+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Letter Never Received

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Person I know has the citizenship oath scheduled tomorrow. 11 days notice in ECAS. ECAS says physical oath letter was sent out 13 calendar days before oath date, including a long weekend. The physical oath letter never arrived. Call centre claims to show up anyway, you don't really need it and that this happens all the time.

Really, this happens "all the time"? Isn't that a problem?

Anyway, someone tell me that its gonna be alright tomorrow. It will be OK won't it?

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Person I know has the citizenship oath scheduled tomorrow. 11 days notice in ECAS. ECAS says physical oath letter was sent out 13 calendar days before oath date, including a long weekend. The physical oath letter never arrived. Call centre claims to show up anyway, you don't really need it and that this happens all the time.

Anyway, someone tell me that its gonna be alright tomorrow. It will be OK won't it?
If call center says it is ok, then that person should say so at Oath.. and stat the call date, time and agent name if recorded.
Both ways he should go there with all the needed IDs and the original COPR as much as an ecas printout would be good

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks,

Fingers crossed. It is still a mystery to me why they are giving such short notice these days.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The person should still show up tomorrow and early too, so as to discuss the issue with an officer. As long as they are on the list, they should be able to take the oath. Your friend should go with:
a) passports (expired and current)
b) 2 pieces of ID (e.g. drivers licence, provincial ID card)
c) may be print a copy of their ecas status (since they don't have the oath letter)
d) original confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) or landing document
e) PR card (CIC will take the card since he/she is becoming a citizen)

Congrats to your friend!

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
My building gets mail for other buildings all the time. I don't trust Canada Post to deliver as well as they should...

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
OK, it all went well today. My acquaintance is now a Canadian. Hooray! It was a long road.

However, one family didn't show up for their oath. CIC made an announcement before the oath, asking them to come to the front to sign their paperwork, but they didn't appear. I wonder if they never got their letter and weren't checking ECAS religiously?

CIC really needs to do a better job of giving notice for things. Everyone should be aware that if you think your test or oath date is getting close--you need to check ECAS regularly, because there is no guarantee you will get your letter in time.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
links18 said:
OK, it all went well today. My acquaintance is now a Canadian. Hooray! It was a long road.

However, one family didn't show up for their oath. CIC made an announcement before the oath, asking them to come to the front to sign their paperwork, but they didn't appear. I wonder if they never got their letter and weren't checking ECAS religiously?

CIC really needs to do a better job of giving notice for things. Everyone should be aware that if you think your test or oath date is getting close--you need to check ECAS regularly, because there is no guarantee you will get your letter in time.
+1 for you for sharing this useful info 1

latitudeofgratitude

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Peel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:

CIC really needs to do a better job of giving notice for things.
SMH That poor family, lets hope thats not the case, Since God know's that CIC will probably let them wait a long time again before getting another notification to take their oath of Citizenship

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
links18 said:

Hi
How often they update ECAS. On their web site it says they update it every tuesday but I read in this forum that they sometimes update even on Saturdays. Which one is correct ? and is it possible that invitation may get lost in mail and ECAS is not updated ?
that would be a disaster

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
montrealer69 said:
Hi
How often they update ECAS. On their web site it says they update it every tuesday but I read in this forum that they sometimes update even on Saturdays. Which one is correct ? and is it possible that invitation may get lost in mail and ECAS is not updated ?
that would be a disaster
Yeah, the Tuesday update statement is clearly not always true as I know that in the case I am familiar with it was updated on a Saturday for the test and a Friday for the oath. I suppose it is possible that they sometimes fail to update ECAS also, but there really isn't anything you can do about that.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Yeah, the Tuesday update statement is clearly not always true as I know that in the case I am familiar with it was updated on a Saturday for the test and a Friday for the oath. I suppose it is possible that they sometimes fail to update ECAS also, but there really isn't anything you can do about that.
Most likely it is a scheduled task that synchronizes the GMCS and Ecas (Security and load factors), given that the ecas gets slow on queries responses between 8:30 AM and 12 noon EST, I'd bet the database gets updated during this time-frame daily... including Saturdays for the Friday entered data in GMCS, etc..
Unless the central data is exposed thru an API/Interface with direct access from CIC code.. which is less likely for government solutions.. again to reduce threats of direct DB access and compromise..