+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath date in scarborough - need help

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Hey guys,
A little frustrated here... could use your advice or help.
Both me and my wife passed our test back on May 2014, we both passed 20/20.
Had a short interview where the officer asked about our travels, they could not locate my wife's records since they accidently opened 2 files for here.
She sorted it out on the spot, and went on to look at my travel records - I travel a lot for work. 1 day conferences usually in the US.
She made another copy of all our passport pages saying she needs them and they were missing from our application (Although we did send them).

She went date by date and confirmed them, and said it all looks ok but since there are a lot she will finish going over them by end of day.

3 months later, end of July, we get a letter from a different officer saying he needs all our passport pages copied, as well as travel records from the US border.

I provided all that in a letter, and it seems some travel records are missing from the US border report.
On other cases, some travel records that I reported are not stamped in my passport (missing US stamp, Canada stamp, or sometimes both).

I'm afraid that is what holding us up - so I attached a document explaining each date and saying if it is missing from my passport or from the US border records.
I don't have my Canadian border records, but I won't be surprised if stuff is missing there as well at this point.

Anyway, since then we have heard nothing. The online status doesn't even say we had our test yet - it just says our application was received.

Calling them on the phone is no use. They say they can't look into it before 3 years pass. 3 years!

I'm just lost here, I have no idea what to do or who can I contact about this. Just to see what's the status of our application at least, talk to the person who is handling it, anything would be better.
Right now we have no idea what's going on, no one updates us.

We are waiting since May with no news at all.

Do you guys have any advice on what can we do, or what should we expect as waiting time?
Is there a chance for them to reject our application because of that? I have no control over stamps on my passport or US border records, I can explain as best I can but there is nothing more I can do, is there?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and congrats to all the new citizens!

ronin21

Jul 17, 2014
Short answer to your question is no
they will not reject your case only because of missing some stamps which is normal and they know that. Instead, they're looking for more evidences to verify the number and period of your trips as you provided with your application. CBSA report usually does not miss the dates as far as I know, I got one for myself 2 years ago and it was accurate although I've seen few reports that they have missed dates but overall I think CBSA is fairly accurate, the problem with CBSA now is you cannot apply yourself anymore when they started flooding everyone with RQ cases 2 years ago, CBSA office was bombarded by requests like myself and at some point they stopped this and decided to go through CIC itself. So there is a good chance that CIC has requested your CBSA report on your behalf.

With regards to timing (3 years), do not pay attention to call center agents, they just tell you what they have as a template. It is a good sign that they asked you for passport pages and records, means someone is looking at your file and July was not very far from now (at least for CIC), as far as I understood you were not given RQ and that's another good sign for you so far.
Finally, you can apply online for ATIP report to see the notes on your file, it's free and will take 30 days to receive. It could have potentially some useful information with regards to your file.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spetel said:
Hey guys,
A little frustrated here... could use your advice or help.
Both me and my wife passed our test back on May 2014, we both passed 20/20.
Had a short interview where the officer asked about our travels, they could not locate my wife's records since they accidently opened 2 files for here.
She sorted it out on the spot, and went on to look at my travel records - I travel a lot for work. 1 day conferences usually in the US.
She made another copy of all our passport pages saying she needs them and they were missing from our application (Although we did send them).

She went date by date and confirmed them, and said it all looks ok but since there are a lot she will finish going over them by end of day.

3 months later, end of July, we get a letter from a different officer saying he needs all our passport pages copied, as well as travel records from the US border.

I provided all that in a letter, and it seems some travel records are missing from the US border report.
On other cases, some travel records that I reported are not stamped in my passport (missing US stamp, Canada stamp, or sometimes both).

I'm afraid that is what holding us up - so I attached a document explaining each date and saying if it is missing from my passport or from the US border records.
I don't have my Canadian border records, but I won't be surprised if stuff is missing there as well at this point.

Anyway, since then we have heard nothing. The online status doesn't even say we had our test yet - it just says our application was received.

Calling them on the phone is no use. They say they can't look into it before 3 years pass. 3 years!

I'm just lost here, I have no idea what to do or who can I contact about this. Just to see what's the status of our application at least, talk to the person who is handling it, anything would be better.
Right now we have no idea what's going on, no one updates us.

We are waiting since May with no news at all.

Do you guys have any advice on what can we do, or what should we expect as waiting time?
Is there a chance for them to reject our application because of that? I have no control over stamps on my passport or US border records, I can explain as best I can but there is nothing more I can do, is there?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and congrats to all the new citizens!
How about you ask for your ATIP?
Good luck

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys, thanks for the very quick response.

