+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oakville 1bd apartment - rent price, utilities cost, housing tips

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
Hi,

I and my girlfriend are coming to Canada in October. I have the job offer and will start working right away. We have booked an Airbnb apartment for one month. Our plan is to stay in this temporary house meanwhile looking for a permanent solution.

We are looking for a one-bedroom apartment (possibly basement) near Oakville where I will work. Here are several questions:
  1. Is it a realistic expectation to find an apartment in one month?
  2. What is the average rent price in Oakville/Mississauga/Milton/Burlington area? Can I expect to find a one-bedroom apartment for ~1300CAD including utilities?
  3. What is the average bill for hydro (water+electricity), gas, internet for a family of two?
  4. I have seen that the most apartments/condos are unfurnished, is it easy to find second-hand furniture?
  5. Despite having the job offer, can the fact that I don't have a credit history complicate the process of finding accommodation?
  6. What are the best agencies/websites where I can look for an apartment? (I used Trovit, RedMapper, Rentseeker, Kijiji)
  7. Any other housing tips or advice are highly welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Beware of scams! Many people claimed themselves as landlords or authorized agent, but in fact they are not.

Reactions: kiwissima

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
Beware of scams! Many people claimed themselves as landlords or authorized agent, but in fact they are not.
Thanks for the heads-up! Any advice on how to avoid them or any "trusted" websites/agents where it is better to look for an apartment?
And do you know the average rental price for a 1-bedroom apartment (even basement) in the area around Toronto (ex. Oakville/Mississauga/Milton/Burlington)?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the heads-up! Any advice on how to avoid them or any "trusted" websites/agents where it is better to look for an apartment?
And do you know the average rental price for a 1-bedroom apartment (even basement) in the area around Toronto (ex. Oakville/Mississauga/Milton/Burlington)?
I live in BC, so I have idea about GTA. heard lots of scam in Kiiji.ca.

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
Hey guys, anyone living in the area around Toronto (Oakville/Mississauga/Milton/Burlington) that can tell me what rental price to expect of a 1-bedroom basement apartment including utilities?