+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obligations after arriving as a new PR???

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
I am a new PR just arrived in Canada for about 3 months. Just would like to check if I have missed any obligations (i.e. must-do).

I have:

1. got a new SIN
2. got a provincial ID card
3. got my PR card
4. going to apply health card very soon
5. have a bank account already

In particular, do new PR have to register with local police station or any other government department? (I guess no, but this is required for other countries I have been to, so just to make sure)

Many thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
many thanks for kind help. Did I miss any other obligations (i.e. must-do)???
You physical present as Residency Obligation. You need to live in Canada for at least 730 days within your first and rolling 5 years after you landed as a PR.

Then you need to file tax in the coming tax year (depending on when you land and if you meet as a tax resident)

Reactions: TADF chemist

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a new PR just arrived in Canada for about 3 months. Just would like to check if I have missed any obligations (i.e. must-do).

I have:

1. got a new SIN
3. got my PR card

In particular, do new PR have to register with local police station or any other government department? (I guess no, but this is required for other countries I have been to, so just to make sure)

Many thanks
You need to meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in your province. It varies by province. Have to Canada permanently and settled in a specific province to apply for a health card. If you have moved permanently to a province and plan on meeting the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in that province you can apply right away.

Reactions: YVR123

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
You need to meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in your province. It varies by province. Have to Canada permanently and settled in a specific province to apply for a health card. If you have moved permanently to a province and plan on meeting the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in that province you can apply right away.
Agreed. I would make that advice stronger by saying that OP SHOULD apply for provincial health coverage ASAP if eligible. You never know when you might need it and even if you have some kind of insurance, it's not guaranteed like provincial health coverage is.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023

I have:

1. got a new SIN
3. got my PR card

Many thanks
I would say getting a credit card should be high on your list of priorities, provided that you can be responsible with credit. Building up a credit profile and score is almost essential.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Agreed. I would make that advice stronger by saying that OP SHOULD apply for provincial health coverage ASAP if eligible. You never know when you might need it and even if you have some kind of insurance, it's not guaranteed like provincial health coverage is.
As far as I know, at least for my current province, the eligibility requirement is that you are committed to live in the province long term, then you can go for a health card. This means you can get a health card after just arrived in Canada, if you really wanna settle in that province.

Luckily, I am that kind of person who rarely gets sick, like once per year or once every two years.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
I would say getting a credit card should be high on your list of priorities, provided that you can be responsible with credit. Building up a credit profile and score is almost essential.
True, a good suggestion.

I have actually lived in Canada before getting my PR. I have been using CIBC. I am not sure if their credit score online tool is good or not. I am little over 800. And I have no credit card yet.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
As far as I know, at least for my current province, the eligibility requirement is that you are committed to live in the province long term, then you can go for a health card. This means you can get a health card after just arrived in Canada, if you really wanna settle in that province.

Luckily, I am that kind of person who rarely gets sick, like once per year or once every two years.
In Ontario, there used to be a three month wait period for new immigrants. That was scrapped during COVID and has not been reinstated yet. In this case, getting proof of address (utility bill or bank statement among others) is usually the bottleneck.

It's great that you don't get sick often, but god forbid say you get into an accident. Unless you are planning to leave the province soon you should apply for health coverage immediately.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
True, a good suggestion.

I have actually lived in Canada before getting my PR. I have been using CIBC. I am not sure if their credit score online tool is good or not. I am little over 800. And I have no credit card yet.
You can check your TransUnion and Equifax reports for free either directly with them or through free apps (Credit Karma and Borrowell). It's a good idea to keep an eye on your credit report to catch anything fishy early before it becomes a much bigger problem.

For the score itself, you'll get by fine over 600. From 700 and up there is virtually no difference other than maybe a bit of buffer in case of a dip.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
You can check your TransUnion and Equifax reports for free either directly with them or through free apps (Credit Karma and Borrowell). It's a good idea to keep an eye on your credit report to catch anything fishy early before it becomes a much bigger problem.

For the score itself, you'll get by fine over 600. From 700 and up there is virtually no difference other than maybe a bit of buffer in case of a dip.
If I remember correctly, the CIBC online credit score tool is collaboration with TransUnion.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
If I remember correctly, the CIBC online credit score tool is collaboration with TransUnion.
I don't know but if it is, that's a handy way to keep an eye on your score.

Even then, you probably don't have access to the details you would see by seeing your credit reports. For example, in case of identity theft, you would see an unusual credit inquiry that could indicate someone is trying to fraudently open accounts in your name.

I suggest you take a look at both your TransUnion and Equifax reports at least once or twice a year.