+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath ceremony cancelled, P.R card got expired

Stephany.1

Mar 21, 2020
Hi Everyone! My citizenship oath ceremony was cancelled mid March due to COVID-19. Now my P.R card is expired. What am I supposed to do in this situation? Can anyone relate to this? I did not applyfor renewal as I thought it will be an additional expense as I am about to be citizen. TIA!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Everyone! My citizenship oath ceremony was cancelled mid March due to COVID-19. Now my P.R card is expired. What am I supposed to do in this situation? Can anyone relate to this? I did not applyfor renewal as I thought it will be an additional expense as I am about to be citizen. TIA!
1. IF you don't intend to travel in the near future, you won't need a PR card. So you have a choice, if you think you may need to travel, then apply for a renewal, but with the slow down in Card production, your new Card and your Oath may arrive about the same time.

Reactions: Stephany.1

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah, the PR card has nothing to do with your status. You can happily live in Canada for the rest of your life with an expired PR card.

As @PMM said, you only need the card if you're planning to travel soon. If you aren't, then all you need to do it wait for your oath ceremony to be rescheduled.

Reactions: Stephany.1