+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining TRV after denial of PRTD; please help!

aaydee

Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

In 2006, I became a PR of Canada as a dependent to my parents (I'd just turned 18 at the time). We all landed in Canada that year and got our PR/ SSN/ DL cards made and left Canada shortly thereafter.

Our circumstances changed and we didn't end up returning until 2011; obviously not having met the RO, we weren't sure if we could still maintain our PR status. We returned to our home country and got a notification for renewal of our PR cards. The PR cards expired soon thereafter, and in 2012, given that we weren't physically present in Canada, we applied for PRTDs which were denied.

My parents did not have proper counsel at the time and filed a letter appealing the denial of PRTD (contesting details of stay in Canada) with the Immigration and Refuge board for an order under section 175(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to enable us to return. They also had an immigration lawyer forward them the a copy of the appeal record, with notes filed by the CBSA in relation to the case (and notes by the visa officer at the local consulate). In that record, the officer has noted that all three of us did not meet the RO and has categorically stated, "subject to appeal, the application is no longer a Permanent Resident of Canada".

Given this information, it would be helpful if anyone could advise me on the following:

1. Currently, I'm in the US pursuing a Master's degree (on a F1 visa). I want to visit friends in Canada, and am in the process of applying for a TRV. Would there be any likelihood of the TRV getting denied, given past events? Anything I can do to make my application stronger (letters of invitation, etc.)?

2. To the best of my understanding, I am not a PR anymore (since 60 days have passed after PRTD denial, and especially due to the language used by the Visa officer). Would I have to formally renounce my PR to legally enter Canada on a TRV?

3. I'm contemplating applying for PR in the Federal Skilled Workers Program, and moving there post-graduation. Given my past failure to meet RO and unsuccessful outcome of the appeal, would there be any impact on my future application for PR under this specific category?

Thank you for reading this post, and thank you for any insights that you can offer.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

In 2006, I became a PR of Canada as a dependent to my parents (I'd just turned 18 at the time). We all landed in Canada that year and got our PR/ SSN/ DL cards made and left Canada shortly thereafter.

Our circumstances changed and we didn't end up returning until 2011; obviously not having met the RO, we weren't sure if we could still maintain our PR status. We returned to our home country and got a notification for renewal of our PR cards. The PR cards expired soon thereafter, and in 2012, given that we weren't physically present in Canada, we applied for PRTDs which were denied.

My parents did not have proper counsel at the time and filed a letter appealing the denial of PRTD (contesting details of stay in Canada) with the Immigration and Refuge board for an order under section 175(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to enable us to return. They also had an immigration lawyer forward them the a copy of the appeal record, with notes filed by the CBSA in relation to the case (and notes by the visa officer at the local consulate). In that record, the officer has noted that all three of us did not meet the RO and has categorically stated, "subject to appeal, the application is no longer a Permanent Resident of Canada".

Given this information, it would be helpful if anyone could advise me on the following:

1. Currently, I'm in the US pursuing a Master's degree (on a F1 visa). I want to visit friends in Canada, and am in the process of applying for a TRV. Would there be any likelihood of the TRV getting denied, given past events? Anything I can do to make my application stronger (letters of invitation, etc.)?

2. To the best of my understanding, I am not a PR anymore (since 60 days have passed after PRTD denial, and especially due to the language used by the Visa officer). Would I have to formally renounce my PR to legally enter Canada on a TRV?

3. I'm contemplating applying for PR in the Federal Skilled Workers Program, and moving there post-graduation. Given my past failure to meet RO and unsuccessful outcome of the appeal, would there be any impact on my future application for PR under this specific category?

Thank you for reading this post, and thank you for any insights that you can offer.
1. Given the amount of time that has passed, the previous PR status probably won't have any effect on a TRV app but no one can guarantee that.

2. You are not a PR, so nothing to renounce.

3. No, there would be no impact on a future PR app.