So, you think since may/july it is not unreasonable to wait until now? When do you think I should get worried?

Also, what is AITP and how/who do I ask it from? The call centre? Or online?

Thanks

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Found it on google... Can't post the link...

Anyone here know what is my expected time in this case? Are we talking months or weeks?

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Same location? In Scarborough?

Very strange... many people here reported on that location that they got the ceremony within 1-2 weeks...

I'm sad I'm not alone, don't know about you but we are very close to a nervous breakdown here...

I submitted the request for information (ATIP) just now online. It is free, perhaps you should do the same - just google "ATIP CIC"

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I took test in Jan this year. Got RQ after few months because of missing stamps.

spetel said:
Same location? In Scarborough?

Very strange... many people here reported on that location that they got the ceremony within 1-2 weeks...

I'm sad I'm not alone, don't know about you but we are very close to a nervous breakdown here...

I submitted the request for information (ATIP) just now online. It is free, perhaps you should do the same - just google "ATIP CIC"

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
vinaypuri said:
I took test in Jan this year. Got RQ after few months because of missing stamps.
What? You've been waiting for ceremony since January???

OMG, I hope that doesn't mean I have to wait 10 months. Please update here if you have had any updates, I'd love to know how long it took you to get your letter...

Did you try to ask for ATIP / asking your MP to contact them? What news did that give you?

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, I did ATIP. It says CIC is not able to validate my entries.

MP office had advised that CIC Scarborough will take 12 to 18 Months to review my RQ. I have a feeling by next year once 4 out of 6 years rule take affect, work load on CIC staff will reduce drastically for a year. So they will be able to nail all the backlog items. So between July to Sept Next year, we all should have oaths in worst case.

I know its kind a frustrating but nothing much we can do. To me it does not bother much if I am citizen or PR. I frequently business travel to North America for business and vacation in Caribbean :)

spetel said:
What? You've been waiting for ceremony since January???

OMG, I hope that doesn't mean I have to wait 10 months. Please update here if you have had any updates, I'd love to know how long it took you to get your letter...

Did you try to ask for ATIP / asking your MP to contact them? What news did that give you?

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
The real issue is having to renew our other passport and renew our PR cards.
The application to renew the PR card seems almost as long as filing for a new PR and takes months.

but, like you said, nothing much we can do.

What is the 4 out of 6 rule you mentioned? how will it affect us?

vinaypuri said:
Yep, I did ATIP. It says CIC is not able to validate my entries.

MP office had advised that CIC Scarborough will take 12 to 18 Months to review my RQ. I have a feeling by next year once 4 out of 6 years rule take affect, work load on CIC staff will reduce drastically for a year. So they will be able to nail all the backlog items. So between July to Sept Next year, we all should have oaths in worst case.

I know its kind a frustrating but nothing much we can do. To me it does not bother much if I am citizen or PR. I frequently business travel to North America for business and vacation in Caribbean :)

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship law is changed with a Bill C24. Under which now PRs will have to reside 4 years instead of 3. That will take affect on all the applications submitted after June 2015. Once that takes affect, number of new applicants will go down and all old-complicated cases will be resolved.

spetel said:
The real issue is having to renew our other passport and renew our PR cards.
The application to renew the PR card seems almost as long as filing for a new PR and takes months.

but, like you said, nothing much we can do.

What is the 4 out of 6 rule you mentioned? how will it affect us?

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Hey,
Got this response from my MP office:
"the officer logged information being received on November 19, 2014 and the file was then referred to a judge for decision"

Is this good news, or bad news?

This is after we passed the test and were asked for more documentation back in July.

Anyone knows how long should it take for a judge decision?

Needless to say, online status still shows we didn't even pass our test, last update on may...

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my case, my file was signed off by officer but held by Judge. Since stamps were missing Judge requested RQ.

Now in your case, if you do not receive RQ, you will be good and you may receive oath in next few weeks. But if they find things not clear, they will issue you RQ and ugly wait time starts.

spetel said:
Hey,
"the officer logged information being received on November 19, 2014 and the file was then referred to a judge for decision"

This is after we passed the test and were asked for more documentation back in July.

Needless to say, online status still shows we didn't even pass our test, last update on may...

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spetel said:
Hey,

Congratulations! It is a good news. The judge will approve your application and your oath will be scheduled.
Takes 2-4 months to get the brown envelope and take your oath ceremony.
Cheers,