+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath, passport. Dropping middle name

Alex23

Feb 25, 2014
I have a question. In my home country passport I don't have a middle name. The name is (as an example) first name: Alex, Last name: Smith. But in my driver's licence and health card there is a middle name (it was too long so everywhere is a short version something like: Middle name: Emmanue (last letter is missing).

I will have my oath this Wednesday. Everywhere in Canadian citizenship papers they send me my name appears: Alex Emmanue Smith (But when I was applying for citizenship I didn't put my middle name and they were fine with it).
If on my certificate I will have this version can I drop the middle name right there on the ceremony? Or when applying for passport just don't put it in the application?

Looks like there has to be no problem
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

You may ask for your given name to be slightly different on your passport or travel document by doing the following:

• dropping given names
  • reversing given names
Anyone expierenced something similar?
Thanks for the answers.

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you have to change name legally (1 month)
request for a new citizenship certificate (5 months)
Apply for passport

I decided it's not worth it.

Alex23

Feb 25, 2014
you have to change name legally (1 month)
request for a new citizenship certificate (5 months)
Apply for passport

I decided it's not worth it.
Got my certificate with a middle name. And they said that they can't drop it. The only hope is when I'll apply for the passport I ask them to drop the middle name as cic says:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

You may ask for your given name to be slightly different on your passport or travel document by doing the following:

• dropping given names
  • reversing given names

Alex23

Feb 25, 2014
For a passport issued using the adult general passport application:
the name is normally the same as that appearing on the proof of Canadian citizenship (certificate of birth in Canada or certificate of Canadian citizenship).

you may request that not all your given names be used in your passport, or that names be inverted, as long as your supporting identity document contains the name you would like to appear. In addition, the names listed on identity documents must be identical to the ones you want in your passport, and in the same order.

Can I use my home country passport as a supporting identity document? If not can I use a donor card or a credit card?
I already bought a ticket and I didn't put my middle name. Could it possibly cause problems if my canadian passport will have a middle name?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Talk to the passport officer when you apply for the passport.
They can tell you what is possible and what's not.

aalnaar

Jan 12, 2016
Just letting you guys know. It didn't work and I will have the middle name in my passport :(
That is odd, I just went and got all 3 middles names after my first given name removed from my first Canadian passport application, since I have a driver's license that didn't use them. So although my Canadian Citizenship certificate had all my given names as per my country's passport - the Passport Canada officer offered to just use my first and last name on the passport application!

light777

Jan 23, 2021
Got my certificate with a middle name. And they said that they can't drop it. The only hope is when I'll apply for the passport I ask them to drop the middle name as cic says:

• dropping given names
  • reversing given names
Hi

I am wondering if you can be able to drop your middlename while applying for the passport?

light777

Jan 23, 2021
That is odd, I just went and got all 3 middles names after my first given name removed from my first Canadian passport application, since I have a driver's license that didn't use them. So although my Canadian Citizenship certificate had all my given names as per my country's passport - the Passport Canada officer offered to just use my first and last name on the passport application!
How to contacted passport officer? Where should i request for similar request. Thank you for your help in advance.