+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Number of days between becoming a PR and signing the application

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
I am currently filling out the CIT407e application to calculate my physical presence in Canada, and one of the questions reads:

Calculate the total number of days between Box D (the date you became a PR) and Box A (the date you will sign your application).
Enter this number in Box E.
The maximum number of days you can enter in Box E is 1827.

The problem is that I became a PR more than 10 years ago, but didn't apply for a citizenship in the first 5 years (I left the country for far too many days to feel comfortable applying). This means that the duration between the two dates is going to be around 4,000 days, yet the question states that the maximum number of days I can enter is a mere 1,827. What do I put in here exactly?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am currently filling out the CIT407e application to calculate my physical presence in Canada, and one of the questions reads:

Calculate the total number of days between Box D (the date you became a PR) and Box A (the date you will sign your application).

The problem is that I became a PR more than 10 years ago, but didn't apply for a citizenship in the first 5 years (I left the country for far too many days to feel comfortable applying). This means that the duration between the two dates is going to be around 4,000 days, yet the question states that the maximum number of days I can enter is a mere 1,827. What do I put in here exactly?
As they said that 1827 is the maximum number you can enter hence enter 1827.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

If the total number of days between the date the applicant became a PR and date the application is signed is less than 1827, enter that number.

If the total number of days between the date the applicant became a PR and date the application is signed is 1827 or more, enter 1827.

AN OBSERVATION:

Generally I refrain from offering advice. But this advice is easy: BEST TO USE THE ONLINE PRESENCE CALCULATOR and NOT use CIT 0407.

Mostly, the online calculator is better because it typically results in fewer mistakes, but I also suspect IRCC prefers it, and relies on it more readily than CIT 0407.

Technically it is OK to use CIT 0407.

In particular, the way the online calculator works, practically, the online calculator eliminates many of the mistakes that are so easily made (it will not allow some types of data entry and will prompt error messages or warnings for others), and it totally eliminates arithmetic mistakes. While this is largely an advantage for the applicant, there is also reason to believe that IRCC officials are far more comfortable relying on the printed output from the online calculator. For one thing, they know they do not need to check the arithmetic, and can focus on verifying travel dates and such.

For example: the online calculator automatically calculates and determines the number of days in the applicant's eligibility period and the number of days the applicant has been a PR. The question you asked here would not even come up when using the online calculator.

And, while I am NOT sure of this part, it is my impression that the CIT 0407 is more commonly used when there is an unauthorized consultant involved. If IRCC shares that impression, submitting CIT 0407 and NOT a printout from the online presence calculator may risk some degree of elevated scrutiny.

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
Thank you for your replies.
@dpenabill
In my case, the dates are pretty straightforward since I did not leave the country during the past five years, so there won't be any issues with the IRCC Officials in terms of arithmetic, verification, ... etc. Thanks for the clarification though.