+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Work Permit

UPPI

Nov 11, 2013
Hi All,

I am an engineer employed with a reputed multinational company in Canada. I moved to Canada as a permanent resident in 2014.

A lot of my relatives/cousins think that obtaining work permit in Canada is a piece of cake. I get their phone calls so very often & they keep mentioning this. Some of them are planning to arrive in Canada on a visitor's visa then apply for work permit as soon as they land.

Is it really that easy to obtain work permit? I would really appreciate if someone could please shed some light on this matter.

Thanks

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi All,

I am an engineer employed with a reputed multinational company in Canada. I moved to Canada as a permanent resident in 2014.

A lot of my relatives/cousins think that obtaining work permit in Canada is a piece of cake. I get their phone calls so very often & they keep mentioning this. Some of them are planning to arrive in Canada on a visitor's visa then apply for work permit as soon as they land.

Is it really that easy to obtain work permit? I would really appreciate if someone could please shed some light on this matter.

Thanks
No its not easy to obtain a work permit. There are steps that needs to be taken first before applying for a work permit.

1. They will need a job offer and a Approved LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). LMIA must be applied by the employer not the applicants. LMIA costs $1000 with 4 to 6 months processing time. The employer must prove no Canadians or PR is available to fill the position offered. This is generally hard to obtain as there is about 90% refusal ratings which is why most employers don't hire foreigners outside of the country.

2. Once they obtain a approved LMIA, they can apply for a work permit.

Reactions: UPPI

UPPI

Nov 11, 2013
No its not easy to obtain a work permit. There are steps that needs to be taken first before applying for a work permit.

1. They will need a job offer and a Approved LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). LMIA must be applied by the employer not the applicants. LMIA costs $1000 with 4 to 6 months processing time. The employer must prove no Canadians or PR is available to fill the position offered. This is generally hard to obtain as there is about 90% refusal ratings which is why most employers don't hire foreigners outside of the country.

2. Once they obtain a approved LMIA, they can apply for a work permit.

Thanks a lot for replying.
I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems to be a rumour that constantly circulates. Seen many people from mostly SE Asia who are under the impression you can easily change a visitor visa to a work permit. Also lots of scams or questionable employers promising LMIA/jobs/proof showing Canadian employment in exchange for payment.