+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI application: XXX in Canadian Passport Given Name

jaydevadhikari

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
My wife has no surname in her Indian passport but when she got her Canadian passport they said her Given name will be in the surname field and in Given Name, it will say XXX. They even gave her a letter to explain why this is done (they have it as one of the common handouts as apparently it is quite a common occurence).

My question is, for OCI application, given that Indian passport has given name, but no last namr, and Canada has surname and XXX given name, would this cause any issues? I was thinking of just adding a letter of explanation for this along with the application but curious what anyone else in a similar situation may have done

Sehajps

Dec 21, 2023
Hi. I am in the exact same position now. Can you please tell me what have you done and did you get the oci ?

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015
Hi. I am in the exact same position now. Can you please tell me what have you done and did you get the oci ?
I'm not sure if you got an answer to this. I went to OCI office today and I was told that if your Canada Passport has XXX in your Given Name then you can simply put the same in your OCI application too. But if your Given Name is blank, then you need to get your Canada passport updated (aka Name change application for Canada Passport).