+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NYIT Vancouver Fall 2021 [MS Cybersecurity]

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I have 14 years of gap from my last degree (Bachelors in Electronics & Comm). I have started working after my Bachelors. Have 13 yrs exp in IT field. I have applied to the below universities for Fall 2021.

1. NYIT - BC - MS in Cyber security - (Received offer)
2. St. FX Xavier, Nova Scotia - MS in Computer Science (expecting offer in 1-2 weeks)
3. Ontario Tech University - MS in Comp. Science
4. Red river college Manitoba - PG.Dip in Information Security (Received offer, didn't accept)
5. University of Victoria - MS in Telecom and Info security. (But they will communicate by end of June only so it is a risk not to accept other offers)

Q1. Between NYIT and St.FX which one would be a better option considering visa approval (and PR in long run)??
NYIT has direct PR option under BC PNP, but has a bad reputation and high fees.
St. FX is a bit remote, relatively less job opportunities, but a public university, affordable fees, less course duration with internship and good reputation.
(not sure about the chances of PNP in NS/how fast it will be)

Q2. Is an SOP recommended for my profile when I apply for SP under SDS stream. (It is not a mandatory doc as per CIC website)?

Any inputs will be helpful.

Thanks.
1. St FX
2. Yes include an SOP

Reactions: EmJ_BLR

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Interesting! Another "collage" in Vancouver that I've never heard about. Isn't it strange to name a collage "New York" when it's in Vancouver?
Anyway, sounds like it's really easy to get into.

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
1. St FX
2. Yes include an SOP
Hi @canuck78 ,
I have a query about changing DLI.
Current status
I have submitted my SP application under SDS on April 30th for MS in cyber security at NYIT. Done upfront medical also, (however, the same is not updated in my account). Application status is showing In Progress. Couldn't give biometrics due to Covid-19 situation in India. (but have time till July 30 as per my BIL).
1. I just now received offer from University of Victoria for MEng. in Telecom and Info Security(MTIS). I would like to change the DLI now. But my concern is.. in the SOP, I have mentioned the reason for choosing NYIT and this particular course etc., Will changing the DLI be somehow contradicting what I have mentioned in SOP. (I know that changing DLI may be a common situation, but just asking)
2. What is the process to change DLI while the SP is still in progress? (Info is available in CIC website for those who already got their SP approved, but no mention about the process when application is under processing.)
3. should I wait till the SP gets processed and then change DLI, or Change it now itself? I am not sure if they even started reviewing my submitted application as I am yet to give biometrics. or should I cancel this application and submit a new one with new LOA and SOP.

Thanks in advance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi @canuck78 ,
I have a query about changing DLI.
Current status
I have submitted my SP application under SDS on April 30th for MS in cyber security at NYIT. Done upfront medical also, (however, the same is not updated in my account). Application status is showing In Progress. Couldn't give biometrics due to Covid-19 situation in India. (but have time till July 30 as per my BIL).
1. I just now received offer from University of Victoria for MEng. in Telecom and Info Security(MTIS). I would like to change the DLI now. But my concern is.. in the SOP, I have mentioned the reason for choosing NYIT and this particular course etc., Will changing the DLI be somehow contradicting what I have mentioned in SOP. (I know that changing DLI may be a common situation, but just asking)
2. What is the process to change DLI while the SP is still in progress? (Info is available in CIC website for those who already got their SP approved, but no mention about the process when application is under processing.)
3. should I wait till the SP gets processed and then change DLI, or Change it now itself? I am not sure if they even started reviewing my submitted application as I am yet to give biometrics. or should I cancel this application and submit a new one with new LOA and SOP.

Thanks in advance.
Will wait for others to answer the questions about your SOP. But U Vic is a much better choice of school.

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
Will wait for others to answer the questions about your SOP. But U Vic is a much better choice of school.
Thanks @YVR123 for the reply,
I too had my doubts on NYIT when I applied. But NYIT cyber security program is not bad is what I heard from ex students there. Though it may not be as reputed/popular compared to the other public unis. But yeah, it is private and need to pay the fee in USD.
But from UVic, I got provisional offer now. Need to send official transcript of my bachelors degree. By the time Uvic send me the final /unconditional LOA, I fear it will be late..not sure if updating DLI through webform with provisional offer is a good idea

nsau

Feb 26, 2021
Does anyone knows what are class timings for MSc Cybersecurity, for example in evening or morning or whole day?

Amy Paul

Star Member
May 29, 2021
Hello, I had to defer my admission to Summer 2022 intake due to COVID. How about you?
It’s a tough one for me. My program is being discontinued for future intakes so no deferment to MS-IT is possible. They saying we can opt for MBA. Already having shared about e-learning in my sop, not sure how I’ll justify an mba this time. So just praying that I get a ppr before 4th Feb (last date of deferral or requesting for a refund).

narikkumar

Mar 23, 2021
It’s a tough one for me. My program is being discontinued for future intakes so no deferment to MS-IT is possible. They saying we can opt for MBA. Already having shared about e-learning in my sop, not sure how I’ll justify an mba this time. So just praying that I get a ppr before 4th Feb (last date of deferral or requesting for a refund).
Sorry to hear that !! You mentioned MS-IT, are you talking about MS- Cyber Security or something else? I am also planning to defer to Sep 2022 intake due to new Omricon varient.

Amy Paul

Star Member
May 29, 2021
Sorry to hear that !! You mentioned MS-IT, are you talking about MS- Cyber Security or something else? I am also planning to defer to Sep 2022 intake due to new Omricon varient.
I’m sorry, I should share the full form. It’s Master of Science in Instructional Technology.