Oath ceremony and travel out of the country

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all
i am a november 2014 applicant ( edmonton office) ,i passed the test on july 15 and been waiting for oath ceremony ever since .
i have already bought my ticket (19 october) getting ready for a 1 month travel to home country .
i am seeking some advices as to when should i inform cic about my travel so that they may reschedule my ceremony .i am hesitating to call for there are several ceremonies schedulded in edmonton on october but did not get any invitation .
any advice will be much appreciated
thanks in advance.

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
abdul560 said:
anyone had to leave the county while waiting for oath ?
any feedback ?
[/quote

One of my friends had the same issue. She got the oath invite when she was out of the country. She came back and send a letter to the CIC office, stating the purpose of the visit (to attend a wedding) along with copies of the boarding passes. Her oath was initially scheduled for August 7th or 8th. But now she has got another invite for October 19th. So no issues. Just call them up and inform them in advance of your travel.

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abemats2000 said:
abdul560 said:
anyone had to leave the county while waiting for oath ?
any feedback ?
[/quote

One of my friends had the same issue. She got the oath invite when she was out of the country. She came back and send a letter to the CIC office, stating the purpose of the visit (to attend a wedding) along with copies of the boarding passes. Her oath was initially scheduled for August 7th or 8th. But now she has got another invite for October 19th. So no issues. Just call them up and inform them in advance of your travel.

thanks alot for the feedback

ahmadmani

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called CIC and informed them of my travel date and they left a note in my application. This way I asked them not to send me any letter for that period.

Please note that I am not sure if this had negative impact on my application or not. I just tried to be honest with CIC and kept all my boarding pass, etc just in case CIC requests them after my travel.

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadmani said:
I called CIC and informed them of my travel date and they left a note in my application. This way I asked them not to send me any letter for that period.

Please note that I am not sure if this had negative impact on my application or not. I just tried to be honest with CIC and kept all my boarding pass, etc just in case CIC requests them after my travel.
thanks for the advice , this is exactly what i am going to do .

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alright guys the senario i was trying to escape from is hapenning now :mad:.
my flight is booked for October 19th ,i called cic call center today to let them know that i can not attend ceremony after 19th October and guess what the agent told me that an invitation has been mailed to me today for an oath ceremony being scheduled for October 20th. ???
I am at acrossroads now and i dunno what is the best thing to do wheather to change date travel and pay 400$ penalty or go head and send cic a letter explaining reason why i cannot attend the ceremony .
please help with your valuable advices.

colocho13

Star Member
Jan 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
16-09-2015
Med's Done....
22-05-2015
abdul560 said:
my flight is booked for October 19th ,i called cic call center today to let them know that i can not attend ceremony after 19th October and guess what the agent told me that an invitation has been mailed to me today for an oath ceremony being scheduled for October 20th. ???
I am at acrossroads now and i dunno what is the best thing to do wheather to change date travel and pay 400$ penalty or go head and send cic a letter explaining reason why i cannot attend the ceremony .
I would change my travel plans and attend the ceremony .. get it done and over with and then you can travel freely without much concerns because the new date might be far from the current one

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
Same thing happened to me for the test. I postponed my ticket (and kids too) until the day after the test. In hindsight I'm glad I did it, though.

VAtoCA

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
Note that they will take your PR card once you take the oath. If I were you I'll change the oath date since you already bought the ticket.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
In my opinion You should take oath. I was also waiting for oath & now Iam out of country for this I paid CAD400 extra just to avoid penalty in case of flight cancel or come back early for oath. Regards

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aspat said:
Same thing happened to me for the test. I postponed my ticket (and kids too) until the day after the test. In hindsight I'm glad I did it, though.
if it was for the test i could have done the same but this is for the oath it means i cannot travel after oath as they will take my permanant resdience card .

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VAtoCA said:
Note that they will take your PR card once you take the oath. If I were you I'll change the oath date since you already bought the ticket.
thank you so much for this advice i must confess you are absolutely right and i have totally forgot about this

cybervjs

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdul560 said:
thank you so much for this advice i must confess you are absolutely right and i have totally forgot about this
After oath u don't need PR card as right after 48 hours of oath u r eligible to get passport and some areas thats same day service but choice is yours

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cybervjs said:
After oath u don't need PR card as right after 48 hours of oath u r eligible to get passport and some areas thats same day service but choice is yours

i know but i have plans and arrangements and can't delay my travel even for couple days to get the passport .
thanks for your response though :)