+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Ceremony and Passport

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
Hello,

On January 17, I went for my Citizenship Interview and Test (which I passed) and the decision was made shortly after. I am currently waiting for my Oath Ceremony invite.
  1. If I've received all correspondence by email (AOR, Test invite, ... etc.) does that mean I will also receive the Oath invite by email as well? I've seen some 2-year old posts saying the correspondences were mixed mail and email, but it's been exclusively by email in my case.

2. Once I go to the Oath ceremony and sign the Oath form and receive the Citizenship certificate, do I then have to apply for the Citizenship card and the passport?
Thank you

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hello,

On January 17, I went for my Citizenship Interview and Test (which I passed) and the decision was made shortly after. I am currently waiting for my Oath Ceremony invite.
  1. If I've received all correspondence by email (AOR, Test invite, ... etc.) does that mean I will also receive the Oath invite by email as well? I've seen some 2-year old posts saying the correspondences were mixed mail and email, but it's been exclusively by email in my case.

2. Once I go to the Oath ceremony and sign the Oath form and receive the Citizenship certificate, do I then have to apply for the Citizenship card and the passport?
Thank you

1. Yes, the invite would be in an email and usually it would take any where from 1 day to 3 months.
2. Once you have citizenship certificate, then it is up to you to apply for passport when you need it. It is not mandatory to apply immediately. Only when you need it for Travel. But it is better to have one ready. :)

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
Hello,

Thank you
Email oath invite is Not necessarily true. It looks probable in your case but some people have recently gotten an invite via postal mail. Please check your ECAS online to be certain of your oath date and follow up accordingly. It might be in your spam folder or take longer to reach you. Always Be Prepared !

They no longer issue Citizenship Cards. Your Citizenship Certificate will suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc94 and canvisa13

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
Email oath invite is Not necessarily true. It looks probable in your case but some people have recently gotten an invite via postal mail. Please check your ECAS online to be certain of your oath date and follow up accordingly. It might be in your spam folder or take longer to reach you. Always Be Prepared !

They no longer issue Citizenship Cards. Your Citizenship Certificate will suffice.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just checking the passport requirements, and so far they seem tedious (specifically the whole "Guarantor" bullet point).

jc94

Mar 14, 2016

This. Myself and several people all seemingly from Scarborough office (well that thread) got it via post despite the rest as email and being told it had been emailed! Check ECAS weekly.

Thanks for the clarification. I was just checking the passport requirements, and so far they seem tedious (specifically the whole "Guarantor" bullet point).
It is a pain to fill in for sure, having someone write on the photo especially but at the end of the day only three pages. And unlike a PR renew no travel history and can last 10 years.

And unlike my country of origin one anyway the person signing the photo does not have to be a special person whom in many cases would charge a fee. Here they only have to be a citizen who knows you etc really!

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
I am about to do my test soon at the same time I want to travel to my home country before taking the Oath, so can I request the Officer to call me for oath only after six months or how can I postpone my Oath I need suggestions.

JPBless

May 14, 2018
I am about to do my test soon at the same time I want to travel to my home country before taking the Oath, so can I request the Officer to call me for oath only after six months or how can I postpone my Oath I need suggestions.
Even before your test/interview send WEB FORM informing them of your plan to travel outside Canada. Indicating the departure and return dates and request that no oath be scheduled for you within that period. Then bring up the matter and discuss it with the officer during your interview.

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
Student Visa in 2011 for Postgraduate at Niagara Ontario
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017

It depends on the location. I’m in Calgary and I got mine through email yesterday ( oath ceremony) and my ECAS online not yet updated.

MainHunNa

Jan 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18th of December 2014 & Received in CHC-ISB on 22-12-14
VISA ISSUED...
Visa issued in London on 16th of Dec. 2014 & PP received on 6th Feb. 2015
I had citizenship test on 21st of December 2019, then I got email for oath that is on 21st of Feb. 2020.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
am i the only one thinking that webform is a way of communication from last century?
Webforms aren't that bad and common place across almost every website. While 'live chat' is becoming more popular I don't feel that would work for IRCC.

Fax is from last century and still used, same with direct emails.

A web form allows IRCC to direct it to the best department and they do reply within 5 days. It's certainly less stressful and time consuming than calling them up, assuming you can wait :)

It depends on the location. I’m in Calgary and I got mine through email yesterday ( oath ceremony) and my ECAS online not yet updated.
ECAS normally takes a few days to update. If things are sent via post you'll see ECAS first if you check regularly, if via email expect it to take another two days. In my case I've also noticed the date in ECAS doesn't always match the date in the email attachment ;)