if it takes longer, hope it is possible to do that.
Well your above suggestion will not work...
Municipal Corporation of Delhi(MCD) which issued the birth certificate will not change it from Delhi to New Delhi...
Birth Certificate mentions Delhi
Indian Passport mentions New Delhi
Canadian Passport mentioned Delhi
We already had that discussion with Passport Canada when we made the Passport earlier in Sep and they will only go by the Birth Certificate. We did mention that the current Indian passport and CoPR mentions Place of Birth as New Delhi, but they did not budge...
So affidavit is the only way to go.
see towards the end of the page 2 through this link: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/OCI-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf

Reactions: wink

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OCI timeline for my spouse:

Walk-in application at BLS Brampton12-NOV-2022
Date Of Acknowledgment01-DEC-2022
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn26-DEC-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn
Document received AtTORONTOOn

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
OCI timeline for my spouse:

Walk-in application at BLS Brampton12-NOV-2022
Date Of Acknowledgment01-DEC-2022
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn26-DEC-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn
Document received AtTORONTOOn
For walk-in, do you still have to submit originals of Canadian passport and citizenship certificate?

wink

May 25, 2021
Municipal Corporation of Delhi(MCD) which issued the birth certificate will not change it from Delhi to New Delhi...
We already had that discussion with Passport Canada when we made the Passport earlier in Sep and they will only go by the Birth Certificate. We did mention that the current Indian passport and CoPR mentions Place of Birth as New Delhi, but they did not budge...
see towards the end of the page 2 through this link: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/OCI-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf
Okay, thanks for that info.

wink

May 25, 2021
One question, what kind of question a notary might ask? how he would know what we are saying (i.e. it is same place effectively) is correct? wondering what it takes to convince him... May be in your case it may be okay, I think... maybe one should reach out a notary who has origin of same country so that he would understand what you are talking about? just wondering...

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
One question, what kind of question a notary might ask? how he would know what we are saying (i.e. it is same place effectively) is correct? wondering what it takes to convince him... May be in your case it may be okay, I think... maybe one should reach out a notary who has origin of same country so that he would understand what you are talking about? just wondering...
I’m planning to do this tomorrow and call a few place
@Kaurbal if you have reference of a notary here in GTA I could reach out to and get this done please do share that contact

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Were you able to get OCI with the affidavit or were there any other hiccups ?