+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi All, Has any one had to get an notarized affidavit for difference is place of birth between Indian and Canadian passport? In Indian passport I have the City name and State in brackets, but in Canadian passport I have just the State. BLS won't accept the application without the affidavit. Not sure what/where to get that. thanks
There was a similar query related to the "Place of Birth" section on the other Canadian Passport timeline thread.
Unfortunately, I believe you did a small error in your Canadian passport application. I am guessing you entered the State name instead of city name on the passport application? Or did you manually write the State name since the dropdown becomes grayed out for non-US/Canada. I am not sure if it will have any downstream impacts in the future - especially at Indian airports, most likely not.
WRT affidavit, it would be needed since your passport is missing the City. It should be really very quick. In downtown area they have boards outside several offices. Easy to find.

watson info

Mar 25, 2022
Hello All,

Just an update for all who are waiting eagerly for their OCI update

I had applied via Post to BLS Brampton on 18th Feb (Second submission as they forced me to add XXX as my last name as per Canadian Passport)
Heres my timeline

Date Of Acknowledgment01-MAR-2022
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Numberxxx
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn30-MAR-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn30-MAR-2022
Document received AtTORONTOOn30-MAR-2022
Hello Sameer KHANZ does your BLS status changed

spssg

Mar 14, 2022
Please advise at the time of submitting the OCI Application, whether the Canadian Citizenship Certificate and Canadian Passport in Originals will be returned by the BLS after verification or kept with them.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Can the spouse / children of a former Indian citizen apply for OCI?
Spouse and children did not ever hold Indian passports.
A foreign national, -
(i) who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26th January, 1950; or
(ii) who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26th January, 1950; or
(iii) who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947; or
(iv) who is a child or a grandchild or a great grandchild of such a citizen; or
(v) who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above; or
(vi) who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India - is eligible for registration as OCI cardholder.

Besides, spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application is also eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. However, no person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

https://ociservices.gov.in/

Reactions: akbardxb

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Please advise at the time of submitting the OCI Application, whether the Canadian Citizenship Certificate and Canadian Passport in Originals will be returned by the BLS after verification or kept with them.
Walkin - for sure they will return them back on the spot.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
UPDATE: Collected my SC from BLS Vancouver at 4.30 PM. I was in and out within 2 minutes. Total 10 days from walkin.
Also checked with the officer for "actual time" for OCI @ Vancouver = 2 months!

Full SC timeline below:

19 March- Submitted surrender @ Vancouver BLS via walkin
19 March - BLS Status: Surrender Application sent to CGI
20 March - Passport Portal Status: Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
24 March - BLS Status: Processing at Consulate General
24 March - Passport Portal Status: Surrender certificate has been printed
25 March - BLS Status: In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre
28 March- BLS Status: Ready for Collection
29 March - Collected SC + cancelled Passport.
What?!?!?!? They said to me within 4-6 weeks for OCI. Now they are saying 8 weeks? I submitted in Surrey BLS.

• Sad
Reactions: vvarma

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
A foreign national, -
(i) who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26th January, 1950; or
(ii) who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26th January, 1950; or
(iii) who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947; or
(iv) who is a child or a grandchild or a great grandchild of such a citizen; or
(v) who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above; or
(vi) who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India - is eligible for registration as OCI cardholder.

Besides, spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application is also eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. However, no person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

https://ociservices.gov.in/
Thanks. That's very helpful.

Want2Move2CA

Jun 29, 2015
I did not get any response on my query. Where do u see the response? When I provide email address and Captcha code all I see is my own query. When did u open up query, Mine says I open it up on today which is wrong and I don't see any kind of response. this is so frustrating. Did your status changed on BLS website?
@Hot2Cold @Want2Move2CA
When you search for the query in their website, they have it as a reply.

Reactions: richieP

Want2Move2CA

Jun 29, 2015
My Surrender Certificate application status on the BLS Site got updated after the Sampark Query.

DateStatus on BLSStatus on Passport PortalDays since applied
2022-02-26​
N/ASurrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
2022-03-01​
Processing at Consulate GeneralPassport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
4​
2022-03-10​
Processing at Consulate GeneralSurrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
13​
2022-03-14​
Processing at Consulate GeneralSurrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
17​
2022-03-18​
Processing at Consulate GeneralSurrender certificate has been printed.
21​
2022-03-31​
In Transit from Consulate General to BLS CentreSurrender certificate has been printed.
34​
Great.. I mailed the application on Feb 8th. It has been 8 weeks for me and the status still says - ready for issuance. Do you know if BLS will accept a letter instead for Entry visa application. I have booked an appointment next week thinking I would have received the certificate. Thanks

Reactions: Hot2Cold

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Great.. I mailed the application on Feb 8th. It has been 8 weeks for me and the status still says - ready for issuance. Do you know if BLS will accept a letter instead for Entry visa application. I have booked an appointment next week thinking I would have received the certificate. Thanks
Entry visa they will accept application with receipt of submission of SC and xerox of Indian passport